UK Politics

kalifire

8 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

If I were to put my cynical hat on I would say that pensions and how they are protected are simply because of the weight of voters it attracts rather than caring or wanting to do good for people - but of course no government or wanna be government would ever have policy based on holding onto part of the electorate now would they!!

If the youth started to vote regularly I wonder how many policies would appear aimed at looking after them more.

Politics, cynical, all about getting re-elected rather than the common good!?!?

Never

decent pensions, via the triple lock came in after decades of sh*t pensions, and bad pensioner poverty, it wasn't about buying votes it was about fixing pensions for the common good.

youth would have to care about something to get interested in caring about anything!

7 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

I didn't actually post that.

checking back i can see you didn't, only way i can think it happened is by some moderator interference(as it was a mod whose words i'd quoted).

5 hours ago, LJS said:

Some may be surprised to learn that i  agree with you on this - there is of course a dispute over whether ScotGov is giving councils enough money to cover the freeze  - councils were always going to say its not enough.

But even if it is enough, it is not the best way to achieve the aim of supporting " people struggling with the effects of high inflation" which is the claimed purpose behind it.

the SG have been robbing councils to spunk money on indie bribes.

5 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Another massive Labour swing incoming. Probs a good result for Reform too. 

This is ridiculous now, just call a general election and let Labour win instead of dragging it on till october

what there won't be (same as elsewhere). is a sizable swing to green.

5 hours ago, SalviaPlath said:

I'm concerned about Wes Streeting. Over the last few days he's been saying sensible things (citizens assemblies are good and Israel has gone too far in killing civilians) and appearing vaguely likeable. This is very out of character.

has wes left school and started shaving yet?

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

has wes left school and started shaving yet?

He is 41 years old.  Why should all our MP's be old rich bastards? 

4 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

It's also circular. The youth don't vote because even when they do it's just politicians shitting on them. If no party is actually speaking for you, and respecting you, why would you go out of your way to endorse them?

the youth don't vote cos they don't care about anything.

22 minutes ago, Neil said:

decent pensions, via the triple lock came in after decades of sh*t pensions, and bad pensioner poverty, it wasn't about buying votes it was about fixing pensions for the common good.

youth would have to care about something to get interested in caring about anything!

Maybe you need to get out there and mix with the youth and you would soon see that most care lots about lots.............. or maybe that is just the many hundreds that I have known and mixed with over the years and you just see those who are bored with no life and make sweeping presumptions? Who knows.

3 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Pensioner poverty was high in like the 80s and dropped substantially before the triple lock was introduced

the resuklt of a labour gov t.if there'd been no triple lock would you now be asking for those labour improvements to be removed??

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Maybe you need to get out there and mix with the youth and you would soon see that most care lots about lots.............. or maybe that is just the many hundreds that I have known and mixed with over the years and you just see those who are bored with no life and make sweeping presumptions? Who knows.

they care about lots about them, very often  don't care enough about thing to do the legwork.

get back to me when they care enough to stop flying, someone (including himself as a youth - lying to himself, i reckon) here only yesterday was celebrating the youth doing their own bit to destroy the planet as a good thing about his life

22 minutes ago, Neil said:

they care about lots about them, very often  don't care enough about thing to do the legwork.

Come on you don't really believe that codswallop, you're just being provocative. 

You know as well as any of us there have always been active sections of young folks - campaigning about green issues, nuclear power, peace, women's issues, racism, etc

But many folks have become disenchanted by FPTP and not feeling their vote made a difference or their representatives cared about the same issues as them. 

44 minutes ago, Neil said:

get back to me when they care enough to stop flying, someone (including himself as a youth - lying to himself, i reckon) here only yesterday was celebrating the youth doing their own bit to destroy the planet as a good thing about his life

You don't fly, we get that....... but you forget that flying accounts for slightly less than 2.5% of CO2 whereas beef production accounts for almost 20% yet you never mention that.

Most young people don't fly anyway - cos they cannot afford it but don't let that stop you having a pop at an entire generation with sweeping statements of 'fact'.

Did you get out in Bristol before the pandemic when the youth were on 'school strikes' and had a big march and gathering? They seemed very interested in changing things and certainly cared a lot.................... or are you one of those who moaned that they trampled the grass (which grew back)?

56 minutes ago, Neil said:

You're a vegan presumably Neil? You've never flown either? Oh and you defo did not want to spend your summer on a fictional mega yacht? Right? Oh wait...

I'll keep living my life, you keep being bitter 🙂

Also no idea what you mean about lying to myself lol