Weather

matt_berr

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a bad year, probably the second worse I've had (except 07), but it could have been worse. Once the site is a certain level of muddiness, you just crack on. It only took a day of no rain to clear the mud up somewhat (unfortunately, it rained every day!).

next year will be better :)

It was a bad year, probably the second worse I've had (except 07), but it could have been worse. Once the site is a certain level of muddiness, you just crack on. It only took a day of no rain to clear the mud up somewhat (unfortunately, it rained every day!).

next year will be better :)

2011 was definitely worse

Very much like 04 - I wore the t-shirt most of sunday as it seemed appropriate

So I say STICK.

2010 was hellish at points - I'm not a hot weather person but just about handled it, still had faint points every day and that's no fun. I have had proper sunstroke and gone mental - had to have my two massive burly rugby style uncles carry and force me underwater in a cold-water tank kept in the shade to get me back to normal - was trying to tear my skin off to get at the insects underneath and falling over everywhere, messy. Wouldn't ever want it to happen again

The flatmate spent 50% of the festival hiding under a shelter made of sun blankets and bits to funnel the limited breeze, ruined his festival tbh

I wouldn't want it to happen again in any hurry, I'd take any number of 05/04/11/14 mid-mud-fests first

Edited by frostypaw

I preferred this year's offerings to 2010. I'm not against hot weather - I lived in Australia for 2 years - but there was little shade to be had. I love drinking beer in the daytime, it's one of my pleasures - but in '10 as soon as I had a pint, I got a splitting headache and needed to drink water. I was forever chasing my own liquids. Ridiculous.

This year I got to slink off for a pint when it looked a bit cloudy - which was often. Very often. Lovely! Any year where you set up, and put down, in the dry - and in the meantime get to don wellies - is alright by me. I took walking boots too btw. If it was just thurs n fri's rain, I would have called this 10/10 for me. Saturday's rain means I call it an 8/10.

Thought it was one of the muddier years I've been to! Found Saturday tough, couldnt sit down all day and the walk back from shangri-la at 3am was hell. Would hope for better next year

Hmmm, not all all muddy compared to 97, 98 ad 05.

Was chatting to a chap in The Bimble Inn around 2am on the Sat night about the mud. He said 05 was far worse.

I've been 08 and 11 and that was the worst I'd seen it. Was just hard work walking anywhere on the Sat night, being in a cider induced state didn't help!

Was chatting to a chap in The Bimble Inn around 2am on the Sat night about the mud. He said 05 was far worse.

I've been 08 and 11 and that was the worst I'd seen it. Was just hard work walking anywhere on the Sat night, being in a cider induced state didn't help!

2005 was much worse mud- I remember walking by the other stage at night and it was a near knee deep swamp!

One big difference I have noticed is a few years ago they used diggers to scrape away the mud in the market stall area- since then it doesn't really get muddy on the pathways because it's mainly just rock now.

I think Guy Garvey should have his own stage at the festival, where he sings from Wednesday morning through to Sunday evening non-stop - with people poking him with a stick if it looks like he's going to nod off. Every time I've seen Elbow at Glastonbury the weather has been glorious!

I can't share your sentiment having seen them at Jodrell Bank. That gig was worse than Glastonbury 2007 Sunday. After Guy saying "They said it would be biblical" when the rain didn't seem too bad at the start of the gig. Well it was bloody biblical!

Having said that, the fireworks for Scattered Black And Whites did look lovely :)

This year was muddy until well into Sunday and wellies were required up at the Park still until it finished, so it wasn't the best. The shower on Saturday saw to that. However, overall, it didn't rain any where near as much as I feared.

97 was horrendous - rained pretty much all weekend on and off, was cold, and the mud was there the entire time. Worst year I've experienced.

05 was unbelievable rain until Friday lunchtime, but then it stopped. The site was literally a lake until Saturday when large trucks were brought in to suck water away and put woodchip down. Funnily enough Saturday and Sunday were glorious weather.

11 was miserable right through to Saturday lunchtime, but was good after that, and the site dried well by Sunday.

So the difference this year was that the Saturday tea time rain meant it wasn't completely dry everywhere on Sunday. Rained less, but pretty wildly when it did, and the timing meant I was in wellies all weekend. Aside from 97 that's never happened (I don't arrive till Thursday lunchtime mind).

Surely the heliophobes aren't so in love with this year's rain and mud that they wouldn't swap it in a heartbeat for last year's weather.

Totally, but thinking of ideal weather years in the last ten festivals i get 03, 08, 09, 13... am I wrong? Still a bit squiffy. either way the odd on good/bad seem fairly close to even it's no sure gamble

Was it just me and my friend who woke p during the night on the sat night absolutely freezing?

I was shaking in my sleeping bag, had to pull the hood part over my head and make sure I was covered in the blanket I take for such occasions... Was dark no idea on time...

Next night I slept in two t-shirts.... Cider logic there! like an extra t-shirt would of helped!

Was it just me and my friend who woke p during the night on the sat night absolutely freezing?

I was shaking in my sleeping bag, had to pull the hood part over my head and make sure I was covered in the blanket I take for such occasions... Was dark no idea on time...

Next night I slept in two t-shirts.... Cider logic there! like an extra t-shirt would of helped!

Yes, I have a vague memory of waking up at some point saturday night, and being frozen, thinking "I'm never going to get back to sleep again", then pulled a blanket over me and went out like a light. Same thing happened Sunday night- the chilliest nights I can remember in a few years.

Anyone got any idea how much rain fell during Friday's deluge? A few forecasts mentioned there would be 10mm of rain during the afternoon, for future reference I would like to know what it actually was! I'm guessing it was a lot more, cant seem to find any info online tho

Anyone got any idea how much rain fell during Friday's deluge? A few forecasts mentioned there would be 10mm of rain during the afternoon, for future reference I would like to know what it actually was! I'm guessing it was a lot more, cant seem to find any info online tho

No idea but a few drops fell into me cider and me cider jumped out.... Put hand over the cup... Didn't take long for my hand to be soaked.... Almost had diluted cider...

I don't think I've ever seen rain drops as big as those before... Looked a bit like hail/sleet when landing on my black jacket....

I reckon had it not rained the site would have not churned up. ;)

Very funny, but I think the site was coping fine till that massive downpour. After that again we only had light showers... If that thunderstorm had drifted 1/2 left or right we'd have had a good a year as last.