F**k You 2016

Quark

3 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

2016 has been dreadful - losing Bowie and then Prince was dreadful and Brexit and Trump. On a personal note my dad passed away in October after we had nursed him at home, that Leonard Cohen album was always on as we came to terms with his terminal illness and passing and now we have lost him as well. Its hard to take.

Maybe as we get older this is what its like though. 

RIP your dad.

My parents are old and frail. I know I will take comfort in the music of the likes of leonard cohen when the time comes. Thank god we have it.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an old Chinese proverb (or for Pratchett fans a Klatchian proverb) that is also sort of an insult, that goes: May you live in interesting times.  

I think we are unlucky enough to be living in interesting times at the moment.  It feels a bit like 89 before the drugs, music and fantastic summer saved us.

Thanks for posting the Beans on toast vid.  I drowned my sorrows on Brexit afternoon in the Leftfield tent, surrounded by fellow souls in a shared experience and his heartfelt performances that day really struck a chord.

9 minutes ago, marcoolio said:

Can't help but notice you left out Geert Wilders in that statement, which is quite depressing to me.

And of course, we also thought Trump had no chance.

I left wilders out because I dont know as much about dutch politics, but you always have coalitions dont you? would anyone be prepared to go into a coalition with the PVV? 

If I was ISIS though I would be absolutely targeting amsterdam for attack, to push more voters into his arms

1 hour ago, giantkatestacks said:

2016 has been dreadful - losing Bowie and then Prince was dreadful and Brexit and Trump. On a personal note my dad passed away in October after we had nursed him at home, that Leonard Cohen album was always on as we came to terms with his terminal illness and passing and now we have lost him as well. Its hard to take.

Maybe as we get older this is what its like though. 

My dad died last year, also after nursing him at home - it's hard to articulate how brutal it is. Two uncles have died since, tories won the election the day of his funeral, brexit, Trump, no fricking glastonbury ticket this year,  all the deaths of all the artists I loved. An ill wind is blowing!  I guess I was lucky getting to 36 without really experiencing much death, I guess I too am feeling that maybe this is life as you get older. 

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I left wilders out because I dont know as much about dutch politics, but you always have coalitions dont you? would anyone be prepared to go into a coalition with the PVV? 

You'd think not, but they sort of already did in 2010, when the right-wing VVD and the christian CDA formed a minority coalition, with the PVV functioning as "support", meaning they weren't an active part of the government but would add their MP's in the House to make a majority possible. This coalition fell apart in 2012 when Wilders pulled his support because he didn't agree with the budget for 2013, and we had to have a new election.

The PVV has also been (and still is) part of a number of coalitions on Municipal and Provincial levels.

If he gains enough seats to become the biggest party, I have no doubt that the first attempt(s) at a coalition will have to include him.

16 minutes ago, russycarps said:

If I was ISIS though I would be absolutely targeting amsterdam for attack, to push more voters into his arms

Yeah, thanks for that.

1 minute ago, marcoolio said:

You'd think not, but they sort of already did in 2010, when the right-wing VVD and the christian CDA formed a minority coalition, with the PVV functioning as "support", meaning they weren't an active part of the government but would add their MP's in the House to make a majority possible. This coalition fell apart in 2012 when Wilders pulled his support because he didn't agree with the budget for 2013, and we had to have a new election.

The PVV has also been (and still is) part of a number of coalitions on Municipal and Provincial levels.

If he gains enough seats to become the biggest party, I have no doubt that the first attempt(s) at a coalition will have to include him.

Interesting, thanks for the insight. 

1 minute ago, marcoolio said:

Yeah, thanks for that.

of course i hope it doesnt happen. But any major european country with an election coming up is an obvious target. Netherlands, germany, france.

If the threat is actually as great as the authorities would have us believe of course.

The deaths this year have been brutal, but that is party due to the ageing of our celebrities. Just a terrible run that feels all the worse because of who they were.

The rise of populists isn't a terrible run though its just due. Its indicative of human nature to just generally fuck everything up every few generations. If we can't have a plague or a famine seems we have to self-destruct some other way. We are hard-wired to do it. Peace in Europe for 70 years? Yeah that's long enough for peoples memories to fail, so lets bitch about what we don't have, lets look back to some invented rose tinted past, lets find some poor group to blame and then lets generally start to fuck ourselves in the arse, women children first of course as per..... and then when there's fuck all left, we can all come back together. to promise this time we'll learn from our past mistakes, we'll understand that maybe those who tell us they're going to make us 'great again' with their meaningless sound bites and faked indignation, with their cynical manipulation of the facts, who tell us that our neighbours are our enemies, that they are actually just full of the same old shit, just like they always been.

Which will last for a generation, maybe two, before the whole sorry mess can start all over again.

I had faith we'd learnt this time, but no, looks like we really are destined to make fuck it up over and over again. Brexit, Trump, Farage, Boris, Le Pen, Wilders, Putin et al, same old snake oil salesmen selling the same old snake oil to the same old crowd.

2016 a truly shit year, but one we've had before and one sadly we'll no doubt have again. 

Happy weekend btw x

39 minutes ago, marcoolio said:

The polls I've seen  are currently not looking good in this respect when we factor in the 'shy right winger' effect we've seen in the U.K. and USA 

3 minutes ago, fur_q said:

People said the same about Trump. If Hollande runs again and Sarkozy wins the republican nomination I think it's a very real possibility. 

Hollande won't run again he has p'd off everyone! Didn't he have a 90% disaproval rating? 

4 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I went to Lisbon this year too, but fortunately no one died- unless that's when Blake from blakes 7 died- when the heck did that happen?! 

Three things seem to keep happening this year:

1. People going to Portugal on holiday 

2.Horrific political events

3. Greats dying

I went to Portugal for a big extended family holiday this year and, for various reasons, it turned into the holiday from hell.

My bad year was compounded in October when I failed to get Glastonbury tickets for the first time in years, so now have to hold on till the resale.  I just hope that the misery of 2016 isn't going to extend into 2017.

15 minutes ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

I went to Portugal in March this year. It was ok, if a bit cold and rainy.

Maybe we can blame the Portuguese for all this misery?

Ack, all these people who would still be alive if only we hadn't all visited Portugal at various times in the year!

In Portugals defense, I went in September and it was perfect- blue sky and sunny every day- I liked Lisbon, Porto was nice, I liked those castles in Sintra and the beaches down south were nice and also not very busy (probably most of the revellers had died earlier in the year).

Edited by Mr.Tease

3 hours ago, Spindles said:

Thanks for posting the Beans on toast vid.  I drowned my sorrows on Brexit afternoon in the Leftfield tent, surrounded by fellow souls in a shared experience and his heartfelt performances that day really struck a chord.

:-) I'm glad you were able to have that shared experience and that Beans played a part.  I saw him on the Saturday afternoon, he did "2016" and said it was the first time he'd performed it.