The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

I've decided recently to start get back into buying vinyl, but instead of buying 12" singles that I used to, now going to buy LPs.

I don't know if this site will interest anyone on here (music taste etc), but I've already bought the Mr Scruff and Bonobo albums, and waiting for the Herbaliser and Quantic ones to be released:

http://www.beatdelete.com/

Great idea imo.

Just wish that vinyl wasn't as expensive as it is!

Bought these second hand at the weekend, all in great condition...

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (£20)

Dire Straits - Love Over Gold (£3)

Pop Will Eat Itself - Box Frenzy (£4)

U2 - Rattle And Hum (£7)

Byrds - Greatest Hits (£4)

All absolute bargains! The Dark Side of The Moon sounds amazing.

I found a first pressing of Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced too. A snip at £400! And Axis Bold As Love for £300.

The Wailers - Burnin
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Survival
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Uprising
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Exodus
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Catch A Fire
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Rastaman Vibration
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Natty Dread
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Smash Hits
Jim Hendrix - Live
Jim Hendrix - The Jimi Hendrix Concerts
Jim Hendrix - Crash Landing
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love
The Beatles - With The Beatles
The Beatles - Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
John Lennon - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
John Lennon - The John Lennon Collection
The Beatles - 1962-1966
The Beatles - 1967-1970
The Who - My Generation
Thats the list of stuff I got

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone pick up anything on Record Store Day?

I found At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command on 2 x LPs on Orange vinyl and the XX - Jamie XX edits so i am a happy man playing my vinyl!

That at The Drive in slab is a winner. Heading into town now for a look. Nothing in mind really. I'll most likely end up in the pub. The RSD stuff is pricey!

I'm more interested in these Third Man blues releases to be honest. Jack White behind it. Non profit. $16 each for a double slab of 180 gram Charley Patton, Blind Willie McTell and Mississippi Sheik. Or $40 for all three! No wonder its sold out.

That at The Drive in slab is a winner. Heading into town now for a look. Nothing in mind really. I'll most likely end up in the pub. The RSD stuff is pricey!

I'm more interested in these Third Man blues releases to be honest. Jack White behind it. Non profit. $16 each for a double slab of 180 gram Charley Patton, Blind Willie McTell and Mississippi Sheik. Or $40 for all three! No wonder its sold out.

Yeah they are hardly giving it away at £5-£6 for a 7", £10-£11 for 12" and £20-£30 for an album.

ATDI was £29, not a great price but I will be back to my usual bargain hunting next week.

They do look very nice indeed!

Yeah they are hardly giving it away at £5-£6 for a 7", £10-£11 for 12" and £20-£30 for an album.

ATDI was £29, not a great price but I will be back to my usual bargain hunting next week.

They do look very nice indeed!

RSD is cool but I'm starting to smell a touch of bullshit from it.

Went a bit crazy on Record Store Day today:

- David Bowie - The Stars Are Out Tonight/Where Are We Now

- The XX - Jamie XX Edits

- The Clash - Ties On The Line

- Mark Lanegan and Duke Garwood - Cold Molly

- Moby and Mark Lanegan - The Lonely Night

- The Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant

- Paul Weller - Flame-Out! (for a mate who collects Weller but couldn't make it)

- Nirvana - ...and the rest BBC Sessions

- Garbage and the Screaming Females - Because The Night

- Marillion - Grendel Picture Disc

Got a free 12" - Music Finland With the Line Of Best Fit

RSD is cool but I'm starting to smell a touch of bullshit from it.

Its the prices that annoy me really.

Yeah, I know they are exclusives etc, but still nearly £70 for 2 LPs, a 12" single and a 7" single is a bit mental!

Having been to record store day for the last few years I decided to give it a miss this year. I think it's become a huge rip off, LPs can be £30 and 7" start at £6. You can buy the majority of the records on eBay a few months later cheaper than on record store day. I'd prefer to get good old original 60s and 70s stuff instead of over priced reissues

RSD should be more about the actual listening to great music. Seems to have ballooned into a monkey shit-fight over the rareity or re-sale value about some of the releases. I got the Nick Drake 12" on the day but fail to see why it couldnt have been a regular release? Same goes for the At The 'king Drive In album. Ireland got about 10 copies of that in total. Why??? Do the band not want more people to hear/have/listen to it?!?

Also I'm baffled by the enormous queues. I mean hype is one thing, but the queue at Banquet in Surrey mustve had 500 people in it at one stage. A 4 hour wait. Is this enjoyable to people?

Shark might have been jumped on it this year for me too. The first two or three years of RSD I didnt participate due to misgivings about the nature of the whole thing. Might go back to that buzz if I'm honest.

RSD should be more about the actual listening to great music. Seems to have ballooned into a monkey shit-fight over the rareity or re-sale value about some of the releases. I got the Nick Drake 12" on the day but fail to see why it couldnt have been a regular release? Same goes for the At The 'king Drive In album. Ireland got about 10 copies of that in total. Why??? Do the band not want more people to hear/have/listen to it?!?

Also I'm baffled by the enormous queues. I mean hype is one thing, but the queue at Banquet in Surrey mustve had 500 people in it at one stage. A 4 hour wait. Is this enjoyable to people?

Shark might have been jumped on it this year for me too. The first two or three years of RSD I didnt participate due to misgivings about the nature of the whole thing. Might go back to that buzz if I'm honest.

I mostly agree with this. What should be a device to get people into proper record shops has become consumed by the hype.