Brexit at Glastonbury 2016 - a video compilation

Sidasta

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most artists were more noticeable in them not saying anything. Most I saw was Damon who behaved, and Adele and Ellie Goulding giving speeches about love. Surprised The 1975, who I would have assumed were on a tight management leash, were the ones to say the most. I thought it might be the BBC, but I guess it more likely to be management, or the artists themselves, just not wanting to alienate any of their fan base. Fair play to the 1975 actually. 

4 minutes ago, Festival Liam said:

Most artists were more noticeable in them not saying anything. Most I saw was Damon who behaved, and Adele and Ellie Goulding giving speeches about love. Surprised The 1975, who I would have assumed were on a tight management leash, were the ones to say the most. I thought it might be the BBC, but I guess it more likely to be management, or the artists themselves, just not wanting to alienate any of their fan base. Fair play to the 1975 actually. 

Matt Healy tends to show his emotions during The 1975 shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3P6tNXJpBM

I wanted to mention how Muse didn't say anything when editing/describing the video, but didn't want to show too much bias.  I would have thought Matt Bellamy would say something, since their songs could be seen as political and he must have an opinion on the whole thing - but as someone mentioned in another thread, he seems to be a believer in micro states and would probably have voted Leave, so rather than alienate almost everyone in the audience, he probably decided against it.  I haven't watched their set at Glastonbury yet but I believe he remained quite mute in general?

Ooo this thread has got a bit nasty and that makes me sad

For the record I can;t vote so my views don't count in any poll. Its made me sad though that from an outsider a vote took place that was close, but 'some' voters who lost have taken to being down right nasty to those that voted the opposite way to how they did. Of course there is the initial diappointment, but a vote is a vote and just that --- the stay voters were  the minority for whatever reason, thats a fact, but I am sure that the leave voters are not all racists or other horrible words they have been described as

Lots of the artists were speaking about loving each other, lookig after each other and being tolerant of each other which counts whichever way you voted, and would have been spoken about Brexit or no Brexit .... this is how we should all live

My elderley Mum can vote and did vote and she voted out (her views do not match with mine), she is not racist, she is not stupid, she had her reasons and she listened to all the propoganda beforehand, read the leaflets and made her own mind up (and she read a lot of stuff and was so into it all for weeks/months beforehand) .... she still says she is doing it not for her generation but for what she feels is best going forward (in my mind she is misguided) but this week she phoned me in tears as she has been called old, thick and racist and as she says she is one of them but thats all ...... I am darn sure that is the vote had swung the other way there would not be the same nastiness going around

All of the above is in my very limited/closeted view of the world

38 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Since when has the festival been open and accepting of all opinions? 

Anyway, your post has been heartwarming to read. I'm glad you got told to fuck off, you nasty, selfish, small-minded, thick, racist c**t.

In that is the case the festival has gone down in my estimation.  I wonder if the organisers share your view of this?

As for the rest of your post.  Rude, offensive and uncalled for.  Take a look at yourself.

Just now, Teddington said:

In that is the case the festival has gone down in my estimation.  I wonder if the organisers share your view of this?

As for the rest of your post.  Rude, offensive and uncalled for.  Take a look at yourself.

I doubt they'd care much what a nasty little tory boy like you thinks. And neither do I.

The sooner your sort are driven out the festival the better.

40 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Since when has the festival been open and accepting of all opinions? 

Anyway, your post has been heartwarming to read. I'm glad you got told to fuck off, you nasty, selfish, small-minded, thick, racist c**t.

A) I don't believe I stated which way, if at all, that I voted.

B) you're a clown.

Just now, russycarps said:

I doubt they'd care much what a nasty little tory boy like you thinks. And neither do I.

Really?  I am willing to bet that their view of Glastonbury is much closer to mine than yours!

I won't resort to insults.

15 hours ago, Sidasta said:

I woke up to someone in our camp yelling something along the lines of "FUCK."

Same here, and slowly I watched weary heads appear, calling over to strangers "Are we out? For fuck sake!!" 

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Like Tony Benn who was anti EU yet part of the furniture of Glastonbury?

10 minutes ago, Sidasta said:

I wonder if the same (or similar) backlash would have happened if Remain got the majority.

Not in the same way but there are three crucial factors:

1) a Leave loss is "ah damn, we will have to wait at least five years before we can try again"' whereas a Leave win is close to permanent. We never get to rejoin on the same terms.

2) no-ones life changes for the worse if we stay. Yes, arguably certain people lose out on the chance for their life to get better, but their were folks I was camped with who knew full well that a Leave vote would put their job in jeopardy. Change is always scarier than a vote to maintain the status-quo.

3) the Leave campaign was based on lies and that's been pretty much admitted now. Immigration won't change and the NHS won't get £350 million a week. It just felt so unfair that such blatant lies were not electoral fraud. It felt like a con job, that a big portion of the country had "fell for it" and now we all had to live with their mistake. And the number of people immediately admitting they made a mistake voting Leave was astounding, and frustrating.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Not in the same way but there are three crucial factors:

1) a Leave loss is "ah damn, we will have to wait at least five years before we can try again"' whereas a Leave win is close to permanent. We never get to rejoin on the same terms.

2) no-ones life changes for the worse if we stay. Yes, arguably certain people lose out on the chance for their life to get better, but their were folks I was camped with who knew full well that a Leave vote would put their job in jeopardy. Change is always scarier than a vote to maintain the status-quo.

3) the Leave campaign was based on lies and that's been pretty much admitted now. Immigration won't change and the NHS won't get £350 million a week. It just felt so unfair that such blatant lies were not electoral fraud. It felt like a con job, that a big portion of the country had "fell for it" and now we all had to live with their mistake. And the number of people immediately admitting they made a mistake voting Leave was astounding, and frustrating.

On point 3, I think this is the very basis for a second referendum. People were not made aware of truthful facts and were duped. Not a fan whatsoever of having a second go, but in this instance and knowing what we know now, the original result should be declared null and void. It was, as you say, fraud and shouldn't be allowed to be the final say on the issue.

Just now, stonedhenge said:

why do people in the 'minority' think they can stand on a stage and talk down to those of us in the 'majority' we have voted for our freedom and got it.

Yes, let's stop all political discourse. Good plan, 100% in agreement - definition of 'freedom' in my book.