Foals

Kendrick getting a bigger crowd than Libertines or Jamie T doesn't mean that 'hip hop' is more popular than 'indie'.

It probably does to a point you know, the lineups have gone back to a bit of a rockier base than indie fill so to speak because of the lack of it and there was a greater recognition for rock coming about.

The festival has brought in extra dance stages as well due to what the 'kids' enjoy and I imagine there is a fair crossover with Kendrick from that.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably does to a point you know, the lineups have gone back to a bit of a rockier base than indie fill so to speak because of the lack of it and there was a greater recognition for rock coming about.

The festival has brought in extra dance stages as well due to what the 'kids' enjoy and I imagine there is a fair crossover with Kendrick from that.

or because Kendrick has one of, if not the best albums of the year and the only other festival/UK show he played this year was at the shitfest that is Wireless

How are you defining indie?

Also Metallica getting a bigger crowd than Libertines doesn't mean 'rock' is more popular than 'indie'.

Kendrick getting a bigger crowd than Libertines or Jamie T doesn't mean that 'hip hop' is more popular than 'indie'.

It means the specific examples of those genres were more popular than the 'indie' on offer, which could be for a number of reasons rather than 'indie' not being popular.

As someone who went for the first time in years this year you could definitely see a movement to the dance tents and away from the mainstage, i'd never seen such disinterest in what the mainstage was offering. It wouldnt surprise me to see DJ's making their way to the mainstage in the next year or two.

I went with my friend's 16 year old and he wasnt really interested in bands and wanted to see Hannah Wants, Knife Party etc. Not sure how typical he is but the the crowd was younger in dance tents than mainstage for sure so it is likely to go that way i'd think.

No it doesn't at any point at all. 

Band a (being of genre y) getting a bigger crowd than act b (being of genre x) doesn't mean that genre y is more popular that genre x.

It may be the case that a genre is more popular than another but you can't point to  a single situation as 'proof'.

As someone who went for the first time in years this year you could definitely see a movement to the dance tents and away from the mainstage, i'd never seen such disinterest in what the mainstage was offering. It wouldnt surprise me to see DJ's making their way to the mainstage in the next year or two.

I went with my friend's 16 year old and he wasnt really interested in bands and wanted to see Hannah Wants, Knife Party etc. Not sure how typical he is but the the crowd was younger in dance tents than mainstage for sure so it is likely to go that way i'd think.

That sounds perfectly reasonable, but to say there won't be an 'indie' headliner next year because Metallica and Kendrick got better responses than Mumford and Libertines is daft.

Welcome to the Black Parade was a number one single and Teenagers peaked at number 9, Famous Last Words at 8 and I Don't Love You at 13, with the album going in at number 2. While the album after that wasn't as successful Na Na Na hit #31 and topped the UK Rock Chart along with Sing and Planetary (Go!). While it may be obvious that I am an MCR fan from this, they had massive previous success from both singles and albums and the Danger Days singles did relatively well for a punk/rock album.

I think that Florence is way more deserving of being the next new headliner, and the likes of BMTH and Kendrick will be stepping up in future years. I do like Foals but think a headline slot would be a bit of an anticlimax when a sub spot would suit them perfectly.

My Chemical Romance headlined off the back of an album that reached 14 in the UK charts (and their highest charting album before that was 2, the same as Foals). what's their excuse?

whilst it is unusual for a band to be booked to headline without a mega successful album, it does happen, and Foals will've been booked to headline long before the album charted at 3 - they will've been booked in the hope that this successful rising band is about to become even more successful

maybe they won't end up headlining next year, but almost everything points to it happening. maybe they'll even have to co-headline with somebody, but i doubt it

edit: and now even when they do end up headlining, you'll claim that it was because the festival had no other options rather than them deserving it, which wouldn't be true, as they've been an easily identifiable headliner for next year for years now

the fact that his only other UK show was Wireless still stands, whereas The Libertines have been playing everywhere over the last year and anybody who's wanted to see them has had multiple opportunities

You'll not see me saying anything other than The Libertines should only be subbing but a Hyde Park show and the majority of 3 shows at Ally Pally a few months later is more than Foals have done or probably ever will.

Personally I think Foals would be a good headliner next year but i can see why people question their size and do feel you would need two more established bands headlining too, but reckon a trio of foals/florence/muse etc would sell well.

You can't start dismissing their chances due to lack of number 1s though. The strokes never had a number 1 album but the kooks, the view, the vaccines, the maccabees all have, doesnt mean they're bigger bands

I can't deny thay foals/Florence/muse would probably sell well - but that wouldn't stop foals from getting a really small crowd and a weak booking.

Nothing would, it would be beyond weak to the point where we can't we say anyone can't headline as long as they've done Ally Pally and Bestival which is an complete bull criteria.