The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

• 2 weeks later...
On 18 February 2016 at 3:38 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

This bill Ryder Jones album just gets better and better with each listen. 

Just heard the lyrics to Daniel properly for the first time.Heartbreaking. 

Absolute cracker of an album, isn't it? Love it. My mate saw him at Hebden Bridge on Friday, says he was excellent

So various relatives and in-laws have been giving me their old LPs over the past year or so, and I have tons of unplayed stuff in my cupboard.  So yesterday I decided to listen to Neil Young's "Harvest" for the first time ever (yeah, I know).  I won't say I was blown away by it, but it was pleasant enough.  I'm not a massive Neil Young fan anyway.

Next up George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass"

Here is my lifelong passion. Nothing beats the thrill of turning up in a far flung town and routing through dusty boxes of vinyl. Been collecting for 20 odd years now. Got a couple of thousand in my house and a load more at my parents (mainly shit to be fair but can't bring myself to bin them)

Mine are predominantly old skool house, piano house, rave, breakbeat and old skool hardcore. Have got a load of rock and pop type stuff as well.

Its an addiction that I can not shake to this day. My decks are not even set up yet I can't stop buying vinyl. I think the 'black crack' moniker is extremely apt :-)

20160229_212828.jpg

• Upvote 1

Went to see Barry Adamson last night, had to pick up the vinyl (Know where to Run), not played yet bit of a thick head this morning, wish I had after listening to this taster. Catch him if you can, another show in London next week sometime, rare as hens teeth his recent  shows in the UK.  Glad I bought the vinyl as it's sold out on his web site. 

" So long as you can tolerate the musical hopscotch that a Barry Adamson album always represents, ‘Know Where To Run’ is probably as good an introduction to this peripatetic musician as you're ever likely to need. Just make sure to expect the unexpected"

Edited by whisty

Promised myself i wasnt going to buy anything this week, cos i want to buy that Bowie box set, and i ought to save up for it, but nipped into the shop today and got

husker du: warehouse (rsd release from a while back)

van morrison : moondance

kraftwerk: trans europe express

got the kraftwek on now. Sounds tremendous

Long shot this I know with you bunch of hippies on here, but it may be worth a go :P

I have been searching for the name of a tune for the best part of 15 years. It is a mid nineties piano mash up which uses the piano from Offshore - I can't take the power and uses the vocal from Dupree - Brass Disc.

There was only one bloke who I knew that had it. He is a disabled DJ who used to play at Maximes in Wigan (Dj Ectic, check him out on youtube. He uses his tongue and chin to mix the records. Absolutely astounding what he does). I asked him a few times what it was called and he would not tell him. I will not lie, I wanted to pop the bastards tyres on his wheelchair. But with me being the way I am, I decided to turn the other cheek and not give up on my quest.

Anyway after nearly 15 years, I have finally found out what it is. Predictably there are none for sale on discogs and I can not find one anywhere, I appreciate this tune will not really be to many people tastes on here, but you are all vinyl enthusiasts and it may crop up on your travels. If you could help me out then I would really appreciate it.

https://www.discogs.com/Mike-E-Fever/release/1732869

On 22/02/2016 at 11:16 PM, Gnomicide said:

Gave the Bill Ryder Jones album a listen the other day based on you lot going on about him. Pretty good, yeah I could get into that. Always weird when you hear singers/bands mentioning places close to home though.

Oddly I don't get a mention.

Met him after the gig last night. Lovely fella. Bought the record and he signed it and then it vanished from the pub I was in later when they were chucking us out. :(

Picked up a copy of Karen Dalton's 'In My Own Time' for 300 roubles this afternoon (about 3 quid). Just checked on Discogs, it's going for 40 Euro. Sweet.

Mind you, I also bought an absolute dog of a Solomon Burke album from the mid 80s. What the fuck happened to music production between about 83 and 89? Awful.

15 hours ago, Mardy said:

Excellent news, fucking lovely

13 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Brilliant! Hope it's not damaged or owt. 

All good, protective sleeve was opened but thats all. I reckon they had a crisis of conscience when they saw he signed it and dropped it back. Guy in the pub said it was taken "by mistake". 

8 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Just setting off to pick up limited edition of new iggy pop and James albums. That's my afternoon accounted for!

Huge vinyl fair in Dublin today. Bought about 10 albums for 30 quid last year. Actually felt bad about how cheap it all was!