Taking a baby

Lucy92

Always seen plenty of people with their (very!) little’uns over the years. I think the thing to consider is: would you be able to access all the bits and bobs you need in order to take care of your child in an way that would make you happy over the five days that you’re there? Everyone’s baby is different and some people wouldn’t dream of taking their baby to Glasto whereas others would. Only thing I would say is a real off putting thing is the weather and being able to keep your baby cool enough in the day if it’s hot but warm enough at night when the temperature drops. Others may have better and more comprehensive insight I’m sure but just wanted to pop in and say that it can definitely be done but it’s a question that requires a personal answer as well as consideration of the practicalities. 

25 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

So, all being well tomorrow we are hoping to be back on the farm! We’re planning to take our 10 month old with us… are we insane? Any tips? 🤪

i've done it with an 10 month old too. was very had work, was a very rainy & muddy year.

get one of those backpack carriers, it gets baby above the crowds where he/she can see. my kid was throwing (shapes) his arms up in the air to the music, was very cute. and could then fall asleep with his head on my shoulder

- get ear defenders 

- get some solar fairylights to put on pushchairs, etc, festival goers don't expect low level obstacles.

- take a tent with a big floor that baby can crawl on.

- use the kidz field its lovely and fantastic.

have a backup plan(granny on standby? maybe).

if your kid hates it, do what's right for your kid

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Neil said:

i've done it with an 10 month old too. was very had work, was a very rainy & muddy year.

get one of those backpack carriers, it gets baby above the crowds where he/she can see. my kid was throwing (shapes) his arms up in the air to the music, was very cute. and could then fall asleep with his head on my shoulder

- get ear defenders 

- get some solar fairylights to put on pushchairs, etc, festival goers don't expect low level obstacles.

- take a tent with a big floor that baby can crawl on.

- use the kidz field its lovely and fantastic.

have a backup plan(granny on standby? maybe).

if your kid hates it, do what's right for your kid

Thankfully nanny/grandad aren’t too far if she really hates it. She’s pretty robust, comes with us everywhere so we think she should be okay, but obviously Glastonbury is a different ball game! 

26 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

Thankfully nanny/grandad aren’t too far if she really hates it. She’s pretty robust, comes with us everywhere so we think she should be okay, but obviously Glastonbury is a different ball game! 

its very do-able but something might catch you out, be prepared to quit if you have to.

get your kid familiar with the music of an act you'll definitely see, they will enjoy bands more if they recognise  what they're hearing (i think they then understand what the whole thing is about).

my ex-neighbour took her two year old foster child that she'd only had for 3 months, i thought that was very brave of her.

- if you think you'll take kid again in the future, remember that you don't have to squeeze everything in this year.

- make sure you do some circus and cabaret as the kid is more likely to enjoy stuff that isn't music.

keep it varied, when kid gets tired give them time to sleep, it'll make your life easier. dealing with a tired kid is the worst thing.

above all, remember to have fun and enjoy it. 🙂 

Edited by Neil
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

its very do-able but something might catch you out, be prepared to quit if you have to.

get your kid familiar with the music of an act you'll definitely see, they will enjoy bands more if they recognise  what they're hearing (i think they then understand what the whole thing is about).

my ex-neighbour took her two year old foster child that she'd only had for 3 months, i thought that was very brave of her.

- if you think you'll take kid again in the future, remember that you don't have to squeeze everything in this year.

- make sure you do some circus and cabaret as the kid is more likely to enjoy stuff that isn't music.

keep it varied, when kid gets tired give them time to sleep, it'll make your life easier. dealing with a tired kid is the worst thing.

above all, remember to have fun and enjoy it. 🙂 

Thanks for the advice 🙂 I’ve done Glastonbury a lot so happy to chill out and lead by their pace. She’s just such a social little thing and I think she’s going to love things like the kids field. She’s seen live music before and loved it and we’ve always got music on so she has no choice but to love the bands we do 🤣

have a read of this, was written by my ex partner, who took my son to many festivals with us(so she had a lot of experience of kids at festivals- the first one we did was glastonbury when he was 10-months).

it didn't mentally scar him he's 27 now and still loves festivals.

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/info/kids.shtml

Just now, Neil said:

have a read of this, was written by my ex partner, who took my son to many festivals with us(so she had a lot of experience of kids at festivals- the first one we did was glastonbury when he was 10-months).

it didn't mentally scar him he's 27 now and still loves festivals.

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/info/kids.shtml

Thanks! Will have a read 

I took my son in 2005 at just under 5 months old. We did have a campervan so it made it significantly easier. The wednesday and thursday were lovely, the weather was dry and the ground was dry and we could just put down a mat and sit on it and chill out. 

Friday morning all hell broke loose on a biblical scale. You may have seen pictures of the tents at the bottom of Pennards. So much rain fell, the site didn't drain so well back in those days. They put straw down to try and soak up the mud, I had a 3 wheeler buggy. The mud and straw clogged the wheels. I ended up carrying the buggy with son in it some times. We bailed on the Sunday afternoon. Wasn't fussed about seeing Basement Jaxx (I think it was). 

Anyway hope you get tickets and hope its dry!

We took ours at 10 months but planned to only bring him to half of it then left and dropped him at his grandparents and had a couple of days to ourselves. It worked well and we were lucky with weather. Def hard work but also lovely having him there. Kids fields were wonderful with a baby there. 

We took our then 8/9 month old it was brilliant. We stayed off site but walking distance to site. The Kidz Field is brilliant and the NCT tent at the top with a relax area is great (they also do baby bath time) we had a bike trailer with a baby insert for ours - but it wasn't a muddy year (2017) 

We watched Foo Fighters from the top of the field with her asleep on a blanket on the floor! Picnic blanket is a must. We had a great time! (and more sleep than usual as went back to tent usually 10ish and she slept much better in the tent that year than home too) 

45 minutes ago, rachmac said:

We took our then 8/9 month old it was brilliant. We stayed off site but walking distance to site. The Kidz Field is brilliant and the NCT tent at the top with a relax area is great (they also do baby bath time) we had a bike trailer with a baby insert for ours - but it wasn't a muddy year (2017) 

We watched Foo Fighters from the top of the field with her asleep on a blanket on the floor! Picnic blanket is a must. We had a great time! (and more sleep than usual as went back to tent usually 10ish and she slept much better in the tent that year than home too) 

Oh, info on the baby insert please!

Considering getting a bike trailer but not sure on the space to lie a toddler down flat for sleeping.

15 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Oh, info on the baby insert please!

Considering getting a bike trailer but not sure on the space to lie a toddler down flat for sleeping.

I can't remember where we got it from now. The trailer was second hand and cheap off ebay/FB somewhere like that but the insert was new and relatively expensive (60-80) but meant she was safe and secure in there (and got so much attention from everyone we past!) - she did sleep in it. Sometimes when we stopped we tilted it back a bit so she was a bit more horizontal, and a few times she napped on the picnic blanket with a blanket over her or in the relax NCT tent in Kidz Field 

The year before I went pregnant (and it was muddy - only time we've ever had to be towed from carpark) and we spent the year assessing best mode of transport for the conditions and the bike trailer was definitely one of the top things for getting through - you definitely don't want a bog standard pushchair. 

No photo description available.

• Upvote 1