The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

I am now in receipt of the re-release of You're Worth More To Me Than 1,000 Christians by Les Mouches. I hadn't heard of it either until it was announced for re-release. I now know that Les Mouches were a band who existed just over ten years ago, that featured Owen Pallett as their main vocalist and violinist, before he went on to become known for his own work and work with literally everybody else (and I do mean literally everybody else, he's the Kevin Bacon of music). The band didn't exist for long, and only about 400 CD copies of this album originally were made, now it's been remastered by the band members themselves and some other cats like Will Butler and given a limited release of 500 LPs. The music itself is lovely, if rather niche. What's remarkable is the quality of the product here and the care that's gone into it. I waited ages for this album because pressing problems kept pushing the date back, I now see exactly why that is, as the disc itself is a swirl of gold and pink vinyl. It looks amazing, definitely the most striking disc I own. I'm told that this album is scented with a custom-made fragrance, but my poor sense of smell wouldn't know about that. It also came with a hand written thank you note, a logo-stamped teabag (jasmine-infused green tea), and some manner of confection, but the packet is in some Asian language, possibly Chinese, so I have no idea whether I can eat it or not.

On 5 November 2015 at 7:48:05 p.m., Mardy said:

Just spunked money i can ill afford on a lovely reissue of one of the greatest albums ever, The Magnetic Fields '69 Love Songs' on 6 10" discs. Out tomorrow. Can't wait to settle down with it when I'm back in the UK at Christmas. God, I love that record

*chapeau*

A modern classic in every respect.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm back in the world of vinyl having splashed out on a new turntable and have had a wonderful day revisiting some of my old collection. 

As you'd expect, as most of it is around 30 years old, a lot of it isn't in the best condition. Do any of the vinyl cleaners available actually have any more benefit than just giving an LP a wipe down with a cloth? If so, any recommendations? 

On 21/11/2015, 15:47:04, Gnomicide said:

As you'd expect, as most of it is around 30 years old, a lot of it isn't in the best condition. Do any of the vinyl cleaners available actually have any more benefit than just giving an LP a wipe down with a cloth? If so, any recommendations? 

I would say you can't wipe a scratch away with anything :)

On 21/11/2015, 15:47:04, Gnomicide said:

So I'm back in the world of vinyl having splashed out on a new turntable and have had a wonderful day revisiting some of my old collection. 

Spin clean washers seem to be the way forward. I've a load of records I inherited that need a good clean into the grooves. Haven't invested myself but I may.

1 hour ago, whisty said:

I would say you can't wipe a scratch away with anything :)

A fine point but does clearing out the groves reduce crackling, pops and the like or do they just make the vinyl a bit more shiny? I suppose I could read those Amazon reviews but where's the fun in that.

18 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

A fine point but does clearing out the groves reduce crackling, pops and the like or do they just make the vinyl a bit more shiny? I suppose I could read those Amazon reviews but where's the fun in that.

They do clean into the grooves apparently yeah. And make them shiny!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

No live 1st listen commentary :)?

Got no record player at the moment here in Russia, but getting one soon. I quite fancy a few live listens in 2016 if you and wooders are up for it? I say Abbey Road in the shop too

22 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Got no record player at the moment here in Russia, but getting one soon. I quite fancy a few live listens in 2016 if you and wooders are up for it? I say Abbey Road in the shop too

Yeah, it was good.

Someone alerted me to the RAM Album Club after that. If you don't know it, it's a great idea - Someone listens to a classic album for the first time each week.

The preview writing by the guy who runs the site is always excellent, the reviewer can be pot luck but it's given me a few ideas of stuff I should know but don't. Some surprising outcomes too, still floored by the reviewer for Stick Fingers.