The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

mmmm!

Don't really see Sir Alex as a fan of Einsturzende Neubauten, PiL and The Ramones to be honest.

Although I reckon with the Neville Brothers and Nicky Butt in the team, other players didn't want to go "down to the Basement."

Dunno. I hear Fergie does a great "Careering" on karaoke.

Interested to hear about these 180g duds. From personal experience you can find a dud pressing at 180g of course. But beyond that the issue is mastering, no?

Only what I've been reading - one of the 180gm Exile on Main St pressings being an example - but apparently some of the production values have taken a nose dive in favour of rushing out any old crap on 180gm for RSD releases etc as "they" have realised that theres a few quid still to be made from vinyl. One of the few formats on the increase.

The recent 40th of Ziggy for example. First copy I got was a real dud - think it had a nick in it that made the thing skip right out of the sleeve. Swapped it in the record store and the next copy was ace. Best version of Ziggy ive ever heard.

My ears arent as sensitive as they used to be - too many gigs in my youth without ear plugs! - so I'm not the best person to confirm this but theres loads of anecdotal evidence that the whole 180g pressing lark is a marketing gimmick. Its just weight/feel rather than quality of sound.

When did the first 180g records start to appear anyhoo?

The next day arrived on double lp today. At end of side three at minute. Quite astounding that these people keep producing such great stuff after all this time. I thought last year's Neil young was a one off for the old timers.

You got Psychedelic Pill on wax? Just noticed on amazon it's now down to £33. Sure it was well over £50 when it first came out.

The next day arrived on double lp today. At end of side three at minute. Quite astounding that these people keep producing such great stuff after all this time. I thought last year's Neil young was a one off for the old timers.

The Station To Station überboxset is a personal fave.

Ok, as I mentioned previously I bit the bullet and forked for a Pro-Ject essential turntable as recommended. Saving for amp etc now. What do people reckon to this as a system?

http://www.m.richersounds.com/product/hi-fi-system-deals/marantz/pah01376/pah01376

Am I going to notice a decent difference over my current Onkyo cr-515 micro system (with the bundled onkyo speakers) and the cheap (£30) phono stage I currently have? IE is it worth me upgrading? Need a new CD player anyway as the one in my micro system doesn't work!

I can't comment on your system but I would definitely recommend upgrading your pre amp. The difference between a £30 and a decent one (around 80 quid) is massive (if you have decent amp and speakers).

I've only got a little micro system but want a bigger system in time hence the cheaper phono stage. ;)

If I had the setup I linked tho I wouldn't need a different phono stage, hence not buying a more expensive one first up! ;)

I'll take my useless advice elsewhere then ;)

Note to self: Must learn to read things properly

No worries :)

If the CD player in the onkyo still worked I'd totally be sticking with it for a while and upgrading the phono stage (probably to the one windy miller linked earlier in the thread) but seeing as I need to replace it (the micro) anyway (with a nice separates system probably), I didn't bother forking out an extra £50 on a more expensive phono stage that would be redundant... :)

So the advice was good, just not quite relevant :)

So I've decided that when I'm back at University I'm going to bring my vinyl player with me and start collecting.

Anyone know of any cheap places in Camden or around the Central London area?

Assuming its still there - Honest Jon's records at the top of Portobello Road (especially for Blues, Jazz and Funk).

Saying that - looooong time since I was in there so may be long gone or changed. On a side comment - used to see Nick Cave in there a lot when he lived in the area

Yamaha AS500. I bought one 18 months ago when my trusty old Marantz went pop. It's a great amp, won a What Hi-Fi award last year, with a decent enough on-board phono stage.

Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 speakers arrived today! Will be cracking these badboys open tomorrow. Have no amp mind you so just going to use my old mans Technics one until I can afford the Yamaha AS500.

Have Breathe by the Prodigy on 12 inch just to test out The Trick on them!