2013 Lineup

Guest Dukeeyyy

Im not gonna write an essay, but I think that illegal downloading has changed the way the music industry works, though not necessarily for better or worse. Because of it's ease and the fact it's free, distributors have had to come up with better services if they wish to compete, and it also means it's far easier to discover new music and bands, which is why I don't think as many bands are getting huge these days, but thats another issue.

Though I don't like the though that the artists get nothing for writing the music, I feel more like its the industry and distributors that are suffering. I don't think it's the big drain on artists that it's made out to be. And how many artist's could put out their music for free realistically, even if they wanted to? They have contract with labels which means they can't.

Btw I've never illegally downloaded any music in my life, buy a CD from Record Collector in Sheffield most weeks, and just generally prefer CDs. I think it's just a change, and services like amazon are more to blame for the decline in record shops.

• Replies 28.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thetime

• mrtourette

• Mouseboy11

• the wonderwhy

Hey that's great, you're obviously the true spirit of rock n roll, however I think you're being a little unrealistic if you're expecting the majority of a 80,000 crowd to be as happy in those conditions (and Download was a lot worse than Leeds last year) as they would be in the sunshine. Over the course of a weekend rather than just watching one band it would take it's toll.

I agree that Amazon is probably impacting record shops themselves more though, but I think it's hitting the bigger ones (HMV, Virgin/Zavvi, etc.) more than the indie ones.

Edited by Vacant0

HMV seemingly refuses to do anything about it. It'll be a bit sad to lose it (and obviously very unfair to the staff) but it pretty much deserves to go bust.

The internet has changed the music industry and there's no going back. £5 a month for Spotify, the occasional illegal download and the occasional cheap CD does me fine.

Yeah I've noticed this, their music selection is terrible. It's like they've given up on people who like to browse for music in shops and just assumed they'll all go online and know what they want to search for.

I can only assume that retail trends suggested that the majority of their shop sales came from DVDs and games so they made the choice to try and maximise this by downsizing their music section.

Pretty sad but desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.

Edited by mrtourette

Would have given anything to be at download, but watching the crowd on some videos on YouTube, it looked kinda stale. Chase and Status were the biggest shock- They are incredible live I've seen em twice, the crowd was small and lifeless. I don't know whether people boycotted them because of how high they were placed or what have you. Heard the same about Refused too...

I remember this wonderful independent shop by me when I was 15/16 and would spend hours in there and a great owner who actually knew his stuff.

They also sold gig tickets with cards in the Windows which included travel aswel.

Memories memories...