The Unthanks

hoils

Just had an email from The Unthanks stating:

Announced today, The Unthanks will take to the Pyramid Stage with an extended ‘orchestra’, conducted by Charles Hazlewood. Fronted by Rachel and Becky Unthank, the 26 piece ensemble, performing the arrangements of Unthanks pianist and musical director Adrian McNally and lead by BBC presenter and music establishment agitator Hazlewood, will hope for a glorious summer’s day as they open the main stage on Saturday.

Bugger - this looks like a must see event but I'm working til 12 - does the Pyramid start much before then, do you know?

If you're very lucky you might catch the last song or two. :( I reckon there's a fair chance they might play another set somewhere else though (but probably without the orchestra if they do).

I think the best start of the day act I've seen before was The Staves on the Other stage in 2013. Something very soothing about female voice harmonies, helps you ease into a new day. This should be right up there with that set!

i didn't know the Staves played then, i caught them that year purely by chance in Avalon - i was just passing as they started - and ended up staying for the whole set. it was ace.

This Unthanks news is great though. a must-see for me.

i didn't know the Staves played then, i caught them that year purely by chance in Avalon - i was just passing as they started - and ended up staying for the whole set. it was ace.

This Unthanks news is great though. a must-see for me.

Yeah, The Staves were first on the Other stage on Saturday, then played Avalon on Sunday evening. Not sure where I was then, otherwise would've seen them again. Bet they were really good in a smaller venue!

This will be a magical set - their harmonies and the orchestra will be amazing way to start the Saturday - hope for a great turnout for them like there was for War on Drugs last year

I'm going to watch these vids later, thanks! Love a big orchestra so will go to see them.

By the way, The Staves played 3 times in 2013, one of our group saw all three performances! I saw them open the Other stage, as you've said, beautiful way to start the day.

I'm going to watch these vids later, thanks! Love a big orchestra so will go to see them.

By the way, The Staves played 3 times in 2013, one of our group saw all three performances! I saw them open the Other stage, as you've said, beautiful way to start the day.

Where else did they play, Lucy? Did they do something in the Crow's Nest or somewhere similar?

Yeah, The Staves were first on the Other stage on Saturday, then played Avalon on Sunday evening. Not sure where I was then, otherwise would've seen them again. Bet they were really good in a smaller venue!

Sung like angels, swore like sailors and swigged lager straight from the can.

It was love at first sight.