Efest member stats

morph100

Is like to add my thoughts to this thread regarding the forum, and appropriateness or otherwise of a lot of the crap posted on it. The forum is supposed to be about Glastonbury... And it's probably safe to assume that anyone here is either been to, going to, or wanting to go to the festival. I've only been once, but a very large part of the festival is the people who attend. By association that may also be true of this forum. It may be difficult for newbies to feel they belong... But the festival itself is like that. My recommendation... For what it's worth... Would be to change nothing. Let folk bimble  about. Who cares if someone posts what they are having for dinner, or if they are feeling a bit crap, or if the want Thom Yorke's love child.If there is an ounce of Glastonbury in their soul they'll either get it, or move on to the next thread. 

Edited by Tranquility of Solitude

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A positive of the upvotes is that they allow you to express agreement/appreciation without filling the thread with "thanks" or "agreed" or "true" or whatever. Not that I recall that being a problem before their introduction. Must confess I kinda like getting upvotes, but they obviously don't mean anything at all and I certainly don't think it's influenced what I do or don't post. I can't really believe that anyone is "thinking about the commercial viability of their post to receive a few up-votes".

8 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

i agree on the up/downvotes thing.  i don't care for them at all, i'd rather they didn't exist, and it's somewhat embarassing to me that i have so many when i rarely post anything particularly interesting.  it seems making quick one liners at the expense of pop stars is well 'rewarded' here.

I think many people take their own faaaar too seriously - while probably thinking in a different way when dishing them out to others.

9 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

i agree on the up/downvotes thing.  i don't care for them at all, i'd rather they didn't exist, and it's somewhat embarassing to me that i have so many when i rarely post anything particularly interesting.  it seems making quick one liners at the expense of pop stars is well 'rewarded' here.

I suggested removing the down vote shortly after joining I think... Which ironically enough was promptly voted down ... As in all likelihood will this be! 

I honestly thought the up/down thing had always been there.  I've seen various forums remove rep systems in the past for perceived encouragement of crap behaviour and discouraging new folk so it is definitely a recurring theme in online communities.

As for moderation I'm all for the softer hand and letting topics live and die on their own merits.  

On 20 April 2016 at 9:00 PM, morph100 said:

Just wondered what the stats were for efest members or people in this bit of the forums over the last month or so compared with other years?

seems to be more than the usual spike in activity and more people involved in things like the not so secret resale. Thought it might give us an indication of the rising popularity of the festival.

Neil or Scotty has it been a particularly busy period?

Throwing a couple of cents into the ring about new posters, I've seen a few posts in this thread about lurking and new posting.  It's amazing how whilst some might claim they find posting "intimidating", plenty are quite willing to register for a new account and DM me before they've made their first post if they want something ;) (loosely pointing to secret resales).  It's more than a couple a day.  It seems the forums are a useful repository of information for all.

Like others I detest any kind of cliqueyness, and i've seen too much of it over the years, or the thought that as a forum we only look after our own, but at the same time it somehow feels wrong to reward people who don't contribute.  I've no idea what the best thing for the site and the community is on this.  It's a pretty tricky issue.  I don't know whether to give them what they want, or gently suggest that they may opt to engage the community first.

I think the new "introduce yourself" thread is a great idea, bravo Neil.  I hope its successful.

Well most forums have an off-topic board, so does this one.

The weird part is that the Glastonbury forum is kinda of a sub-community of the Efests forum as a whole. I can't be the only one that pretty much only reads this forum and the front page. It'd probably make practical sense to have an off-topic sub-forum in the Glastonbury bit. But from a wider point of view of the forums as a whole, it's a bit weird.

I'm trying to remember what I thought it was like when I first really started posting in here, but I do seem to recall that there seemed to be a lot of people who 'knew' each other. There did seem to a tight little group of members in here, and commenting on their conversations seemed a bit like imposing. So I suppose I did feel a little intimidated. But to balance that there were posts that didn't come from that group, so it wasn't exactly a closed conversation and you could easily pick up on one of those. And of course there were threads which weren't dominated by the chit-chat of the long standing members.

It's a delicate balance but on the whole there are plenty of opportunities for newbies to jump in, just as I (and many others) have.

On 4/22/2016 at 2:52 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

D'ya know what - and many may not believe this - but it took me ages to muster the courage to post something. And after my first few posts had seemed to be ignored i stopped - and this was 2009 i think. Looking back i know that was me and not the fault of anyone on here and i took to heart something that really shouldn't have been cos basically nothing I'd written needed comment.

that's the point...you shouldn't be posting with an expectation in mind that 1) you need someone to acknowledge/respond to you...just have your say, 2) that you need to post something that is going to attract an up vote!

On 4/22/2016 at 2:38 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

One of the best posts ever written since I started looking at efestivals. 

(and no I'm not saying that to get you to upvote me) 

very nice of you to say, although I've read thousands more better posts than my ramblings...but secondly one of the whole points about what i wrote is that i would never 'upvote' you for liking what i wrote, or should anyone else...that defeats the whole point of aligning a deserved 'upvote' with 'quality'....write something brilliant about the festival, inspire me about an artist on the lineup, introduce me to some of the Stones best bits of catalogue that I wasn't knowledgeable about (like the CalGons and a few others were doing pre-2013) and that's what would be worthy of an upvote, not someone saying they like what i wrote. bollocks to that!