The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

The Cambridge Audio phono stage (Azur 640P) would be great with the Pro-Ject deck. With the greatest of respect to the Nal, I wouldn't touch a 15 quid, battery powered phono stage with a 10 foot stick...

Yeah its only a starter really but still sounds great.

Various opinions for and against battery powered from what I've seen.

Yeah its only a starter really but still sounds great.

Various opinions for and against battery powered from what I've seen.

As long as you're happy, that's all that counts

But I think if you tried a better phono stage your ears would thank you. Even my ancient and much drums can hear the difference between the built in phono stage in my Yamaha AS 500 (which isnt bad) and the offboard Musical Fidelity stage I've used for the last 15 years....

As long as you're happy, that's all that counts

But I think if you tried a better phono stage your ears would thank you. Even my ancient and much drums can hear the difference between the built in phono stage in my Yamaha AS 500 (which isnt bad) and the offboard Musical Fidelity stage I've used for the last 15 years....

You reckon it'll make that much of a difference yeah?

I have to upgrade my amp and speakers anyway as what I have now is being repossessed by its owner. The bastard.

Saying that, you can get those speakers for £100 these days. That is a bargain

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/32248964/698684436/Wharfedale-Diamond-9-1-Speakers/ListingDetails.html?_$ja=tsid%3a11518|cat%3a32248964|prd%3a32248964

They are bi-wireable too if that makes any difference

Not bad. Could probably push it to £250.

Not bad. Could probably push it to £250.

the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s are very very good speakers and a bargain because they're a couple of years old. I got a pair for less than 80 quid from Superfi because they were unboxed. And bi-wiring makes a real difference to the sound quality.

For an amp, I'd agree that you really should be looking at Cambridge Audio if you can only spend <£200. The Topaz AM10 isn't bad for the price

My turntable has arrived... but no pre-amp yet :(

I set it up anyway and played it through the line-in on my stereo, just to make sure it worked :) Obviously it sounds a bit shit without the pre-amp though.

I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing when setting the arm weight. The see-saw thing has a hole in it like its supposed to be attached the spindle, but if you do that it doesn't see-saw. So I just placed it on the platter next to the spindle and set the weight until it was level. Is this the right way to do it? The instructions are quite confusing.

Me and the misses bought these on the weekend, can't wait to give them a spin!

With The Beatles

A Hard Day's Night

London Calling

De Stijl

Best Of The Carpenters (50p! - The box is knackered but the record looked ok)

I have Beyond by Dinosaur Jr that I bought a few weeks ago too.