Super Furry Animals!

michael eavis' beard

Even the interest in Gruff Rhys' eclipses SFAs if you use social media as a yard stick. SFA have pretty much been dormant since the rise of Twitter et al.

I was using last.fm as a medium rather than twitter. Portishead have 2 million listeners, whilst SFA have almost 400,000 and Gruff has 80,000. This is worldwide however, and I imagine Portishead have much more appeal abroad than SFA do.

Again, I don't use this medium to judge how big a band is usually. I don't usually care how big a band is at all really, but hey ho

Edited by WessexBoy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was using last.fm as a medium rather than twitter. Portishead have 2 million listeners, whilst SFA have almost 400,000 and Gruff has 80,000. This is worldwide however, and I imagine Portishead have much more appeal abroad than SFA do.

Again, I don't use this medium to judge how big a band is usually. I don't usually care how big a band is at all really, but hey ho

can you please look and see how many listeners nick cave and the flaming lips have?? ta! oh and leonard cohen.

Now this is a band that escaped me back then, I will have to investigate just to satisfy my interest, i'll probably recognise some of the tunes anyway without knowing it was them :) I seem to remember another thread like this starting last year concerning Sigur Ros and look what happened there! Nothing. But anyway I like hearing stuff I missed. You can't listen to everything.... can you.

Now this is a band that escaped me back then, I will have to investigate just to satisfy my interest, i'll probably recognise some of the tunes anyway without knowing it was them :) I seem to remember another thread like this starting last year concerning Sigur Ros and look what happened there! Nothing. But anyway I like hearing stuff I missed. You can't listen to everything.... can you.

you will definitely know demons, she's got spies, hello sunshine, if you dont want me to destroy you, fire in my heart and maybe the man dont give a fuck I reckon

It's usually a terrible cliche but the best of - Songbook - is a great place to start. Then go back to Fuzzy Logic and work chronologically.

Suspect that last.fm stats will have their own inbuilt selection bias due to the likelihood of users being more music-geeky (and I say that as someone who uses it himself). If you were to compare streaming stats there'd be no competition.

That's pretty much the case (those stats are available too, it's a great site for music geeks).

Back on topic, think I made my brother's day telling him this news. It'd better be more than just a reissue now :lol:

best thing about songbook is it gives you easy access to the man dont give a fuck and ice hockey hair

Remember buying The Man... on CD single - came with a sticker saying "WARNING: THIS SONG CONTAINS THE WORD F***! 50 TIMES"

The Ice Hockey Hair EP is awesome - as well as the title track, Smokin' is also one of their best tunes.

I remember seeing them at the Forum in Kentish Town forever ago. Persuaded a mate to come, who knew nothing about them. He then jibbed and I went on my own. They were phenomenal. Man Don't Give...as the encore and the place went mental.

Saw them at V in '99, when the festival still had some self-respect.

I've still got the blue rubber sleeved version of Outpaced, though I never play CDs anymore.

Super-Furry-Animals-Outspaced---blue-268

I would absolutely love them to play GF2015...

Ben