The Avalanches

defrio29

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

are they only doing DJ sets then?

When I saw them 15 years ago, there was a 'band' of drums bassist & keys with 2 guys on decks too (who perhaps did other things too, I forget).

While much of it was coming from the DJs, the 'band' were a necessary part of it.

I've got no idea really. Hope it's a live set. Might theoretically fit better on West Holts if thats the case. 

Still I doubt they're gonna be there anyway. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I saw them at V fest in (I think 2001) .... it was jaw-dropping stuff, truly fantastic, one of the best things I've ever seen.

However .... I know from reading wiki now and then that there's only one or two of the same people involved as back then, so they might not have the same very-high talent in the band members as they had back then (enough for them to all swap instruments to do a song or two). I know they don't have DJ Dexter involved now, for example.

I should have seen them twice as they played Creamfields the week after V and I went to see them - but during the week they'd pushed one of them off-stage during the set and he'd broken his arm or leg or something, and so we only got a DJ set ... which itself was as stunning as it gets (Too Many DJs had nothing on these guys!), but wasn't the same as the live act.

They're not the same people, but if it gets close to what I saw it'll be superb.

If my memory serves me correctly they were on in the "JJB Arena" before a certain Miss Kylie Minogue (how's that for an eclectic line-up?)

In Staffs I seem to remember that they stripped at the end of the set (could be making that bit up) 

2 minutes ago, budvar said:

If my memory serves me correctly they were on in the "JJB Arena" before a certain Miss Kylie Minogue (how's that for an eclectic line-up?)

In Staffs I seem to remember that they stripped at the end of the set (could be making that bit up) 

Yep, spot on.

I saw them (Kylie too) at Chelmsford, and exchanged a few words with a couple of Avalanches (no idea which ones) who'd come out into the crowd to watch Kylie - they said because they were supporting another Aussie and not because they liked her (yeah yeah :P)

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

are they only doing DJ sets then?

When I saw them 15 years ago, there was a 'band' of drums bassist & keys with 2 guys on decks too (who perhaps did other things too, I forget).

While much of it was coming from the DJs, the 'band' were a necessary part of it.

I always assumed they were a live DJ act until today. I did some digging around after the announcement and quite liked some old live vids I found of a lineup just like you described.

Someone did this tribute in 2014 - it would be amazing if the real Avalanches had such a large ensemble for their sets this year........especially if they were at Glastonbury

12 hours ago, incident said:

Bollocks.. From 2015 alone:

Libertines as an unnanounced sub?

Kanye West?

Mothership Returns?

Some or all of them may not be to your taste.. But trying to be as neutral as I can about it, I'd say all of the above have a far better claim to being "wow" acts than Radiohead 11 especially as Thom and Johnny are at the Festival in some form nearly every year and had played the exact same slot the year before.

Kanye has been touring for years and years and has played festivals all over Europe and, of course, the UK,  before he played Glastonbury. I mean, come on, he played Wireless the year before ffs! I like Kanye a lot, but he was in no way whatsoever a 'OMG how is this happening act'... More like Glastonbury got onto it a bit later than everyone else. 

Libertines were touring anyway, and played Reading the same year. George Clinton tours every year. No biggie. 

3 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

Kanye has been touring for years and years and has played festivals all over Europe and, of course, the UK,  before he played Glastonbury. I mean, come on, he played Wireless the year before ffs! I like Kanye a lot, but he was in no way whatsoever a 'OMG how is this happening act'... More like Glastonbury got onto it a bit later than everyone else. 

Libertines were touring anyway, and played Reading the same year. George Clinton tours every year. No biggie. 

Mothership Returns was much more than just a regular George Clinton show, it was a collaboration that as far as I'm aware only Glastonbury had at least recently. If that doesn't count as a "wow" booking then I can't think of anything at any UK Festival in the past 15 years that would.

Especially not Radiohead on The Park, which were the act you namechecked - let's face it, at this stage they've probably played every major Festival in Europe. As excited as some people on here get about them, ultimately they're a fairly standard Festival booking that in 2011 had been on the scene for 20 years and played UK shows and/or Festivals in most of them. And if Libertines playing a last minute secret show lower on the bill than expected doesn't count then you're definitely not having Radiohead on that basis especially considering that the important half of the band did the exact same thing (except better) the year before.

This thread had just about convinced me to buy a Field Day ticket. Off I went to their website only to find out it's the same weekend as Nos Primavera. A bit gutted Avalanches have been announced for the Barcelona festival and not the Porto one, but obviously still glad to be trying a new festival. Really hoping they will show up at Glastonbury, anyone know how likely this actually is?

Just now, sophlamb said:

This thread had just about convinced me to buy a Field Day ticket. Off I went to their website only to find out it's the same weekend as Nos Primavera. A bit gutted Avalanches have been announced for the Barcelona festival and not the Porto one, but obviously still glad to be trying a new festival. Really hoping they will show up at Glastonbury, anyone know how likely this actually is?

Really no way to tell. I mean, they're free that weekend, but with so few tour dates announced they could have more left to announce or they could easily decide to just stick to only a few. Definitely hoping they play though. That'd make an already incredible lineup even better

2 minutes ago, Roger1 said:

The 1st uk festival bit does fill me with hope. Unrelated but does anyone think air will be making an appearance somewhere this year?

was hoping Air would be there, and i guess it's not impossible that they could be added to the bill, but i think chances are slim as i'd have thought they'd be on the initial poster

2 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

There's so many more layers to it! 

It's rare that I adore something on first listen but it really hit the spot. Can't wait to get familiar with all it's intricacies after a few more listens. 

In a slight state of shock I had never listened before, and even more shocked at the fact they're in the UK so close to glasto... I need a cold shower 

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep 'first' rather than 'only' definitely suggests that there could be more to come. God I hope so

That was my first thought but I didn't want to read too much in to it. Does seem positive though.

As others have said the good thing is they wouldn't have to headline anywhere and are better suited for a late afternoon/early evening slot which makes them more likely to be a late addition. 

On 12 April 2016 at 11:49 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

If it happens, I'm there. Absolutely must see. Were they any good live though?

Saw them live at V Festival before Kylie. I thought they were great, just the right side of out of control. Mrs Cull was less impressed

Edited by DJ Cull

• 2 weeks later...