A new Prince thread!

Guest mattyc1965

latest word I'm hearing (not to do with Glastonbury) is that Prince is still doing his "I'll only give you an answer when I'm ready and not when you want it" thing.

It doesn't appear to be the case that the new deal with Warners has made him any more gig-happy.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking into account the fact he'll almost certainly have been personally approached while he was in the UK

I can't be certain, but I don't think he was.

I know that someone spoke with him and asked him about Glastonbury, and about the only thing he knew about it was that it existed. He didn't know that it wasn't run for profit, for example.

Edited by eFestivals

I can't be certain, but I don't think he was.

I know that someone spoke with him and asked him about Glastonbury, and about the only thing he knew about it was that it existed. He didn't know that it wasn't run for profit, for example.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Eavis pays himself about £50,000 and the rest goes to charity. If that's true he deserves every penny of it.

It might not be that exactly (but it's probably not far off), and there might be other ways that he gains (via what's paid to the farm, perhaps), and I'm sure he's made a few quid from 40 years of running the festival.

But he's certainly not coined it in the manner than he might otherwise have done, and millions of pounds (maybe tens of millions?) has been given away to the likes of Oxfam, WaterAid, and Greenpeace over the years, as well as to many local schools, organisations, clubs, etc.

It's certainly very nice that the world's premier festival is about something else than getting rich. While the old free festivals got stomped into the ground by authority and regulations, they've certainly left an indelible mark onto all of UK festival culture, stretching far wider than just Glastonbury - and that's a very good thing. :)

It might not be that exactly (but it's probably not far off), and there might be other ways that he gains (via what's paid to the farm, perhaps), and I'm sure he's made a few quid from 40 years of running the festival.

But he's certainly not coined it in the manner than he might otherwise have done, and millions of pounds (maybe tens of millions?) has been given away to the likes of Oxfam, WaterAid, and Greenpeace over the years, as well as to many local schools, organisations, clubs, etc.

It's certainly very nice that the world's premier festival is about something else than getting rich. While the old free festivals got stomped into the ground by authority and regulations, they've certainly left an indelible mark onto all of UK festival culture, stretching far wider than just Glastonbury - and that's a very good thing. :)

I don't know about the charity to local firms, or the purchase of surrounding fields. I'm guessing the festival pays for those too?

I could only guess, and my guess would be that the farm has acquired any extra land, but that might have been funded along the way by the rental that the festival pays to the farm for the land.

GFL (or the yearly companies) aren't legally 'not for profit' firms though are they? I thought they were normal businesses that just happened to give most of their profits to charity - so Michael could pay himself (well, the shareholders) a couple of million one year if he felt like it?

As far as I'm aware they're normal companies, and it works pretty much how you say.

I believe that in more recent years there's been a bit of retention of money by the company (rather than given all of it away), purely to be used as a financial buffer. The slow sales for the Jay-Z year caused Michael a lot of worry over the finances because it might have been a financial disaster. So they're trying to build up a safety net, just in case something similar happens again.

Either that, or it's Michael's retirement fund. :P

He lives in a nice house.

He built himself a new one a few years ago, which i'm guessing (I've not seen it) gives him more space than the farmhouse.

The farmhouse is actually a number of different dwellings, tho i'm not sure how many. I've been in what I guess should be called a flat in the farmhouse, tho it wasn't one occupied by an Eavis.

He built himself a new one a few years ago, which i'm guessing (I've not seen it) gives him more space than the farmhouse.

The farmhouse is actually a number of different dwellings, tho i'm not sure how many. I've been in what I guess should be called a flat in the farmhouse, tho it wasn't one occupied by an Eavis.

All 3 have arenas but then all 3 have o2 academy's too I think so could be either or then again neither I suppose.

No help am I