Hip-Hop & Grime

Alex DeLarge

According to the West Holts leak we have Danny Brown confirmed for the farm this year. Feels like an interest booking - his album with JPEGMAFIA last year was fantastic.

I can imagine we're going to get:

• J Hus - released an album last year, British, worked with Drake, currently going through a new wave of popularity. Afroswing influenced British hip-hop. 
  • Strandz - playing Parklife, British rapper with a 90s influence, more lyrically focused.
  • Loyle Carner - 6music staple, played the farm loads, on tour in early July.
  • Unknown T /D-Block Europe - fairly generic UK drill which I don't have much time for but would make sense looking at dates.

I really, really am hoping for CASISDEAD - he released my album of last year. He's influenced by synth-wave and cyberpunk and the album is a loose concept based on a dystopian London. He's worked with Desire, Kyle Dixon of Stranger Things and Neil Tennant to get a darker, 80s sound. He's playing a lot of festivals around the time and it would be cool to see him. Obviously he won a BRIT last night so big things happening for CAS.

Who else do we reckon? Who are you hoping for? 

Edited by Alex DeLarge

6 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

According to the West Holts leak we have Danny Brown confirmed for the farm this year. Feels like an interest booking - his album with JPEGMAFIA last year was fantastic.

I can imagine we're going to get:

• J Hus - released an album last year, British, worked with Drake, currently going through a new wave of popularity. Afroswing influenced British hip-hop. 
  • Strandz - playing Parklife, British rapper with a 90s influence, more lyrically focused.
  • Loyle Carner - 6music staple, played the farm loads, on tour in early July.
  • Unknown T /D-Block Europe - fairly generic UK drill which I don't have much time for but would make sense looking at dates.

I really, really am hoping for CASISDEAD - he released my album of last year. He's influenced by synth-wave and cyberpunk and the album is a loose concept based on a dystopian London. He's worked with Desire, Kyle Dixon of Stranger Things and Neil Tennant to get a darker, 80s sound. He's playing a lot of festivals around the time and it would be cool to see him. Obviously he won a BRIT last night so big things happening for CAS.

Who else do we reckon? Who are you hoping for? 

Do you really think Loyle will be back? He headlined West Holts only last year and hasn’t released any new material since. I’d be surprised but happy to see him. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Do you really think Loyle will be back? He headlined West Holts only last year and hasn’t released any new material since. I’d be surprised but happy to see him. 

I forgot about this gp, you're right. Hugo was a big step up for him artistically IMO - I wouldn't be surprised if he just goes to Glastonbury as a punter. 

13 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I forgot about this gp, you're right. Hugo was a big step up for him artistically IMO - I wouldn't be surprised if he just goes to Glastonbury as a punter. 

Yep he did the secret set the year before so can’t see him doing 3 on the bounce. 

After a year off I do wonder if Little Simz could be back with the new EP out. Would love to hear Mood Swings going off live. 

Ghetts has just released a new album so he has to be a possibility. 

Nines is headlining Project 6 and did make the Glasto poster a few years back (2017). Since then he's gone on to be recognised as one of the UKs best. It'd be great to see him back (especially for me, as I missed him last time).

J Hus has to be the biggest UK rapper to have never played, so yeah, would be great to get that booked in too.

DBE would be fun, can't see them getting a mega crowd at Glasto

Edited by Nduja

As someone whose preferences lean more towards the golden age, I'd love any of KRS, Rakim, E-40, Cypress, Method Man (if not WTC). All highly unlikely. 

From recent times, as much as I'd love Run The Jewels, that ain't happening, so gimme Killer Mike. Again though, I think that's doubtful, given he's got shows just after, and the ideal stage we already know the full list. I can definitely see CASISDEAD somewhere on the bill.

Like metal, I still think that hip-hop is criminally underrepresented at Glastonbury. 

Every year I hope for Kano but I know he said recently he's been turning down shows because he doesn't have any new material to play so that seems unlikely again unfortunately.

As others have mentioned, would be great to see Cas, Ghetts, Hus and Little Simz and after another big year for him, Potter Payper.

Knucks, Unknown T, Lex Amor, Flohio would all be welcome additions. Headie One could put together a very good set nowadays. Berwyn unfortunately probably won't be back until his next record, whenever that's due. 

But realistically it will probably be another disappointing year for the genres - once again badly unrepresented.

3 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Every year I hope for Kano but I know he said recently he's been turning down shows because he doesn't have any new material to play so that seems unlikely again unfortunately.

As others have mentioned, would be great to see Cas, Ghetts, Hus and Little Simz and after another big year for him, Potter Payper.

Knucks, Unknown T, Lex Amor, Flohio would all be welcome additions. Headie One could put together a very good set nowadays. Berwyn unfortunately probably won't be back until his next record, whenever that's due. 

But realistically it will probably be another disappointing year for the genres - once again badly unrepresented.

I don't think Kano's 2016 Sonic show or 2017 Park show could be topped.

But I think he'd get a huge placement if he played again on account of his Top Boy success as well as his live reputation.

Hip Hop is 100% terribly represented at Glasto, over the 7 or so years I've been going, there can't have been more than a handful of american rappers booked. And half of the ones that were booked were legacy acts. It's almost easier to top the Pyramid than get mid-afternoon on the other which is crazy really.

Mavi at Outbreak the same weekend would have me very excited if he's announced, JPEGMAFIA likewise to a lesser extent. But Earl Sweatshirt aside Glasto largely ignored the Outbreak line up last year so not getting my hopes up.

55 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Mavi at Outbreak the same weekend would have me very excited if he's announced, JPEGMAFIA likewise to a lesser extent. But Earl Sweatshirt aside Glasto largely ignored the Outbreak line up last year so not getting my hopes up.

I’m gutted Outbreak is the same weekend as Glasto, right on my doorstep as well. 

I think the festival has a bit of tunnel-vision when it comes to hip-hop. Someone like Kendrick is obviously extremely popular, but he's also acclaimed in the music press, played on 6Music, etc.

They'd never book someone like J Cole, or 21 Savage. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

I’m gutted Outbreak is the same weekend as Glasto, right on my doorstep as well. 

Same, have Manchester friends who go every year. Wouldn’t choose it over Glasto but would deffo choose it with Glasto given the option. 

Edited by 1986
I have Manchester friends, not fans 😁
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, turkey twizzler said:

Anyone considered the possibility of Nicki Minaj yet? Touring Europe with a GSH. Headlining Wireless but as far as I'm aware not an exclusive? Also shout out to her team for thinking Portugal is in the UK.

image.png.e7fad445b5c60b93ba3826dec8b9a98f.png

I'd love that. Pretty sure I've never seen her live before.

I can't suss out if she's still stage-headliner level, or if she's been eclipsed.

Northern Irish trio KNEECAP have been getting plenty of airplay on 6 and their last two singles have been bangers, so that feels like a no brainer to me.

Also Noname was part of the West Holts leaks, which will be fun since she's shared how much she hates playing shows to white people. 

On 3/7/2024 at 3:17 PM, OffshoreToon said:

Northern Irish trio KNEECAP have been getting plenty of airplay on 6 and their last two singles have been bangers, so that feels like a no brainer to me.

Also Noname was part of the West Holts leaks, which will be fun since she's shared how much she hates playing shows to white people. 

Relatively unknown artist getting massive airtime on 6? Best indicator there is.