NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Quark said:

...thanks for the insights.  I'm almost certain that I'll love a solo experience, but it's useful to have some of what I'm thinking validated by people who have done it.  I keep thinking about the acts I've seen, missed, left halfway through or stood on the edge of rather than get involved due to being in a group, and just want to have at it my way!

The solo camp group is an interesting one, especially if there's a campfire / social area as that's the bit I'll probably miss a bit. Will have to look on that thread and get a feel for it!

Is going solo something that's on the table? If it is, then I say go for it!

1 minute ago, djdavejohnson said:

Is going solo something that's on the table? If it is, then I say go for it!

Very much so.  Normally go with brother in law and a group of his friends (although 5 festivals in we're one big Glasto Family!), but they're not coming next year as we're doing Benicassim for his 40th.  I've done the maths and worked out I "should" be able to do both.  I'd said to them before this even came up that I'd be interested in trying a solo effort, and fate has now presented me with an opportunity!

If I choose not to go it won't because solo has fazed me, it'll just be because I can't afford it! Just trying to get as much info from people who've experienced flying solo as possible.  The big mistake I made this year was not being prepared for how a muddy year (this was my first one) would affect my plans on site, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have done.  If I go on my own I want to avoid that by being as informed as possible :)

1 minute ago, deebeedoobee said:

Bugger I'm in the wrong thread

You're safe Dee.  There's far more falling over whilst twatted than performances of classical choral works.  I know because I have never performed a choral work, but I have fallen over whilst twatted many many many many times :)

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

Very much so.  Normally go with brother in law and a group of his friends (although 5 festivals in we're one big Glasto Family!), but they're not coming next year as we're doing Benicassim for his 40th.  I've done the maths and worked out I "should" be able to do both.  I'd said to them before this even came up that I'd be interested in trying a solo effort, and fate has now presented me with an opportunity!

If I choose not to go it won't because solo has fazed me, it'll just be because I can't afford it! Just trying to get as much info from people who've experienced flying solo as possible.  The big mistake I made this year was not being prepared for how a muddy year (this was my first one) would affect my plans on site, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have done.  If I go on my own I want to avoid that by being as informed as possible :)

Well that's great, and hopefully squeezed finances won't prevent you from what fate has thrown your way! And definitely a wise idea to become as informed as possible.

Having said that, next year is going to be really sunny, therefore mud won't be a problem... :)

36 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Bugger I'm in the wrong thread

30 minutes ago, Quark said:

You're safe Dee.  There's far more falling over whilst twatted than performances of classical choral works.  I know because I have never performed a choral work, but I have fallen over whilst twatted many many many many times :)

Panic ye not!! 

Maybe I should do a performance of a choral work whilst falling over in mud twatted? 

5 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

Dooo iiitt!! 

Which festival is it this week? 

Beatherder in Lancashire. 

I've had medical advice ..Only need maleria and bubonic plague inoculations ;-)

Jokes obvs 

Primal scream were headlining before the accident  (they were bloody stalking me at every festival ) now it's James

4 hours ago, lucyginger said:

In other news, has anyone been to Skye? Is September a good time to go? 

Hello lucy. I've not been to Skye but have done a few islands on the west coast of Scotland. There can still be midges around in September so if you are going then make sure you have insect repellant (deet). As for the weather that's in the lap of the Gods. The scenery is truly stunning though.

Just had to share a quick something that made me laugh.  A lot.

My brother is away for work a lot and largely lives in hotel rooms.  He also runs, so he has a well stocked bathroom / washbag.

He has now concluded that he needs to clear it out a bit.  At first he thought something was seriously wrong with his hotel room's water supply, until he realised that he'd just brushed his teeth with Savlon antiseptic cream :rofl:

41 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello lucy. I've not been to Skye but have done a few islands on the west coast of Scotland. There can still be midges around in September so if you are going then make sure you have insect repellant (deet). As for the weather that's in the lap of the Gods. The scenery is truly stunning though.

Hello! Thanks Yog, we're thinking either September, or next May. We'd be staying in a basic cabin on an eco campsite, it looks like the Greenfields :) We'd have to be very prepared for everything! Thanks for the advise, arming ourselves with deet would be top of the list. I've never been to Scotland, it looks amazing. 

41 minutes ago, Quark said:

My brother is away for work a lot and largely lives in hotel rooms.  He also runs, so he has a well stocked bathroom / washbag.

He has now concluded that he needs to clear it out a bit.  At first he thought something was seriously wrong with his hotel room's water supply, until he realised that he'd just brushed his teeth with Savlon antiseptic cream :rofl:

Hahahaha!!!!! Oh dear!! he won't make that mistake again will he!! 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

At least it wasn't Anusol..

6 hours ago, lucyginger said:

Morning! 

I managed choir last night, hoorah! :) 

In other news, has anyone been to Skye? Is September a good time to go? 

September and May tend to be the better months in Scotland, though as Yog says the midges will still be a problem in September.  Avon's Skin so Soft body lotion is supposed to be a good insect repellent.  The Cuillin mountains on Skye are fabulous. You might have gorgeous weather or constant wet stuff, but it's still beautiful.

Well done managing choir.  Ours doesn't start again til September, so my bestie and I are just doing the 'going to the pub after'  part of choir on Monday nights. Seems to work very well.

Just now, dizzymoo said:

September and May tend to be the better months in Scotland, though as Yog says the midges will still be a problem in September.  Avon's Skin so Soft body lotion is supposed to be a good insect repellent.  The Cuillin mountains on Skye are fabulous. You might have gorgeous weather or constant wet stuff, but it's still beautiful.

Well done managing choir.  Ours doesn't start again til September, so my bestie and I are just doing the 'going to the pub after'  part of choir on Monday nights. Seems to work very well.

Will there be less midges in May do you reckon? I really don't know what to do! Will chat with Mr G later. Thanks for the tips, it does indeed look like a beautiful place :) 

Ooh I do like your choir/pub idea! 

8 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

Will there be less midges in May do you reckon? I really don't know what to do! Will chat with Mr G later. Thanks for the tips, it does indeed look like a beautiful place :) 

Ooh I do like your choir/pub idea! 

It's a while since we've been,  but I don't remember midges being a problem in May at all. We were by/in rivers most of the time (gold panning), so we would definitely have noticed.

40 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

It's a while since we've been,  but I don't remember midges being a problem in May at all. We were by/in rivers most of the time (gold panning), so we would definitely have noticed.

I've read so much about midges now, I think we'll just have to chance it as it doesnt seem to be conclusive, but mid September or May seem to be ok. Bit like the weather though,  completely unpredictable! 

Gold panning sounds fun! 

Evening all, seeing as trips away are being discussed, I'm heading to Amsterdam, Lanzarote and Thailand between September and November (I'm not normally so lucky - Amsterdam is a surprise weekend break for my partner for a bigger birthday, Nan decided she wanted to take the family away as we haven't been away as a family for about 15 years, and Thailand is my and my partners annual holiday that we've both had to work a lot of overtime for to be able to afford!) - has anybody been to either of those? And if so do you have any tips you wouldn't mind sharing?

Many thanks! :)

6 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Evening all, seeing as trips away are being discussed, I'm heading to Amsterdam, Lanzarote and Thailand between September and November (I'm not normally so lucky - Amsterdam is a surprise weekend break for my partner for a bigger birthday, Nan decided she wanted to take the family away as we haven't been away as a family for about 15 years, and Thailand is my and my partners annual holiday that we've both had to work a lot of overtime for to be able to afford!) - has anybody been to either of those? And if so do you have any tips you wouldn't mind sharing?

Many thanks! :)

Been to all 3 :-) and sounds like you have a great last part of the year :-)

Where abouts in Thailand are you heading ? Beautiful country, and I spent a month in Khao Lak a few  years ago.  Went to Lanzarote about 30 years ago, and to be honest I can't remember a lot apart from bars and beaches lol