The Comedy / Cabaret / Theatre / Circus recommendations thread

DeanoL

Okay starting with comedy as comedy is my 'thing' then a few suggestions elsewhere that hopefully others can contribute to. I'm not bothering with the 'obvious' comedy recommendations - Infinite Monkey Cage, Kevin Eldon, Marcus Brigstocke, etc. that you've heard before.

Cabaret tent:

Friday:
13:35-14:05 - Jess Robinson and Kirsty Newton - Jess basically does vocal impressions of singers but it absolutely phenomenal at it - hilarious but also one of those acts that leave you impressed by the sheer level of skill.
14:10-14:30 - DJ Ivan Brackenbury - Hospital radio DJ comedy character but not what you'd expect - the set is basically brilliant one-liners where every punchline is a bit of a song.
17:45-16:15 - Alistair Barrie - good, smart, often political stand-up.
20:20-20:50 - Josie Long - feel good, nice comedy with occasional politically tinged anger these days.
23:35-00:05 - Joe Lycett - charming young guy, much material with the feel of the old Timewaster Letters.
00:55-01:25 - Nick Doody - one of the smartest acts around, generally brings some good old-fashioned moaning-about-the-state-of-things. Though if he just turns up and does the same club set he's been leaning on for about three years now it'll be a shame.
01:30-02:00 - Phil Nichol - Phil Kay isn't on this year so this'll be the weirdest stand-up you'll see at the festival. Gay Eskimo.

Saturday:
12:05-13:05 - #JC4PM - comedy, music and poetry from Francesca Martinez, Grace Petrie, Claire Ferguson-Walker, Steve Gribbin, Atilla The Stockbroker. Wouldn't be that surprised to see the man himself stick his head in.
15:25-15:55 - Matt Kirshen - UK act that moved to live and work in the US so rarely get to see him any more.
17:50-18:20 - Phil Nichol - as above but he probably won't be as drunk yet.
18:25-18:55 - Jess Robinson and Kirsty Newton - as above, though if you go on Friday don't be surprised to see yourself wanting to go back to see what else comes up on the wheel...
00:20-02:00 - Tom Stade, Kai Humphries and Andrew Maxwell - putting all these together as they're quite similar. All likely to be as drunk as you are, all globally touring acts that lean heavily on hilarious road stories.

Sunday
11:00-12:00 - Marcus Brigstoke's Policy Unit - a panel of comics debate possible policies, mostly funny ones. Line up is Josie Long, Alistair Barrie and Nick Doody.
12:55-13:15 - Ivan Brackenbury - see above.
13:20-13:50 - Nick Doody - see above.
14:45-15:15 - Josie Long - see above.
17:20-17:50 - Steve Gribbin - angry musical political comedy
17:50-18:25 - Alistair Barrie - see above.
18:30-19:00 - George Egg, Anarchist Cook. George cooks a meal live on stage using implements found in hotel rooms. No really. And it's brilliant.
21:35-22:05 - Grace Petrie - Leftie folk singer-songwriter. Not a comedian at all but often quite funny, and one of my favourite performers in the world.
22:55-23:25 - Matt Kirshen - see above.
23:30-00:00 - Craig Campbell - closing out the festival, he used to compere the tent in the late slot every year and mastered the art of getting a knackered audience full of substances on side. Wonderful bloke, hilarious comic. If you get a chance, ask him where's he been.

Comedy elsewhere:
Jeremy Hardy and Francesca Martinez play the Leftfield Friday and Saturday afternoon respectively.
Avalon, Sunday 14:00-14:55 - Mitch Benn - far funnier live than he is on the Now Show.
Mavericks, Friday 23:00-23:55 - Set List, with Marcus Brigstocke, Matt Kirshen, Micky Bartlett, Nick Doody, Josie Long. Most exciting comedy thing on site for me - the acts are given a 'set list' as they walk on stage, which is supposedly their list of thing to joke about. They then have to improv a stand-up routine around those topics.
Also plenty of comics on at Mavericks throughout the night, but they're ten minute spots and the timing on Mavericks is quite loose - just going along and watching six random things in an hour is kinda the point.
Wednesday night 21:00-03:00 at the Greenpeace engine room also has Greenpeace Cabaret which will include comedy, circus and music.
Astrolabe 15:30-16:30 Friday and Saturday - Stephen Frost Improv All-Stars - trad improv games with Phil Jupitus (probably) and others.

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Cabaret tent:

Friday:
13:35-14:05 - Jess Robinson and Kirsty Newton - Jess basically does vocal impressions of singers but it absolutely phenomenal at it - hilarious but also one of those acts that leave you impressed by the sheer level of skill.

Great stuff - thanks.

Can I add to the praise for the wonderful Jess Robinson. Only caught her last year 'cos it was raining - she got a deserved standing ovation.

Edited by Fishman
You also mention her for Saturday!

Other stuff:

Astrolabe: Marcus de Sautoy - a maths professor that talks about maths for an hour and makes it interesting and funny. 14:30 every day.

Circus: Pirates of the Carabina headline with their full show around 18:15 every night. There are some brilliant acts on the circus tent all day, but they're primarily street performers and small touring acts doing shorter bits. The circus headliners are always a big deal in the circus world, and these is no different, so are often a cut above in terms of polish and skill.

Tor View Lookout - 00:15 Thursday, Friday and Saturday night - there's "a sound and light spectacular like nothing we’ve done before, featuring 21st century technology, daring aerial acrobatics and good old fashion vaudevillian delivery."

Sensation Seekers - Abandoman play this at 14:00 every day, improvised hip-hop comedy. Great fun. Also Bread and Roses 5pm Friday and Saturday.

The funniest thing I saw at the Fringe last year was Spencer Jones doing his character The Herbert, and he seems to be cropping up in 10 minute chunks at various points across the weekend.  

It's a sort of hybrid between Tommy Cooper-esque prop comedy and Mr Bean, but that doesn't really do it justice, and it's a show that's pretty much catapulted him to the top of any list of potential future major comic talent.

But on the other hand you couldn't pay me to go see Jess Robinson,  so swings and roundabouts.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The funniest thing I saw at the Fringe last year was Spencer Jones doing his character The Herbert, and he seems to be cropping up in 10 minute chunks at various points across the weekend.  

It's a sort of hybrid between Tommy Cooper-esque prop comedy and Mr Bean, but that doesn't really do it justice, and it's a show that's pretty much catapulted him to the top of any list of potential future major comic talent.

But on the other hand you couldn't pay me to go see Jess Robinson,  so swings and roundabouts.

I'd been hoping to see him ever since he was on comcompod. Glad I'm going to get the chance

Please PLEASE go and see Spencer Jones Presents The Herbert

The funniest thing I saw at the Edinburgh Fringe last year. 

Also, not for those easily offended, but Frank Sanazi is damn funny! A guy dressed as Hitler singing Frank Sinatra comedy versions

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

ha, beat me to it!

He's bloody brilliant

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

Nick Doody is very hit and miss, I've seen him raise his game and be superb, I've seen him wander on at Glastonbury half cut and be very lazy. When he's on form though, he's great

I saw Doody support Dave Gorman earlier this year.  He was superb

2 hours ago, funkyuk said:

Where's Otway?  Or will he be a surprise act on the Pyramid?

I saw him at a local venue earlier this year and he said he'd be at Glastonbury! I am disappointed not to see him on the line up! 

Edit: he says on Twitter he's not there. Boo. 

Edited by lucyginger

8 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I caught him completely randomly at Latitude last year. Best thing I saw all weekend (Portishead aside).

5 hours ago, KernowKrusty said:

Did you witness the 'human fly trap'. Hilarious.

We blocked gates, raided an ice cream van for the crippled boy who was sitting in the theatre tent, 'borrowed' mobile phones, sang songs and shouted very rude words to random people!! 

And I did this while sober!!

39 minutes ago, Jennings74 said:

We blocked gates, raided an ice cream van for the crippled boy who was sitting in the theatre tent, 'borrowed' mobile phones, sang songs and shouted very rude words to random people!! 

And I did this while sober!!

All very normal at Jonathans 'workshop'.