The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

• 1 month later...

Went bananas in Third Man Records in Nashville and bought the entire "Document Records" Reissues.

9 albums. 3 x Charley Patton, 3 x Blind Willie McTell and 3 x Mississippi Sheiks. Highly recommended for any blues hounds out there. They sound fantastic!

Also got "Dirty Blues" by Lightnin' Hopkins. Superb.

Was also in Grimeys in Nashville and the Jazz Trade Mart in Chicago. Which the best record shop I've ever been in, pound for pound. Pity I'm not a jazz aficionado as they seem to have it all there.

They were playing Wes Montgomery who'd I'd never really heard and is shit hot. So so good.

Edited by The Nal

Wes is amazing. I'm still discovering him.

I've only just started. Some guitar player! Not really into the jazzy stuff but I like when he went a bit funkier.

It's an amazing record. Heart attack add vine sounds not too shabby either. Jersey girl is beautiful.

Listened to dirty house blues last night. It's superb. Took cubic of a punt on that as I'd not really heard owt by him but the guy on the stall reckoned he was his favourite blues artist and seemed to know what he was on about. He wasn't wrong.

Lightnin' Hopkins is great yeah. Drank a bottle of gin a day. Didn't give a fuck. A boss.

This is about as "blues" as you'll get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtXD4wZobnA&feature=share&list=PL55E32E568B0CACA8

A lot of his folkier stuff is brilliant too.

Brilliant. I promised myself/wallet I wouldn't be going to a fair that's on at the end of the month. I can already feel myself breaking that promise. I don't own enough old school blues - and it's just not the same on CD.

Its not you're right. But you can pick them up 2nd hand for buttons.

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, only just found this thread. Afternoon all.

Loads of good stuff that didn't get a proper vinyl release 10 years ago or so coming out now at a decent price. Ordered 'Nashville' and '1972' by Josh Rouse for 12 quid a pop this week.

• 2 months later...

Swordfishtrombones, Bo Diddley singles collection, Live at the Cellar Door, Journal for Plague Lovers and If I Could Only Remember my Name all received on 180g vinyl for Christmas.

With work and the pub, only had chance to listen to Waits, Young and Crosby so far but all superb.

Cellar Door worth a purchase then? Picked up On The Beach. Bog standard pressing. Pretty good though.

Got some more Waits too. Closing Time is fantastic on 180gm. Martha. Wow.

Edited by The Nal

• 2 weeks later...

hello all

i've just started listening to vinyl again having bought myself a turntable amp and speaker set.

my sister got me a new limited edition of deacon blues first album "raintown" its on a 180g blue vinyl and has been remastered but my old original copy from 25 years ago sounds way better.

is this normally the case for the re-released LPs?.

it was only released a few months ago and looks the part but the sound quality is poor.

the set up works great. i also got new albums from midlake and john grant which sound amazing.

its just that one album and with having the original it stands out a mile.

i'll send Demon (the company that pressed it) an email and see what they say.

i was just wondering if you get a drop in quality when albums are re-pressed or what ever it is they do.

the new copy of raintown I've got sounds quiet and you can't really hear the small sounds that well unless you turn it right up.

the old copy has an all round better more full sound at all volume levels.

its hard to believe that something full of scratches and been stuck in the loft for 20 years could sound better.

they charge £20 for a new shiny copy when you could pick up a good condition second hand for a few pound.

think i'll stay away from the re-mastered vinyl till i've listened to it in the shop first.

the new copy of raintown I've got sounds quiet and you can't really hear the small sounds that well unless you turn it right up.

the old copy has an all round better more full sound at all volume levels.

its hard to believe that something full of scratches and been stuck in the loft for 20 years could sound better.

they charge £20 for a new shiny copy when you could pick up a good condition second hand for a few pound.

think i'll stay away from the re-mastered vinyl till i've listened to it in the shop first.

I always prefer to pick up a nice second hand copy than buy new stuff anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

My internet purchase of Travellin' had to be returned as it was scratched to fuck. Got this instead. Bargain!

Thank you you lying ebay man worked out better in the end. (Vinyl is Excellent minus my hairy arsehole!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whiskey-Wimmen-Gatefold-Vinyl-VINYL/dp/B0050KVCNO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1391458986&sr=8-5&keywords=John+lee+hooker+vinyl

Ah excellent. Have the same one myself. Really good place to get stuck in to some Hooker.

Shame about Travelin. Keeping an eye out for one myself.

Edited by The Nal

• 2 weeks later...