NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

7 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Well two of the young lads have gone to bed. One of them is still up but feeling a little psychotic. And acting it if I may add. Haven't been to bed yet myself and have to head off to London at about 4pm, so can't see the point in bothering going to bed now. Really not sure how this family event will pan out this evening. Fortunately it's not my family, so I don't have any anxiety about going to it.

You've really got to start planning easier weekends for yourself Yog! Hope the family do goes OK, maybe a wee power nap before then?

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Quark said:

You've really got to start planning easier weekends for yourself Yog! Hope the family do goes OK, maybe a wee power nap before then?

My wife and I dream about easier weekends. The trouble is that people just invite themselves over to ours or actually just turn up without prior warning. We keep on trying to be strong against this avalanche, but essentially we don't like to let everybody down. In fact, me and my wife talked about this situation last night. She indicated that wouldn't it be weird tonight when somebody will be entertaining us rather than the other way around.

No chance of a power nap - I've been snorting speed like a man possessed throughout the night. Strangely enough, and fortunately enough, I haven't drank a lot of alcohol, so I'm still feeling tickety boo.

You are right though - a good spell of not being naughty is in order.

12 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

My wife and I dream about easier weekends. The trouble is that people just invite themselves over to ours or actually just turn up without prior warning. We keep on trying to be strong against this avalanche, but essentially we don't like to let everybody down. In fact, me and my wife talked about this situation last night. She indicated that wouldn't it be weird tonight when somebody will be entertaining us rather than the other way around.

No chance of a power nap - I've been snorting speed like a man possessed throughout the night. Strangely enough, and fortunately enough, I haven't drank a lot of alcohol, so I'm still feeling tickety boo.

You are right though - a good spell of not being naughty is in order.

Yep you've got no chance of sleeping!!

Unfortunately saying no to people is a bugger, especially when they're used to you always being available and willing, and the fear (?) of letting people down is a strong pull. But sometimes you've got to be selfish!

Couple of years ago I was becoming insufferably irritable and snappy, almost permanently, by saying yes to everything and everyone and losing all my own time control. Starting to say no and reclaiming that time really helped me to rebalance (that and the occasional smoke ;) )

Everyone's an expert and has an opinion, but I know at least some of the feeling. And if you don't control your time some other bugger will! Bloody time thieves :lol:

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yep you've got no chance of sleeping!!

Unfortunately saying no to people is a bugger, especially when they're used to you always being available and willing, and the fear (?) of letting people down is a strong pull. But sometimes you've got to be selfish!

Couple of years ago I was becoming insufferably irritable and snappy, almost permanently, by saying yes to everything and everyone and losing all my own time control. Starting to say no and reclaiming that time really helped me to rebalance (that and the occasional smoke ;) )

Everyone's an expert and has an opinion, but I know at least some of the feeling. And if you don't control your time some other bugger will! Bloody time thieves :lol:

You are right, of course. My wife and I have talked about it for ages now but then something happens and somebody turns up one night. Then the next night somebody else or even more people turn up, then other people turn up the next day etc. What people don't realise is that others have been the day before them, or will come the day after them ie they all get a break, but we don't seem to get any respite. We have got to be stronger about this. I have even thought about writing an email to everyone we know saying that we are having time out and please don't call in for a month or so. I never get around to creating and sending that email though.

I agree on planning the easier weekends or at least getting to a happy place. Our life has been manic for the past year and we're just coming to a better time. It's all good in one sense, but has been severe ups and downs. So, our happy place today is to get into the van and go to Ashbourne, and get away from it all. Warm handshakes y'all and hope you feel good, and get sorted in your heads.

I shouldn't tell people what to do. But Yog, send that email.

For anyone else who finds it hard to say no, I've got a Tinariwen ticket selling cheap in the ticket thread for Leeds on Nov 4th....

55 minutes ago, carlosj said:

I agree on planning the easier weekends or at least getting to a happy place. Our life has been manic for the past year and we're just coming to a better time. It's all good in one sense, but has been severe ups and downs. So, our happy place today is to get into the van and go to Ashbourne, and get away from it all. Warm handshakes y'all and hope you feel good, and get sorted in your heads.

I shouldn't tell people what to do. But Yog, send that email.

For anyone else who finds it hard to say no, I've got a Tinariwen ticket selling cheap in the ticket thread for Leeds on Nov 4th....

We love going away in the campervan too. Unfortunately ours is poorly right now so can't be driven. Love being in it when it does work though. We do tend to get some peace then, but it's not been unknown for people to pile in to it en-masse whilst on the session ie it still doesn't guarantee time out.

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

You are right, of course. My wife and I have talked about it for ages now but then something happens and somebody turns up one night. Then the next night somebody else or even more people turn up, then other people turn up the next day etc. What people don't realise is that others have been the day before them, or will come the day after them ie they all get a break, but we don't seem to get any respite. We have got to be stronger about this. I have even thought about writing an email to everyone we know saying that we are having time out and please don't call in for a month or so. I never get around to creating and sending that email though.

People must like you if they keep coming to see you so that is good

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

We love going away in the campervan too. Unfortunately ours is poorly right now so can't be driven. Love being in it when it does work though. We do tend to get some peace then, but it's not been unknown for people to pile in to it en-masse whilst on the session ie it still doesn't guarantee time out.

Sounds like you need a ticket for next year as the only way to get some peace!

Niece and nephew with us tonight. There's something immensely satisfying about watching the next generation get as frustrated with the original Sonic the Hedgehog as I did as a kid :lol:

So this time next week we'll be in New York and to keep things weather related it looks like it will be a balmy 16-17 degrees. Also just printed off our tickets to see Animal Collective @bennyhana22, the venue is a 35 minute walk from the hotel right by all the magnificent sights so I count that as Glasto training. 

I could wee with excitement!!!! 

9 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

So this time next week we'll be in New York and to keep things weather related it looks like it will be a balmy 16-17 degrees. Also just printed off our tickets to see Animal Collective @bennyhana22, the venue is a 35 minute walk from the hotel right by all the magnificent sights so I count that as Glasto training. 

I could wee with excitement!!!! 

I won't lie, Humvee. I am jealous!

Have a brilliant time in NY with AC! 

:)

Ben x

30 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Sorry Sweetcheeks, wasnt trying to make you jealous, Just endearing myself for some cool muso brownie points. Lol

I don't have a clue who you're talking about, so that makes you cool. Or me uncool. I'm not sure which.

Good work Ben, that's some techno stamina right there!

3 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

I'm so excited for June!!! Just booked flights to Spain the day after. Shits getting real!! 

So tempted to take a leaf from your book and do the same. There has been talk since we got back from Worthy. Will see and take a view in the new year. 

56 minutes ago, Quark said:

Gone for the rum and ginger with the Appleton instead of the spiced @H.M.V, good call! :P

Somewhat unlikely you'd have heard it Q,  but the (female) master blender from Appletons was being interviewed on Woman's Hour this week by a very giggly Jenni Murray who wasn't really up to sampling rum at 10.30 am.  Apparently the perfect accompaniment is chocolate-dipped strawberries.

10 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

Somewhat unlikely you'd have heard it Q,  but the (female) master blender from Appletons was being interviewed on Woman's Hour this week by a very giggly Jenni Murray who wasn't really up to sampling rum at 10.30 am.  Apparently the perfect accompaniment is chocolate-dipped strawberries.

Might have to see if I can find that on catchup dizzy :)

You know that I said that me and my wife weren't going to go to Glastonbury next year - well that's no longer the case. Once my wife heard that Radiohead are playing she now wants to go to see them at all costs. She first heard the band when she was locked up in a psychiatric unit after having made a serious attempt at taking her own life. While in there here brother visited and gave her a cd of the band. She listened to it over and over and over again, and it got her out of the dark place where she was in.

I'd love for her to see the band live at Glastonbury, so any offers of help come the resales would be beyond fantastic. I, for one, would be eternally grateful as I'd love to make this experience come true for her.

Forgive me if you see this posted elsewhere, but I've just got to make this happen.