NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

It can all be a bit daunting! Sounds like you're doing the right thing though - and if it all gets a bit too much then a lie down sounds good. In he sun, preferably :)

49 minutes ago, Quark said:

Sounds promising Scruff!

In general I find that lying down in the sun for a bit can solve a lot of problems.  Particularly if accompanied by cold cider / spiced rum & ginger / gin & tonic :)

I've got a cider in the fridge at home that I may have whilst lying in the sun later on! Splendid! 

43 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Morning all...another beautiful day in Somerset. 

35 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Good morning

Counting down the hours to get out of work and go for a swim in the sea

I love this weather !

FFxx

9 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

I've got a cider in the fridge at home that I may have whilst lying in the sun later on! Splendid! 

The weather is very splendid indeed. I will also get to enjoy it now as it turns out my company's Annual Strategic Review which is taking place today (which I'm leading, gulp!) is taking place at a lovely riverside restaurant. They also have boats you can rent etc. so may see if the Director's want to let off some steam and fancy a paddle! :)

Finally home... what a day. Weather has yet again been superb! Didn't go paddling in the end though!

Travel update: Hotel was cancelled as expected, looks like we're going to book the room again. Found the room on another website that's only a little bit more than originally paid, so think we're going to at least secure the room again (Nan really likes this particular hotel), and then look at the various options of trying to claim back the original cost of the cancelled room. The new travel agent is ATOL protected, and going to ensure the rooms are paid on a credit card. Only need to pay £1 now, remainder due 2 weeks before (we're going beginning of November) so that buys us some time to try and reclaim the lost monies. Phew! And breathe...

Fingers crossed on a happy ending, but feeling much more positive than I was over the weekend! :)

Edited by djdavejohnson

2 hours ago, djdavejohnson said:

Fingers crossed on a happy ending, but feeling much more positive than I was over the weekend! :)

Glad to hear it's looking more positive, fingers crossed on reclaiming the cash.

However, there is no way I'm letting that one go without a FINBARR!!

49 minutes ago, Quark said:

Glad to hear it's looking more positive, fingers crossed on reclaiming the cash.

However, there is no way I'm letting that one go without a FINBARR!!

Thanks Quark :)

Right, being a newb around this thread means I'm entitled to ask dumb questions. My understanding is that you get Finbarred for a sexual innuendo. Is my understanding correct? 

I know, I'm wrestling with how ashamed I am of myself to ask... however if I'm gonna get Finbarred I need to know what I've done to put myself in that position... ;)

38 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Right, being a newb around this thread means I'm entitled to ask dumb questions. My understanding is that you get Finbarred for a sexual innuendo. Is my understanding correct? 

I know, I'm wrestling with how ashamed I am of myself to ask... however if I'm gonna get Finbarred I need to know what I've done to put myself in that position... ;)

Correctamundo. From the legendary Finbarr Saunders and his double entendres.

And believe me, the last thing you want is to get finbarred by @Scruffylovemonster. I've never been the same since.

Never listened to war on drugs Gumby, I shall be correcting this oversight tomorrow.

40 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

You're kind of right. Any innuendo can be Finbarred, but the best Finbarrs, the creme de la creme if you will, are those where there was absolutely no intention of innuendo by the original poster. 

I know it sounds like I've given this more thought than it warrants, but I have a 3 year old child, so the only intelligent conversation I get is when I talk to myself! 

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Correctamundo. From the legendary Finbarr Saunders and his double entendres.

And believe me, the last thing you want is to get finbarred by @Scruffylovemonster. I've never been the same since.

Never listened to war on drugs Gumby, I shall be correcting this oversight tomorrow.

Thanks for the clarification Quark. I'll now sleep well tonight.

5 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

You're kind of right. Any innuendo can be Finbarred, but the best Finbarrs, the creme de la creme if you will, are those where there was absolutely no intention of innuendo by the original poster. 

I know it sounds like I've given this more thought than it warrants, but I have a 3 year old child, so the only intelligent conversation I get is when I talk to myself! 

Ha thanks Gumby :)

Think I've got it - everyone as you were...

23 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

It's the Lake District CurlyGirl, absolutely anything is possible! Especially since summer was on a Tuesday this year! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful festival, have you been before?

Shaun.

Yeah I went last year, it was equal in mud to this years Glastonbury. But 291mm?? 

25 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

Yeah I went last year, it was equal in mud to this years Glastonbury. But 291mm?? 

While it was very muddy last year, the increased footfall at glastonbury made it 10 times worse in my opinion. Just in the depth of mud alone. 291mm does seem very excessive though to be honest and I suspect it's a mistake and supposed to read 29.1mm. To put it into perspective 341mm fell during storm Desmond back in December. The previous record for cumbria was around 320mm.

Shaun.

Wow what a day again. Went for a sea swim after work yesterday and sat on the beach ... Same planned for tonight except body board is in the car, along with a salad so I don't have to leave until it gets dark. So determined to make the most of this weather, it's due for 35 degrees today and there really is only one place to be, but first work lol 

Just now, Funkyfairy! said:

Wow what a day again. Went for a sea swim after work yesterday and sat on the beach ... Same planned for tonight except body board is in the car, along with a salad so I don't have to leave until it gets dark. So determined to make the most of this weather, it's due for 35 degrees today and there really is only one place to be, but first work lol 

That sounds like a belter of a plan FF.

Unfortunately not quite as enjoyable an evening for me.  First pre-season training session tonight; I imagine I shall be unbearably hot and probably throw up at least once.  Fun times!

But......NFC - no f*ckin' compromise!

16 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

That sounds awesome! I should make a little bit more effort to get to the beach really, it's only about 20mins or so away. Although not sure if you can swim there. Hmm, will have to look into this.

15 minutes ago, Quark said:

That sounds like a belter of a plan FF.

Unfortunately not quite as enjoyable an evening for me.  First pre-season training session tonight; I imagine I shall be unbearably hot and probably throw up at least once.  Fun times!

But......NFC - no f*ckin' compromise!

Ooooh, good luck! It'll be tough especially being the first one in a while. I'm currently out of action as I injured my shoulder a couple of weeks ago playing squash. Itching to get back but need to rest it another few weeks yet... :(

5 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Ooooh, good luck! It'll be tough especially being the first one in a while. I'm currently out of action as I injured my shoulder a couple of weeks ago playing squash. Itching to get back but need to rest it another few weeks yet... :(

Ah, shoulders.  Horribly familiar. Hope yours is just a strain rather than anything serious?  Had years of problems with AC joint on one side and rotator cuff on the other, never catastrophic but always niggly enough to be sore.

We can compare war wounds next year :)

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Ah, shoulders.  Horribly familiar. Hope yours is just a strain rather than anything serious?  Had years of problems with AC joint on one side and rotator cuff on the other, never catastrophic but always niggly enough to be sore.

We can compare war wounds next year :)

Oh dear! :(

No nothing too serious, a bit of a tear in the muscle. When I initially did it it was bloody painful though, and was getting fairly substantial pain in the bottom of my rib cage as well. Went to see a physio and apparently that's normal in the circumstances, just gotta rest up.

Funnily enough I actually hurt the shoulder at the fest, I absentmindedly picked up a camping bag with one hand whilst twisting to talk to some friends. Was bothering me for the rest of the weekend on and off and so rested it for a week when I got back. Thought it was ok, went back to squash and then bam.

Haha yes, we can. Sport's good for us apparently. Though the more I age, the more I'm starting to question that! :)

1 hour ago, djdavejohnson said:

Morning all, looks like we're in for a scorcher! :sungum:

Morning folks, looks like the sun has finally shown up and you all get the chance to enjoy a bit of it. Talking of scorchers by the way, it hit 51 degrees here yesterday!:blink: that's not a typo either. Scorcher isn't the word I used when I had to go out and work in it!

3 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Morning folks, looks like the sun has finally shown up and you all get the chance to enjoy a bit of it. Talking of scorchers by the way, it hit 51 degrees here yesterday!:blink: that's not a typo either. Scorcher isn't the word I used when I had to go out and work in it!

Wow, that is bloody hot! Where are you working? What do you do?