Hyde Park 2012

Guest Kierkegaard

I couldn't afford ATDI tickets either. Shame really.

I got Mark Lanegan tickets for Edinburgh as well, through the HMV reward points. Heard so much good stuff about him thought I would make an efford and go see him.

What should I listen to first? :lol:

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argh. Just spotted this. Haven't listened to the new album yet and was hoping to have at least a few tracks I'd heard. Oh well, they're a great live band, so it'll still be good. I know it's unlikely, but I'm hoping they one day do a 'Don't Look Back' gig for De-Loused. Only seen them properly from the FTM tour.

Regarding ATDI, how much were tickets?

Edited by edfirth

Just got back from Soundgarden. Great great set that more than made up for the somewhat disappointing Download gig. Mars Volta were on form also.

A small warning though for people heading to see The Boss and Paul Simon over the next couple of days:

Mud generally wasn't too bad... Wellies weren't necessary (but it certainly wasn't great for those in their fancy shoes). Lots and lots of woodchip which was certainly did its job. However, with a bigger crowd over the next two days (today seemed ~half-to-three-quarters full at most) or with more rain it may well get pretty bad. The second stage didn't seem to have woodchip though, and was pretty muddy.

Also, getting in was a real pain, kinda like airport security to be honest. Although it seemed to differ from queue to queue (some security people seemed lazier than others) our queue was opening and properly rummaging through every bag, and patting down everyone. It took around half an hour to get in (missed the start of Iggy) so don't get to Hyde Park minutes before the act you want to see! It might also be more difficult to bring in drinks/whatever than most gigs.

Just got back from Soundgarden. Great great set that more than made up for the somewhat disappointing Download gig. Mars Volta were on form also.

A small warning though for people heading to see The Boss and Paul Simon over the next couple of days:

Mud generally wasn't too bad... Wellies weren't necessary (but it certainly wasn't great for those in their fancy shoes). Lots and lots of woodchip which was certainly did its job. However, with a bigger crowd over the next two days (today seemed ~half-to-three-quarters full at most) or with more rain it may well get pretty bad. The second stage didn't seem to have woodchip though, and was pretty muddy.

Also, getting in was a real pain, kinda like airport security to be honest. Although it seemed to differ from queue to queue (some security people seemed lazier than others) our queue was opening and properly rummaging through every bag, and patting down everyone. It took around half an hour to get in (missed the start of Iggy) so don't get to Hyde Park minutes before the act you want to see! It might also be more difficult to bring in drinks/whatever than most gigs.

Soundgarden were fantastic, and seemed much more into it than complaints I've read about other festivals. Really good setlist as well.

Black Stone Cherry were entertaining and Skindred put on a good show, a great crowd for them.

Edited by mrtourette

Well just back from the Springsteen gig. First the positives, John Fogerty was ace, great hair too. And The Boss was on top form, opening with Thunder Road, great tracks off the new album, Empty Sky, The Ghost of Tom Joad, and a run of Born In The USA, Born To Run, Glory Days, Dancing In The Dark. And finally Sir Macca joins him for the finale. Amazing gig.

But that leads me onto why I'm never going back to Hard Rock Calling again. The sound was too quiet from start to finish, I know about the limits but it's just not good enough any more. Then there's the huge 'play pen' in the middle which means there are now two mixing desks, and much less room in the middle to see.

Finally, how on earth can you fade the sound on Springsteen and McCartney doing a jam!!!!!!! And to cut the mic totally when Bruce was trying to wrap it up. Honestly, what a total mess.

Really sad it ended like that as I've been for four years now and it's been getting worse, this was the nadir.

Was a disgrace. Irony was, they were running late from very early on on the main stage, and if they'd of shortened a couple of the other sets or got their arses into gear a bit more, he wouldn't have gone on 30 mins late, and finished well within curfew. That said, was a great set, and Macca was a welcome surprise, even some petty bureaucracy couldn't ruin that, just a pity it'll be remembered for the wrong reasons now.

Hyde Park, not just Hard Rock Calling, has always had tight restrictions on volume and finish times. You should expect it when you go there.

Maybe other organisers may not have been quite so keen to shut it down and accept a fine/difficulty with future license applications but the low volume is always the same.

If the lateness was due to others running late then yeah that's poor management.

Edited by mrtourette

Got back home this evening from the Friday and Saturday at HRC.

I have to agree about the volume level being an absolute joke. The first five songs of Soundgarden didn't sound right at all at that volume, and you couldn't hear what Bruce Springsteen was saying to the crowd inbetween songs due to people talking around you.

If volume is such an issue, is there not another suitable location to host the event(s) in the London area?

However, I really enjoyed Iggy and Soundgarden, but John Fogerty and The Boss were simply stunning.

I've heard a few people say LoveBox (Victoria Park?) gets decent sound levels but SW4 in Clapham Common is dire. Why such a difference?

I thought Jay-Z was fine at Hyde Park a couple of years ago, decent bass & levels. Do wonder how much is subjective or down to age & hearing conditions! I find Bestival main stage really loud but people have given that a bashing too.

I dunno what the Saturday was like as I could only afford the Friday. But I thought it was all really good on the whole, sound on mainstage I didn't find too bad at all though the sound in the Pepsi Max tent was pretty awful. The weather stayed reasonable for the majority of the day and the organisers did a good job of keeping the ground in good shape. Despite the thin crowd Kids In Glass Houses sounded ok and were enjoyable to watch. Black Stone Cherry put on a surprisingly awesome set, I don't like them on CD much but they absolutely nailed it and got the crowd going for the first time of day. Skindred were typical Skindred, Amazing! The Mars Volta were the only band who I thought were a bit ropey but that could well of been sound issues. And Soundgarden managed to easily surpass my expectations, they sounded good, Chris was really into it, the crowd were singing along to nearly every song and they played an awesome setlist! And to cap it off they've finally dropped that rubbish song from The Avengers from the set ;) I had a great time and would be more then happy to return in the future!

Went yesterday. Stood directly in middle of the arena for Paul Simon - sound quality was excellent, nice and loud as well. Went for a beer later on and stood on the side of the arena and sound was appalling. Perhaps they've tailored the sound system so there's minimal leakage to the residential properties along Park Lane? Terrible if you can't get a decent spot - but if you do get a place in the middle then sound was terrific.

Went Saturday (Bruce night ). First time in Hyde Park and it reminded me of the Isle of Wight Festival arena - long and flat with loads of relay speakers and video sreens at random angles.

Sound was alright where I was, about twenty rows back on the left had side of the stage, but could imagine it could be terrible elsewhere.

First time I had seen Bruce since 1985 and it was only the release of Wrecking Ball earlier this year which tempted me back.

Was not dissapointed a great show with loads of sing along hits, plenty from the new album, intimate versions of songs like Thunder Road and The River, some maniac guitar from Tom Morello, all of the band having their moments in the spotlight, truck loads of audience interaction and of course the big Macca suprise at the end.

Regarding the fade out, the main problem to me seemed to be that they got behind themselves eralier in the day and Bruce came on about twenty minutes later than advertised, so was always going to struggle to finish.

Finally I had totaly forgotten (or maybe never knew) that Rocking all over the World was a John Fogerty song and not a Status Quo original!

Edited by tjamest

The reported capacity of Hyde Park in its current configuration is 80,000.

Various on configuration of course, but Wembley can hold up to 90,000, Twickenham 80,000 (albeit with a limit of 3 concerts per year I believe), the Emirates 60,000. I've been to concerts at all of those, and had no problems with the sound levels.

Alternatively, given that the facilities at Hyde Park are entirely temporary, it should be possible to create a comparable set-up elsewhere given enough space. Just as long as the council allows more than the reported shockingly low 75dB limit at Hyde Park.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

It's worth re-iterating just how amazing The Boss was.

In 25-odd years of gig-going that was one of the most amazing performances I've ever seen.

I feel for the folk who were too far back to hear, but those who put the hours in and got themselves a decent spot won't have much to complain about at all.

Even suffering through Lady Antebellum wasn't too much of a chore.

Properly jawdropping stuff.