2017 festival

kaosmark2

20 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Not seen this posted here yet, but it does suggest no Royal Blood, Liam Gallagher or Justice. Obviously it is possible still (Circa Waves is doing it) It's just not likely as getting back from Japan in one week is a bit of a trek.

You're way off here. Charli XCX is at R&L as well as Circa Waves, and Declan McKenna is very likely to be announced next time around too.

In other news, I've just seen on Facebook that Kasabian are playing in Australia next week, pretty far away that innit? Will they make it back in time for Reading and Leeds do we reckon?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Odessa said:

You're way off here. Charli XCX is at R&L as well as Circa Waves, and Declan McKenna is very likely to be announced next time around too.

In other news, I've just seen on Facebook that Kasabian are playing in Australia next week, pretty far away that innit? Will they make it back in time for Reading and Leeds do we reckon?

Hadn't even seen Charli XCX on the poster lol

And now you're just being an arse you knew what I meant. The cost of shipping all your equipment over from Japan must be really expensive compared to just staying in Japan and doing another show. If R+L was a massive gig (like Glasto/Coachella/Tomorrowland etc.) then maybe, but it ain't that big and I doubt FR are willing to chuck an obscene amount of money at a large amount of acts to get them to come back to Europe.

Yeah I think that Royal Blood and Liam Gallagher are both possible. The 1975, Two Door Cinema Club, Slaves, Blossoms, Nothing But Thieves and Ray Boy all did R&L and Summer Sonic last year so I don't see that as an issue, the real problem is the lack of room potentially left on the lineup. I guess Saturday could be missing a 3rd down and obviously Muse are needing a sub. I'm feel like I'm posting an updated prediction every day and I guess I'm setting myself up for disappointment but I do think there's still some potential. Posting in the wrong thread but it's a small prediction and relevant to the discussion so let me off :D

Kasabian, Bastille, Two Door Cinema Club, The Kooks, Circa Waves
You Me At Six, Jimmy Eat World

Eminem, Major Lazer, Liam Gallagher, Migos, Everything Everything
Flume (Closing Set), Korn

Muse, Royal Blood, Enter Shikari, Blossoms, Giggs
HAIM, Halsey

Edited by JSmurphy

4 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Hadn't even seen Charli XCX on the poster lol

And now you're just being an arse you knew what I meant. The cost of shipping all your equipment over from Japan must be really expensive compared to just staying in Japan and doing another show. If R+L was a massive gig (like Glasto/Coachella/Tomorrowland etc.) then maybe, but it ain't that big and I doubt FR are willing to chuck an obscene amount of money at a large amount of acts to get them to come back to Europe.

But they're gonna come back to Europe anyway, the members of these bands live here? If they wanted to play more shows over there there's nothing stopping them doing that and still playing R&L too. FR don't need to persuade Circa Waves of Liverpool to return from Japan.

Bands don't even tour Asia that hard. They just do a massive fest like Summer Sonic or Fuji Rocks then go somewhere else in the world, normally.

I'm surprised you don't consider R+L a big festival. It's definitely a huge iconic festival worldwide and bands are willing to go out of their way to play it. Based on history obviously.

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, Odessa said:

But they're gonna come back to Europe anyway, the members of these bands live here? If they wanted to play more shows over there there's nothing stopping them doing that and still playing R&L too. FR don't need to persuade Circa Waves of Liverpool to return from Japan.

Well sure, they're gonna come back at some point. OFC they aren't just gonna migrate and live in Japan now because of this one festival, but there is a reason why we look at Pukkelpop and Sziget as indicators as who might be here, and why lots of artists do Creamfields and R+L in the same weekend - it's way easier to do shows that are close together. There is a reason why people ususally do European Tours, or NA Tours etc. just jumping all over the world every other week isn't economically viable.

Somone like Circa Waves aren't big enough to be that picky when it comes to festivals, I especially don't expect them to have that large of a Japanese audience, so it makes more sense than say, Royal Blood, who probably are a lot more in demand.

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Well sure, they're gonna come back at some point. OFC they aren't just gonna migrate and live in Japan now because of this one festival, but there is a reason why we look at Pukkelpop and Sziget as indicators as who might be here, and why lots of artists do Creamfields and R+L in the same weekend - it's way easier to do shows that are close together. There is a reason why people ususally do European Tours, or NA Tours etc. just jumping all over the world every other week isn't economically viable.

Somone like Circa Waves aren't big enough to be that picky when it comes to festivals, I especially don't expect them to have that large of a Japanese audience, so it makes more sense than say, Royal Blood, who probably are a lot more in demand.

Yeah but we're talking end of August. There's not a lot of festivals left at that point for them to hang about for in other parts of the world so it's no issue to come back. If Royal Blood were booked in Japan the week before R&L and say China the week after, then you'd have much better reason to rule them out.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Bands don't even tour Asia that hard. They just do a massive fest like Summer Sonic or Fuji Rocks then go somewhere else in the world, normally.

I'm surprised you don't consider R+L a big festival. It's definitely a huge iconic festival worldwide and bands are willing to go out of their way to play it. Based on history obviously.

Is it? Damn, I knew it was big in the UK, and at least imo is kinda 'everyones first rock festival'. You always hear the UK bands playing say stuff like 'Reading was my first festival I ever went to and now we're playing here ahhhhhh' so I guess as Liam Gallagher and Royal Blood are more likely to want to play as they are British.

I wouldn't have said it was as big as say Creamfields or Glasto. Glasto especially as it sells out in hours, and Cream has the advantage in that it is very specific. But I wouldn't say R+L were in the same league as Coachella, UMF, Tomorrowland, Fuji Rock, Alfa Future, Lollapalooza, FiB etc

1 minute ago, Odessa said:

Yeah but we're talking end of August. There's not a lot of festivals left at that point for them to hang about for in other parts of the world so it's no issue to come back. If Royal Blood were booked in Japan the week before R&L and say China the week after, then you'd have much better reason to rule them out.

I guess. If they were booked into China the week before I'd tend to agree with you, but it just seems weird to me to go all that way and do a one off show

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Is it? Damn, I knew it was big in the UK, and at least imo is kinda 'everyones first rock festival'. You always hear the UK bands playing say stuff like 'Reading was my first festival I ever went to and now we're playing here ahhhhhh' so I guess as Liam Gallagher and Royal Blood are more likely to want to play as they are British.

I wouldn't have said it was as big as say Creamfields or Glasto. Glasto especially as it sells out in hours, and Cream has the advantage in that it is very specific. But I wouldn't say R+L were in the same league as Coachella, UMF, Tomorrowland, Fuji Rock, Alfa Future, Lollapalooza, FiB etc

Definitely in that league mon - above some of those even. Probably only about five more famous festivals that still exist in the world - Coachella, Lollapalooza, Glasto, and maybe a couple of Fuji Rock, Tomorrowland and Ultra but maybe none of em I dunno.

5 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Reading and Leeds not as big a deal as Creamfields hahahah

When you speak to people who are into electronic music, Creamfields is one of the big ones. Stuff like the variety in their staging set ups and how impressive their production is, as well as the fact they always have a lineup that includes most of the big electronic artists (similar to UMF, EDC etc)

I don't really have any friends who are really big into Rock, but even I know that R+L especially nowadays isn't seen as one of the good big rock festivals. It's a lot more like Glasto in the fact that there is a lot of variety in the lineup. Heck, Halsey is playing this year

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

When you speak to people who are into electronic music, Creamfields is one of the big ones. Stuff like the variety in their staging set ups and how impressive their production is, as well as the fact they always have a lineup that includes most of the big electronic artists (similar to UMF, EDC etc)

I don't really have any friends who are really big into Rock, but even I know that R+L especially nowadays isn't seen as one of the good big rock festivals. It's a lot more like Glasto in the fact that there is a lot of variety in the lineup. Heck, Halsey is playing this year

It's not got a reputation for how it is at the moment though. It's famous and has a reputation due to the likes of Nirvana playing iconic shows there.

3 minutes ago, Hawky said:

Has no European shows announced. Wouldn't be surprised to see him hibernate and drop a couple of new tracks that bang at the end of the year.

He was great last year, had never really checked him out beforehand and heard good stuff about him and I was blown away!

Would love to have seen him back TBH.

Only festival he seems to be doing this year is Coachella unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

You might be right when you talk to modern teenagers but dance music has only really recently taken ahold of the major music festival market where it mainly used to be about rock music and Reading was a big name for it around the world.

7 minutes ago, jakecase said:

He was great last year, had never really checked him out beforehand and heard good stuff about him and I was blown away!

Would love to have seen him back TBH.

Only festival he seems to be doing this year is Coachella unfortunately.

He's done two UK tours of this album too (bought my mum tickets for the second one) 

So yeah, I dont expect him to be around until he has some new material.

4 hours ago, VinylDelusion said:

Dunno if it's been mentioned here, but Circa Waves said that they're playing main stage in this month's DIY magazine

I think both them and JEW will be, maybe as low as 5th and 6th but JEW only seem to get booked for main stage unless they are lockup double duty so do both. 

8 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

How much tv presence does Creamfields get though? R+L still regularly gets tv time every year because it's such an iconic festival across the world. 

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I think both them and JEW will be, maybe as low as 5th and 6th but JEW only seem to get booked for main stage unless they are lockup double duty so do both. 

JEW always tend to get booked on main amongst some indie rubbish so it'd make sense. They did sub the Radio 1 tent way back though, possibly even headlined it? Against Foo Fighters, one of the worst clashes ever.