Which mobile network?

Franky

4 minutes ago, northernangel said:

So do I, I have 02 purely for gig priory but I can see that not a problem soon and being on the move.

If it helps, you also get access to O2 Priority via Virgin Media Broadband so don't have to use their awful mobile network.

21 hours ago, Franky said:

Which mobile netowrk is it that runs at Glasto?

Is it Vodaphone? I am thinking of switching providers so might as well have a phone that works at Glasto,

Thanks in advance.

I switched from 02 to vodafone for the last festival and have to say I had service for most of the festival. Couldn’t believe it 

Also interested in this, I’m onO2 and not changing as it’s fine in London where I live and so much cheaper than ee which I used to be on (which was undoubtedly better) however whilst I think non existent is an exaggeration my signal was patchy last year especially for data and WhatsApp compared to my friends on Vodaphone and EE

i am going down the e-sim route this year I think but can someone confirm this is the best way to get it to work on an iPhone, which I think it is based on what I’ve read 

1. I contact O2 and ask them to swap me to an esim for my contract- nothing really changes

2. I then buy a Vodaphone pay as you go sim with data I want for the festival and put that in my phone as they don’t seem to do esim for payg

if that is right will my phone ring/received messages from both numbers or will I have to keep switching in the settings. Happy to add my new number to the groups at the festival but don’t want to tell the outside world I have a new number in case someone needs to get in touch 

1 hour ago, Barneym said:

Also interested in this, I’m onO2 and not changing as it’s fine in London where I live and so much cheaper than ee which I used to be on (which was undoubtedly better) however whilst I think non existent is an exaggeration my signal was patchy last year especially for data and WhatsApp compared to my friends on Vodaphone and EE

i am going down the e-sim route this year I think but can someone confirm this is the best way to get it to work on an iPhone, which I think it is based on what I’ve read 

1. I contact O2 and ask them to swap me to an esim for my contract- nothing really changes

2. I then buy a Vodaphone pay as you go sim with data I want for the festival and put that in my phone as they don’t seem to do esim for payg

if that is right will my phone ring/received messages from both numbers or will I have to keep switching in the settings. Happy to add my new number to the groups at the festival but don’t want to tell the outside world I have a new number in case someone needs to get in touch 

You can keep both lines operating but downside is battery drain . Or you can switch and have one or other operating as you choose in settings 

Edited by Crazyfool01

15 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

You can keep both lines operating but downside is battery drain . Or you can switch and have one or other operating as you choose in settings 

Many of us have a battery pack so the use of a second sim wouldn't be a noticeable drain, but  CF has to save all his spare juice for his thirsty hat 😂

23 hours ago, Franky said:

Which mobile netowrk is it that runs at Glasto?

Is it Vodaphone? I am thinking of switching providers so might as well have a phone that works at Glasto,

Thanks in advance.

List of Vodafone piggybacks here, also sim only deals. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobiles/piggybacking/#whichnetworks

There are regularly short term deals for many of them on hotukdeals 

So you could sign up for a cheap lebara deal (still includes the EU roaming and other features), if you only wanted it as a second sim you can pause afterwards, they don't have a limited term.  https://www.hotukdeals.com/share-deal-from-app/4293293

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, northernangel said:

Oh how does this work? Even sitting in my room now the signal is on 1 bar

You just sign in with your Virgin Media account, the option should be on the login page:

image.png.b9242e5721bd288762c407c50bf1481a.png

Full disclosure - I have a first sim, which is Vodafone, work blocked roaming data and knew I wanted that for navigation, bookinga etc on hols so got a cheap lebara, which did the job perfectly for a quid a month as a second sim.   It's since gone up to 5.90 and I should pause, but keep thinking "what if I go away". 

By contrast partner had a Vodafone for between 15 to twenty quid, didn't do masses of calls or data (but valued the spotify), she got a lebara for maybe half /third the price and I put her on my cheapy tidal family sub.  Mobey transfer very quick. 

1 hour ago, incident said:

You just sign in with your Virgin Media account, the option should be on the login page:

image.png.b9242e5721bd288762c407c50bf1481a.png

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Don't most phones do WiFi calling now?  (where you just enable on the phone) 

Cheers guys ill check these out, I'm really not up with it all lol.

55 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Vodafone's been pretty good at Glastonbury for the last few years I reckon, certainly much improved on earlier years.

Disagree with this almost entirely.

It was excellent last year - the only minor issues I noticed were just before Elton started, and that was with 150k+ all crammed into the Pyramid field so forgivable. But prior to that and especially in 2022 I felt that it got worse year on year - which could just be that they made the same provision, but usage increased. I came away from 2022 fully intending to make sure I was on EE the following year, and would have done so if Voda hadn't taken over the contract.

One consideration would be that I didn't have a 5G capable phone in those years so that may make a difference.

Following the discussion ahead of last years festival, I grabbed an international eSIM which can connect to any UK network (in much the same way as when we "roam" abroad), the logic being that it should automatically connect to whichever has the strongest signal, but I could manually change to another if the first was congested. Found this worked well, it usually connected to Vodafone as you'd expect, although I did switch a couple of times when I was struggling to get signal in big crowds.

Since then I've been using a Lyca eSIM permanently alongside my my contract SIM (because O2 signal is awful everywhere!) so a bit torn on whether to revert to the international eSIM this time based on past success, maybe grab a Voda based eSIM, or potentially just leave my contract SIM at home, keep the Lyca eSIM for EE coverage and grab a PAYG Voda SIM so the two main bases are covered. Added advantage with that last option being no chance of accidentally answering a work call whilst "incapacitated". 🤣

O2 is grim only keep it because of my Virgin boosts. When it does work the 5G is great. Swicthed to an esim.

I have a second Vodafone sim that worked better at Glastonbury and when O2 fails (a lot of the time) still haven't found 5g on that though.

If you ever need to get anything out (I post a daily blog) a little walk up to Woodsies and reception is great up there. 

Edited by faymondo

3 hours ago, faymondo said:

If you ever need to get anything out (I post a daily blog) a little walk up to Woodsies and reception is great up there.

the transmitters are just down the hill from there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, incident said:

Disagree with this almost entirely.

It was excellent last year - the only minor issues I noticed were just before Elton started, and that was with 150k+ all crammed into the Pyramid field so forgivable. But prior to that and especially in 2022 I felt that it got worse year on year - which could just be that they made the same provision, but usage increased. I came away from 2022 fully intending to make sure I was on EE the following year, and would have done so if Voda hadn't taken over the contract.

One consideration would be that I didn't have a 5G capable phone in those years so that may make a difference.

Would certainly agree that Vodafone performance was specifically better in 23, as you say for known reasons as they added nine new masts - https://www.vodafone.co.uk/newscentre/press-release/mobile-data-demand-skyrockets-at-glastonbury-2023/

3 hours ago, faymondo said:

I have a second Vodafone sim that worked better at Glastonbury and when O2 fails (a lot of the time) still haven't found 5g on that though.

Are you saying that in 2023 your Vodafone sim didn't pick up a 5g signal on the farm?  As I certainly did and performance was great, with the only exception being such as when incident described, during massive crowds, which I believe is why it's affected. 

9 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Are you saying that in 2023 your Vodafone sim didn't pick up a 5g signal on the farm?  As I certainly did and performance was great, with the only exception being such as when incident described, during massive crowds, which I believe is why it's affected. 

I was on a PAYG sim on the farm last year so only 4g max.

Now have a monthly contract but still to pick up 5G on it anywhere in Liverpool ??

8 hours ago, faymondo said:

I was on a PAYG sim on the farm last year so only 4g max.

Now have a monthly contract but still to pick up 5G on it anywhere in Liverpool ??

The PAYG sim didn't include 5g?  That in itself would have been a great reason to get a lebara on offer for a quid or so per month. 

Dunno if it's changed, this refers to data sims or PAYG plus (which in 5g)?

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/sim-only

I've been to Liverpool recently, lots in the docks, but also in the city up to cathedral, confident I had 5g Voda on at least some of that.  Can you check the phone somehow? 

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Lebara is cheap, works in EU with free roaming and worked perfectly for me the last 2 fests. you'd be mad to go with anyone else

EU and here in India too!