Questions from a Glasto newbie

Richi1988

Managed to get tickets for the first time yesterday after a few failed attempts! I've been to many a fest but I reckon Glasto is going to be a completely different kettle of fish and have a few questions for the regulars to help if possible.

1. Any idea on coach times from Liverpool? (I'm coming from the Isle of Man so need to plan well in advance)

2. How easy/hard is it to get from stage to stage to catch bands?

3. Arriving at gate A on the coach, where would be the best place to camp as to not be a mission from the stages?

4.what do I NOT want to miss out on experiencing?

5.how much spending money do you need from wed-sun?

6. Is the venue like Leeds fest, i.e. You go into the arena or can you just wander round with your own booze?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Richi1988 said:

Managed to get tickets for the first time yesterday after a few failed attempts! I've been to many a fest but I reckon Glasto is going to be a completely different kettle of fish and have a few questions for the regulars to help if possible.

1. Any idea on coach times from Liverpool? (I'm coming from the Isle of Man so need to plan well in advance)

3. Arriving at gate A on the coach, where would be the best place to camp as to not be a mission from the stages?

6. Is the venue like Leeds fest, i.e. You go into the arena or can you just wander round with your own booze?

Lucky you getting tickets.

1) Coach times are issued April/May I think but someone on here will have last years Liverpool times I am sure.

2) Depends on the weather and what stages and what time of day. Attached is an old file of rough times.

3) Million dollar question that one, you need to look at the site map and work out where you prefer to camp.

4) Anything and everything. Just go with the flow and take in as much as you can. I managed 25% ish on my first visit.

5) Depends on how much you eat and drink. £4.50 a pint ish and £8-10 a meal but you can spend lots more or lots less.

6) Take your own drink anywhere, just not in glass. Never been to Leeds but I guess this is a million times better.

5 minutes ago, Richi1988 said:

1. Only Liverpool departure options are in the middle of the night - horrible to catch

2. next to impossible, pick one stage and stick there

3. With your departure (answer 1) you'll be lucky to find any space left, so just pitch anywhere you can....you'll be a minimum of a couple of miles from any stage

4. Mud

5. about £1000 minimum

6. no booze allowed to be taken in or sold on site at all - it's T total

16 minutes ago, Richi1988 said:

Image result for welcome to the party pal gif

13 minutes ago, not worthy said:

1. Only Liverpool departure options are in the middle of the night - horrible to catch

2. next to impossible, pick one stage and stick there

3. With your departure (answer 1) you'll be lucky to find any space left, so just pitch anywhere you can....you'll be a minimum of a couple of miles from any stage

4. Mud

5. about £1000 minimum

6. no booze allowed to be taken in or sold on site at all - it's T total

Naughty 
Charm x

I'm reading this thread and getting mixed signals about it (possibly because I've only had about six hours sleep in the last three dyas). You see, I can read not worthy's posts as humourous, but can also read them as possibly being received by Richi1988, a newcomer to Glastonbury, as a little hostile. Somebody please tell me what I should think? I'm kinda certain that not worthy's comments are anything but humourous really, but can't get clarity because of this niggling voice in the back of my mind.

14 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm reading this thread and getting mixed signals about it (possibly because I've only had about six hours sleep in the last three dyas). You see, I can read not worthy's posts as humourous, but can also read them as possibly being received by Richi1988, a newcomer to Glastonbury, as a little hostile. Somebody please tell me what I should think? I'm kinda certain that not worthy's comments are anything but humourous really, but can't get clarity because of this niggling voice in the back of my mind.

aw shit, now forced by Yog to have to come clean!!!!!

Welcome Richi, well done for getting tickets

I was joking after failing last night....I'll be trying again on Sunday.

You'll have the best time ever and will never want to miss a year in future.

All the advice to any question you have can be gained from the lovely people (bar a few!!!) on here.

OK Yog!!!?

Edited by not worthy

Just now, not worthy said:

aw shit, now forced by Yog to have to come clean!!!!!

Welcome Richi, well done for getting tickets and for joining efests.

I was joking after failing last night....I'll be trying again on Sunday.

You'll have the best time ever and will never want to miss a year in future.

All the advice to any question you have can be gained from the lovely people (bar a few!!!) on here.

OK Yog!!!?

My sincere apologies not worthy. I really didn't think that you would be hostile but just couldn't get my head around it. I've been on copious amounts of speed for three days and nights and am today feeling a little jumpy. I'm going to have a drink now to calm myself down. I hope that you weren't offended by my questioning things. :)

18 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

My sincere apologies not worthy. I really didn't think that you would be hostile but just couldn't get my head around it. I've been on copious amounts of speed for three days and nights and am today feeling a little jumpy. I'm going to have a drink now to calm myself down. I hope that you weren't offended by my questioning things. :)

Love this. Copious amounts! hahaha.

1 hour ago, Richi1988 said:

1. As above, the times will be mailed out nearer the time, by the end of May.

2. It can take a while.  The chart posted by @Nobody Interesting gives a good indication, although this will be increased in mud (like this year) and when planning before the festival, bear in mind that there can be plenty of happy distractions along the way.

3. It really depends on which stages you're interested in.  As you'll see on the maps above, the camping is all over the site, as are the stages. Ultimately, you're there for 5 days, if you're really interested in a particular area of the site, then camp nearby. I wouldn't factor in the walk from the gate too much, as you'll make it up over the festival.

4. Tricky question.  There are things that are really good -a Pyramid headliner, going up the Ribbon Tower at night, spending time in the SE corner after hours, sitting around in The Park, having a pint from the Cider Bus, the eFests meetup - but I've had brilliant Glastonburys without doing any of these things.  There are no hard rules.

5. Need is a strong word.  £100 a day is very comfortable, but you can get that way, way down depending on how much stuff you bring with you.

6. There are no arena perimeters.  You can take as much booze in as you can carry and you can take it anywhere.  I've heard of some bars frowning on people taking their own booze in, but I've never actually seen it.

3 minutes ago, cammie81 said:

Good for most stages but John Peel and Arcadia have both moved since I reckon (Park to Arcadia now 5 mins) and don't think Spirit of '71 is still there.

Yeah, it's still a good general indicator of the scale of the place but quite a lot has changed since 2011.  In fact, it's quite a reminder of how much things have changed!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Liverpool coach times for last year...

"The Liverpool coaches have been provisionally booked to depart at 6am, 8am, 10am or 12pm.
 We have return coaches running on Monday at 5:30am, 7:30am, 10:30am, 1pm. And 3:30pm
 It's unlikely that the times will change, however we do reserve the right to amend them if necessary.
 The final details will be confirmed on your eticket which will be sent no later than 30 days before the festival. "

I'll bump the thread as a few have queried times.

1 hour ago, Richi1988 said:

As Brave Sir Robin said, read Tort's guide.  Then spend between now and June reading these forums.

You won't be able to "plan well in advance" as they don't tell you the time of your coach until a couple of weeks before which is really irritating.   I went by coach last year (from Birmingham not Liverpool) and I would suggest booking a cheap hotel room the night before just in case - make sure you can cancel if you don't need it though (my coach went mid morning in the end so I didn't need the room.  I don't know about planning on your trip from Isle of Man though.  Maybe you'll just have to book it for the day before regardless and resign yourself to having an overnight in Liverpool anyway?

Very jealous. I missed out yesterday.