The BBC - supporting live music and other issues

tarw

To try and keep this discussion from permeating other threads. I am happy for all aspects of the BBC to be discussed here, but try to keep it music/ Glastonbury related or it will get moved to shitkicking. 

For me live music gets a hell of a lot of support from the BBC. Not just from the Radio stations doing concerts and live sessions on a regular basis but from BBC introducing both nationally and locally. 

I am quite happy with the way that the BBC is funded and would actually be prepared to pay a bit more. 

What I would want in return for this is less interference from the government of the day. 

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I mean the BBC is high on the list of reasons the festival sells out year after year and is able to donate around 2 million to charity .

not sure the BBC is a big factor in the festival's success.

32 minutes ago, tarw said:

For me live music gets a hell of a lot of support from the BBC. Not just from the Radio stations doing concerts and live sessions on a regular basis but from BBC introducing both nationally and locally. 

I am quite happy with the way that the BBC is funded and would actually be prepared to pay a bit more. 

What I would want in return for this is less interference from the government of the day. 

Yeah I love that I can watch sets from Glastonbury, Reading, Big Weekend, TRNSMT, even Belladrum last year. Not only did the two Scottish ones have highlight shows, they had the full band sets available on iPlayer of a lot of much smaller acts that I like but haven't had chance to see live. There are plenty of acts I've seen live songs or sets from on iplayer that I've then listened to further and bought tickets for or watched at a future festival when i otherwise wouldn't have.

I also like a lot of the piano room sessions etc.

There are obviously political debates and issues, but purely around what I've mentioned above it's doing great for me on the music front.

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

Don’t you think that the festival has been more successful since BBC took over from Channel 4?

I know that there have been other factors in that success, which do you think has been the biggest factor? Purely out of interest rather than disagreeing 

30 minutes ago, paulshane said:

6Music festival is pretty good.

Was.

They turned me off it the moment they decided to take it off the road and just run Manchester every year.

I know it's for budget reasons, but for my taste they totally lost what made it interesting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tarw said:

Don’t you think that the festival has been more successful since BBC took over from Channel 4?

yeah - but success it was already on course for, take away the tv and everything would be much the same.

8 minutes ago, tarw said:

I know that there have been other factors in that success, which do you think has been the biggest factor? Purely out of interest rather than disagreeing 

its future success was cemented long in the past by how its been set-up and run.

26 minutes ago, fakeplastictrees2000 said:

6 music festival is great - although annoying I paid £55 for the smile tickets and then 6 music festival has them playing down the road in Manchester for £20 less

I've got a ticket to see them In Birmingham. I wonder why the 6music festival was so much less - especially as they had the orchestra with them which we won't be getting on the tour dates? BBC subsidised ticket costs?

Channel 4's coverage didn't really register with us. It was BBC radio which got us interested. The BBC build up to the festival is part of the excitement for me. In the years we couldn't get tickets, despite the real pain of missing out, it was still great to see so much on telly. It also gave fellow ticketless efesters something to watch and discuss together. 

6 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

I've got a ticket to see them In Birmingham. I wonder why the 6music festival was so much less - especially as they had the orchestra with them which we won't be getting on the tour dates? BBC subsidised ticket costs?

I didn't even know about the orchestra - extra gutted now. Although Victoria warehouse is probably Manchester's worst venue so happy to pay a premium to watch it in the Apollo.

enjoy Birmingham it will be great!

8 minutes ago, incident said:

Was.

They turned me off it the moment they decided to take it off the road and just run Manchester every year.

I know it's for budget reasons, but for my taste they totally lost what made it interesting.

I think as with many things in the last few years where they've had to swallow massive cost reductions it's them either compromising or killing it and on balance I think they made the right choice.

They give tons of people access to live music at fair prices, can include loads of up and coming artists amongst the well known ones and give themselves loads of great music to stream or bosh on iplayer. 

Not that it wasn't successful anyway, but the instant sell-outs I think are a combination of the massive amount of BBC hype and coverage, along with the move to include more mainstream / pop artists than they did before as festival line-ups have changed and elvoved to reflect tastes. 

Reading for example hasn't been a rock festival for a long time. Big festivals I suppose have less of an edgy feel than they did 30 years ago. 

5 minutes ago, fakeplastictrees2000 said:

I didn't even know about the orchestra - extra gutted now. Although Victoria warehouse is probably Manchester's worst venue so happy to pay a premium to watch it in the Apollo.

enjoy Birmingham it will be great!

You too!

Yeah, I watched the set on Iplayer live on Saturday. The first hour was with a full orchestra and then they left for the rest of the set. They did around another 45 minutes after. 

Edited by Chip Batch
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

I don’t think that the BBC will be subsidising it they will be breaking even. 

For the other shows they will be promoted by someone such as Live Nation who will want to make as much money as possible.  They are taking the risk and want as large a reward as possible..  If they can sell out for £200 a ticket they will price it at that (unless the musicians say no). Likewise if they can make more money selling 3/4 out at £100 than a sell out at £50 they would.

The BBC will want to cover their costs and have a big crowd for the shots. Also the musicians might charge a lesser fee for publicity 

11 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I think as with many things in the last few years where they've had to swallow massive cost reductions it's them either compromising or killing it and on balance I think they made the right choice.

They give tons of people access to live music at fair prices, can include loads of up and coming artists amongst the well known ones and give themselves loads of great music to stream or bosh on iplayer. 

Yeah, I do understand the decision even if I don't like it.

But it also does irritate me a bit that straight after they're (rightly) banging on about IVW and how independent venues are special and need to be supported and saved, a few weeks later they go and host their own events in one of the worst venues in the Live Nation portfolio.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Michael has said that the BBC coverage is one of the reasons why the festival is still going.  Allowing the cameras in showed the world (and Somerset) what's going on inside the fence isn't scary and lawless.  I think that's in the 50 book. 

Aside from that, the TV coverage is one of the main advertising drivers behing such quick sell outs year after year.