The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

They had some Nick Drake in Sainsbury's, but it was under Universal's "Back To Black" imprint. I don't have anything from that line, I was warned by a friend that they're generally really poor masters, in some cases you're essentially getting a big CD. Anybody know how valid that is?

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

They had some Nick Drake in Sainsbury's, but it was under Universal's "Back To Black" imprint. I don't have anything from that line, I was warned by a friend that they're generally really poor masters, in some cases you're essentially getting a big CD. Anybody know how valid that is?

All three albums were remastered from the original pre eq master tapes and sound absolutely fantastic. As good as it gets. Buy them.

"The original tape was unusable and although there were tape copies the best source was using a 24bit digital file made from the original tape when re-mastered for CD some 12 years ago."

Recording Engineer John Wood on FLL.

It still sounds ace, but BL and PM are fully analog.

Whats everyones views on record store day? 

I love the principal of it and it is nice to see musicians get behind it. It is a nightmare though for going vinyl hunting. Generally I will stay well clear  on RSD. If there is anything I want I will ask if they will keep me a copy to one side.

So the general consensus is it is not really a day for the vinyl enthusiast to venture out?

It must work though as last time I ventured out, Vinyl Exchange was rammed and they were queueing down Oldham St to get in Piccadilly Records.

You are best off being a regular customer through the rest of the year as your favourite establishment will probably keep what you want to one side.

56 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Can't be arsed with that malarkey. I'll trundle along late on to see if owt's left that takes my eye but that's about it.

I would still end up scouring through the sad boxes looking for obscure white labels.

3 hours ago, eastynh said:

So the general consensus is it is not really a day for the vinyl enthusiast to venture out?

It must work though as last time I ventured out, Vinyl Exchange was rammed and they were queueing down Oldham St to get in Piccadilly Records.

You are best off being a regular customer through the rest of the year as your favourite establishment will probably keep what you want to one side.

It's to get people into the shop that wouldn't usually be there. Great for the shop, but best to steer clear if you're a regular. I went to Piccadilly Records once in 2014, I wanted the repressing of Fourteen Autumns And Fifteen Winters by The Twilight Sad. I walked past on the way to work in the morning and thought "fuck that", then turned up after work at about 5:30, they had a copy left. I snapped it up and left. Was a bit gutted when I got home and saw some fans were really upset because they'd missed out and there were copies on ebay for £100s already. The band were really great, assured everybody they'd get back to press as soon as they could, got another run a few months later, sold them to real fans from the merch tables at the shows.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It's to get people into the shop that wouldn't usually be there. Great for the shop, but best to steer clear if you're a regular. I went to Piccadilly Records once in 2014, I wanted the repressing of Fourteen Autumns And Fifteen Winters by The Twilight Sad. I walked past on the way to work in the morning and thought "fuck that", then turned up after work at about 5:30, they had a copy left. I snapped it up and left. Was a bit gutted when I got home and saw some fans were really upset because they'd missed out and there were copies on ebay for £100s already. The band were really great, assured everybody they'd get back to press as soon as they could, got another run a few months later, sold them to real fans from the merch tables at the shows.

I found a copy of that album a couple months later in a record shop, I was delighted as knew it was hard to get. 

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

All is fair in love and vinyl mate. It is a cut throat hobbie. Have suffered over the years with people giving me blag names of tunes (someone told me Yobots - I got it, was called Yourboy - you turkey, is one off top of my head) Have even had people refuse to tell me the name of tunes. 

It really was an everyone for themselves thing. Thankfully the Internet has mostly put an end to behaviour like that.