Zoo Music Girl

New Order

48 minutes ago, eastynh said:

You mean before he absolutely ruined Blue Monday?

That Hac Classical version  is abysmal.

I went to see Stephen Morris and Mike Joyce talking about their drumming on their bands respective records the other night. They had a kit set up and demonstrated. Was an enjoyable evening. Got videos of Joyce doing Queen Is Dead and Morris doing LWTUA. Will up them later.

Did Morris apologize for not being a sufficiently tight drummer for his band's style of music?

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Did Morris apologize for not being a sufficiently tight drummer for his band's style of music?

Strange as You're the only person who I have heard suggest anything like this.

The consensus from the evening is that he is absolutely perfect for the bands he plays in and would maybe not fit in with another band. When he did LWTUA, Mike Joyce and Mark Radcliffe were recording it. 

Then there is this tweet by Donald Johnson who is widely regarded as one of the greatest drummers and probably the best Mancunian drummer 

https://twitter.com/Dojo007/status/911093553207549952

Now I am no expert on drums. In regards to New Order, a lot of the drums are programned by Morris on the records rather than played live. Yet you are the only person I have ever heard with anything negative to say regarding his drumming. He is universally lauded by everyone else.

On 23/09/2017 at 6:18 PM, eastynh said:

I am just glad it is all over and the best part to New Orders statement was the fact they are looking forward to making new music.

Hooky has been very conspicuous by his absence. After New Order released the statement he was apparently unavailable for comment. Considering he did not shut up about the case for years, it makes me wonder whether he got the result he wanted.

In regards to the books. Bernards is ridiculously dull where as all Hookys are really funny and exciting in a way. The problem with them though is that they could be about as true as 24 Hour Party People. Also the lack of respect he shows Gillian in the New Order book is disgusting.

Hooky needs to make new music instead of milking the legacy of his 2 former bands for all its worth.

Have now read the book:

"Gillian was a good choice as she wouldn't try and impose her ideas."

"Gillian was shit because she never contributed any ideas."

Good read though.

56 minutes ago, Homer said:

Have now read the book:

"Gillian was a good choice as she wouldn't try and impose her ideas."

"Gillian was shit because she never contributed any ideas."

Good read though.

He contradicts himself something rotten. 

I asked him on twitter recently why does he play the Substances in chronological order. Considering he thinks he is a dj, should he not think more about how he paces and sets out the night? There is no way on earth some of them NO tunes should be played at the start of his set (remember there is no warm up act). They don't get the receprtion they deserve and then it goes a bit flat when he starts playing JD b sides. I mentioned that the gig at Manchest Apollo took ages to warm up and then died away in the middle before picking up at the end. He totally disagreed with me and said it was bouncing from start to end. Yet the lemon totally contradicted himself in the blog he writes as he wrote that, it was a little flat and took a while to get going. 

The books are a real fun read. The technical parts he adds in the NO book are an absolute delight and really interesting. Yet I think you have to take what he says with a pinch of salt. There is a part in the NO book where he talks about how he got into djing which I know not to be true. Whether he has genuinely forgot about how his djing career came about I can not say. Yet I know for a fact what he says in the book is not true. Because of that I am a little hesitant to take everything else in the book as being gospel. For the most part though it is a real fascinating and interesting read (apart from the Gillian parts which I found utterly disgusting).

I can't make my mind up with Hooky. On one hand you think fair play to him as he seems a normal stand up fella who replies to everyone on Twitter and I bet would be good fun on a night out. Then there is the other side of him, where he cones across as a bit of a money grabber and full of shit. I suppose we have to take the rough with the smooth.

Edited by eastynh
  • Upvote 1