First Glastonbury in 10 years - what's new?!

prestonmanc

On 4/24/2024 at 5:46 PM, Nuthugger said:

no mexican raves now. that used to be so atmospheric on the first night. theyve probably been gone longer than ten yrs tho to be fair

Oh yeah! When I first heard a Mexican Rave I thought something wrong 🤣

3 hours ago, stuie said:

I have never seen portaloos tardis's at Glastonbury inside the fence and I've been going since 2009. 

I think the main reason was A&S police said they wouldn't be able to cover the event.

South Park campsite had them in 2011.

6 hours ago, Simsy said:

I think 1 of the arguments for switching the fallow year from 2011 to 2012 was that the Olympics would need a f**k-ton of portaloos, so they must've still been used at glasto then

From what the festival said, it was "resources" rather than toilets specifically. The reporting expanded on that to focus on portaloos but the shortages would have been so much more than that.

Even today, with them being "officially" removed from site - Glastonbury does still hire in huge numbers of portaloos. They're relied in many staff-only areas and campsites, and are placed at various remote outposts (so for example those stewards/security sat on someones driveway 3 miles from the site will usually have access to one). Even in public areas, there's still plenty in use albeit as far as I know all outside the fence - certainly there's been loads of them just outside Gate A in recent years.

Edited by incident
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stuie said:

I have never seen portaloos tardis's at Glastonbury inside the fence and I've been going since 2009. 

definitely by oxylers in 2011 still as ironically i seen matt smith walking past as i came out of said tardis (see how i've linked this) at about 7 in the morning one day

15 minutes ago, eddie_corrigan said:

definitely by oxylers in 2011 still as ironically i seen matt smith walking past as i came out of said tardis (see how i've linked this) at about 7 in the morning one day

SEC still had them in 2015

I think that's the last time I saw any on site.

3 hours ago, Nuthugger said:

so is that what you call it. mexican rave. not mexican wave??

😂😂 maybe we could try and get it going again this year?

16 minutes ago, CanWeRest said:

Mexican Rave. Mexican Wave is:

spacer.png

Mexican cheer? 

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Best time would be up at the hill on the wed 

I’ve only seen (heard) it when we used to camp on Pennards Hill and it seemed to start around the hill, maybe South Park/Dairy and move off toward Oxlyers and along Pylon. 

I agree… up the hill you could get enough people to start cheering and hope it spreads.  Ask people to start cheering and tell the people next to them.  

1 minute ago, Olshansky said:

wait - is this genuinely called a Mexican Wave in the UK or are you just taking the piss?  In the states we just call this The Wave 🤣

I believe that part of it comes from the World Cup in 1986, which was in Mexico. I think it might have been the first time a UK audience would have seen it. Hence we coined the term "Mexican Wave"

• Like 1

They changed the walk-in to The Park from those lovely wooden flowers and ribbons, to some futuristic looking sticks. I don't know why, but this change really annoys me when I can let (almost**) everything else go and embrace it. 

(The other exception of course being the change of Pylon/Rivermead to crew camping. Which I am still absolutely livid about)

2 minutes ago, Sasperella2 said:

(The other exception of course being the change of Pylon/Rivermead to crew camping. Which I am still absolutely livid about)

It might take a while, I’m still not over them making Dragon Field crew camping. 

2 minutes ago, Simon247 said:

It might take a while, I’m still not over them making Dragon Field crew camping. 

It just makes makes no sense! It's right by the coach entrance! And instead of entering into a lovely green field slowly filling up with tents, you get shoved down some horrible metal pathway for ages with all of your sh*t!

Awful. 

Edited by Sasperella2

It is weird especially in an age where tents seem to be getting bigger, space is getting harder to find. Coupled with them encouraging people to take public transport defies logic. 

But that has always been the Glastonbury way so that hasn’t changed in ten years. 

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It was tipping rain when we did that rat run last year and it was a real buzz-killer as the mud got churning up very quickly.

Exactly this. A harrowing start to an otherwise lovely weekend!

1 hour ago, Sasperella2 said:

They changed the walk-in to The Park from those lovely wooden flowers and ribbons, to some futuristic looking sticks. I don't know why, but this change really annoys me when I can let (almost**) everything else go and embrace it. 

Congestion bottlenecks . They needed to clear that area as people struggled to get out the park at busy times . The flowers also got snapped off if I recal 

2 hours ago, Sasperella2 said:

They've oversold tickets and theres too many people on site so they need to clear as many obstacles out of the way as possible.

6 hours ago, Nuthugger said:

thank you. glad im not the only one. starting to feel a bit crazy lol

Mexican Rave is definitely a thing, but I can't say you're definitely not crazy. Sorry.

• Thanks 1