Ticket balance deadline announced

dexydexy

55 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Ticket costs really are eye wateringly high aren't they.

A discount scheme for the unemployed/minimum wage earner/students is long overdue.

Something like a tiered pricing scheme would work. The wealthier you are, the more your ticket price subsidises someone less privileged.

How do you establish at ticket time that someone is unemployed or minimum waged?

Maybe better is the scheme operated by Wychwood. which I bought into a couple of years ago. They call it Ticket for Life and the deal is that the ticket price for all future years is pegged at the price at the time that you buy in.  In return you agree to pay for your ticket by monthly standing order.  So a bit goes out of your account each month but you have a guaranteed ticket at a fixed price that stays fixed.  It also gives the organisers an income stream over the year running up to the festival.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread almost gave me heart failure!  I've changed jobs and had a load of home stuff going on recently and for a nano-second I thought I had forgotten to pay. We are 2 adults and 4 kids, I would have been torn limb from limb if I had failed on that.  I have now plastered calendars, etc., with PAY GLASTONBURY BALANCE on every device and surface I can find.

Thanks for the reminder, if not for the medical emergency :)

57 minutes ago, justperfect said:

I would like something like what Kendall calling offer where you can pay a bit off your tickets on a monthly basis. Paying for 2 within a window of a week is a bit of a struggle but obviously we manage

Open a Glastonbury bank account, no debit card or cheque book. Set up a monthly or weekly standing order or just put money into it when you can afford to and the ticket deadline becomes much easier to deal with.

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Ticket costs really are eye wateringly high aren't they.

A discount scheme for the unemployed/minimum wage earner/students is long overdue.

Something like a tiered pricing scheme would work. The wealthier you are, the more your ticket price subsidises someone less privileged.

I understand the idea of people earning more paying more, I'm not actually against that in some respect - but the costs are not that high. £243 with a bit of financial planning is a piece of piss to save for even on minimum wage! 

It's easy to say it's good value if you are wealthy and can comfortably afford it. But if you arent wealthy it's not good value at all, because you cant afford to go.

The festival used to be open to all. Now it is only open to wealthy people who can afford it. I cannot fathom why anyone would complain about a scheme that opens up the festival to a wider range of people.

Unless they were incredibly selfish and entitled, of course.

47 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

How do you establish at ticket time that someone is unemployed or minimum waged?

Maybe better is the scheme operated by Wychwood. which I bought into a couple of years ago. They call it Ticket for Life and the deal is that the ticket price for all future years is pegged at the price at the time that you buy in.  In return you agree to pay for your ticket by monthly standing order.  So a bit goes out of your account each month but you have a guaranteed ticket at a fixed price that stays fixed.  It also gives the organisers an income stream over the year running up to the festival.

Does Wychwood sell out every year Grumpy? The tickets must be transferable? I kind of like the idea but surely if anything like this was done at glasto there would never be any newcomers to the festival because all of the tickets are already reserved if that makes sense.

51 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

I havent been unemployed for a long time, but I'm sure there is still many bits of paperwork that confirms people are unemployed. Equally people can produce payslips that confirm their earnings. Students are similarly easy to prove.

The festival has an entire year to process the applications.

Edited by russycarps

Just now, russycarps said:

It's easy to say it's good value if you are wealthy and can comfortably afford it. But if you arent wealthy it's not good value at all, because you cant afford to go.

The festival used to be open to all. Now it is only open to wealthy people who can afford it. I cannot fathom why anyone would complain about a scheme that opens up the festival to a wider range of people.

Unless they were incredibly selfish and entitled, of course.

My question is how out of reach is it for somebody on minimum wage? There's a load of unknowns like children, mortgages, rent etc etc...but if people really wanted to go it's a question of putting away £5 per week? 

Then there's the question of how far you go? Free for the unemployed? Make the rich pay for everything? 

5 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I understand the idea of people earning more paying more, I'm not actually against that in some respect - but the costs are not that high. £243 with a bit of financial planning is a piece of piss to save for even on minimum wage! 

It's not just £243 though. You need to add food/drink/travel/drugs on top.

Just now, Thunderstruck said:

My question is how out of reach is it for somebody on minimum wage? There's a load of unknowns like children, mortgages, rent etc etc...but if people really wanted to go it's a question of putting away £5 per week? 

Then there's the question of how far you go? Free for the unemployed? Make the rich pay for everything? 

Not free, but discounted. And yes, entirely funded by those who can afford to pay for it so the charitable donation is unaffected.

Just now, Thunderstruck said:

free food and drug tokens for the poor?

I havent mentioned the word free anywhere.

I suggested discounted tickets for the poor, so they can have a festival experience that equals the rich people's experience. I.e. an experience where they can afford food/drink/travel/drugs. 

Why should they have an inferior experience, just because they werent fortunate enough to be born into privilege?

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I havent mentioned the word free anywhere.

I suggested discounted tickets for the poor, so they can have a festival experience that equals the rich people's experience. I.e. an experience where they can afford food/drink/travel/drugs. 

Why should they have an inferior experience, just because they werent fortunate enough to be born into privilege?

would it be an inferior experience though? Or just different? People with less money have to be more careful about spending, and it's unfortunate but I don't see why people with more money should be paying to make sure they have the same experience? I actually would be for the idea of paying more for my ticket to make it cheaper for some - but when you start factoring in food, drink and drugs it gets a little bit too much.

Some people aren't born into privilege though Russy, some people have had to work bloody hard to get to the stage where they can afford to go to festivals. Just because somebody has a bit of disposable income doesn't mean they were born with a silver spoon in their mouths.

Your idea of subsidising tickets for poorer festival goers, however morally sound it is would be unrealistic. As has previously been said, how on earth could you police something like that?

35 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Open a Glastonbury bank account, no debit card or cheque book. Set up a monthly or weekly standing order or just put money into it when you can afford to and the ticket deadline becomes much easier to deal with.

Exactly. Why do we need Glasto or anyone else to do this for us?! Grow a fucking pair people. Do it yourself. 

Also regarding the unemployed/low earners etc. Not a hope I'd pay for them to go. They should've tried harder in Uni. 

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Exactly. Why do we need Glasto or anyone else to do this for us?! Grow a fucking pair people. Do it yourself. 

Also regarding the unemployed/low earners etc. Not a hope I'd pay for them to go. They should've tried harder in Uni. 

:lol:genius!

It's not just festivals though, live music in general is ridiculously expensive. We're starting to touch the £100 a ticket mark for certain gigs (GnR for example) and you're not seeing much change from 80 quid for any arena sized act. Put that into context and the £240 for Glastonbury suddenly represents fantastic value for money.

As for the unemployed and those on minimum wage, most of them have bigger concerns than whether they can attend a music festival.

festivals aren't by any definition of the word a 'right', but poor people like fun too.

any subsidy for low-earners would surely have to be means tested, and that is just worrying oversight. very dodgy. i earn a pittance and can only afford to go every 3 years but i wouldn't want to have to prove that to fest management to get a cheaper ticket. and good faith 'i earn less than £15k a year, honestly' systems like the MIF utilise are open to abuse.

the simplest way to make the pricing fairer for working people is to let folk pay their tickets off as and when, between T-day and traditional balance day. bung a fiver a week into it from april and the lion's share of it is sorted by then. i call it the 'How My Mum Used To Pay For Christmas' system..

19 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I havent been unemployed for a long time, but I'm sure there is still many bits of paperwork that confirms people are unemployed. Equally people can produce payslips that confirm their earnings. Students are similarly easy to prove.

The festival has an entire year to process the applications.

It's not really an option now if you're unemployed. When I started going I was on the dole and fortunately it fell on a week I didn't have to sign on, so they were completely unawares! Plus I think you were entitled to one holiday a year so even if it did fall on signing on day, you could book it off. 

Nowadays it's much tougher- you get sanctioned at the drop of a hat, you have to sign on to their crap computer system and search for jobs every day or you get sanctioned, and it records which jobs you've applied for. And then they randomly phone you up and make you go in for no reason. 

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's not just festivals though, live music in general is ridiculously expensive. We're starting to touch the £100 a ticket mark for certain gigs (GnR for example) and you're not seeing much change from 80 quid for any arena sized act. Put that into context and the £240 for Glastonbury suddenly represents fantastic value for money.

As for the unemployed and those on minimum wage, most of them have bigger concerns than whether they can attend a music festival.

It's not about whether it's value for money for me, but it is very expensive - factoring in travel, food etc, and for that you could afford to go on a nice travelling trip somewhere abroad for a week.

I know everyone says glastonbury is the best place on earth, but to be honest I'm not sure that's true- it's a big world and there are a lot of great places you can go to. If I could only afford one, I'd have to think about it. 

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

That wouldn't work for Glastonbury though, as the demand would be well over capacity, and would mean the same people attending each year with no option for others to experience the festival. And if you offered say 20,000 tickets for life, what qualifies one person to have one over another? Would be totally unfair.