UK Politics

kalifire

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

i'm not the one who has posted about flying boats.

someone who got glasto and actually wanted green solutions wouldn't be having a go at someone for their own self-chosen green action. should instead try thinking about how methane is made from vegetable matter.

Never mentioned ‘flying boats’ ever. And it’s the other way round, you giving people sh*t for flying, after you’ve seen the light… and the world.

Our turn now.

You stay and home eating your beef and preaching.  

8 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah that seems to be the case, I think millennials are the first generation that are not getting more right wing as they grow older and that’s continuing into gen z too. Potentially the Tories have a big issue on their hands.

bit early for gen z maybe...but yes that has been seen with millenials...maybe something to do with living with parents longer, not being able to buy own home, delaying having kids etc

7 hours ago, stuie said:

Never mentioned ‘flying boats’ ever. And it’s the other way round, you giving people sh*t for flying, after you’ve seen the light… and the world.

Our turn now.

You stay and home eating your beef and preaching.  

In a way this is it to a certain extent with climate change...to a certain extent it is previous generations' fault (although tbf they didn't know the damage that was being done), and it is current or future generations that have to make the sacrifices to counter it..and that's kind of tough sh*t....although saying that there's loads more flights now and it's a lot cheaper so there you go, fly away.

14 hours ago, steviewevie said:

but what is that per head?

Nobody will have that information as it is nigh on impossible to collect for all sectors - and is it really relevant?

If 2.5% is dire and awful then those finding that really ought to be concentrating on parts that are much higher don';t you think?

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Nobody will have that information as it is nigh on impossible to collect for all sectors - and is it really relevant?

If 2.5% is dire and awful then those finding that really ought to be concentrating on parts that are much higher don';t you think?

I expect if per head would be right up there, it is only rich scum that are flying.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I expect if per head would be right up there, it is only rich scum that are flying.

I hope this is just you being daft - cos it is so not true.

If you take those who eat meat and numbers who fly each year to use (rough numbers for both can be found) meat eating is far far worse than flying.

Flying has always been singled out and I really have no idea why as even making clothes is far worse

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I hope this is just you being daft - cos it is so not true.

If you take those who eat meat and numbers who fly each year to use (rough numbers for both can be found) meat eating is far far worse than flying.

Flying has always been singled out and I really have no idea why as even making clothes is far worse

Of course it's true. If everyone flew we'd be f**ked, fortunately most people are too poor.

40 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Of course it's true. If everyone flew we'd be f**ked, fortunately most people are too poor.

So a family who save up all year for their 2 week holiday in Ibiza are 'rich scum' then!!

What a very weird way of thinking. 

Sweeping statements never show the reality - they simply show the lack of understanding of the bigger picture.

Have a look at the textile industry - we all wear clothes don't we!! Even if only 10% of the world fly it is still worse than flying.

Edited by kaosmark2
direction provocation and subtweeting

23 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

So a family who save up all year for their 2 week holiday in Ibiza are 'rich scum' then!!

What a very weird way of thinking. The sort of thing former owners of festival sites might come up with to justify their strange opinions!!!

Sweeping statements never show the reality - they simply show the lack of understanding of the bigger picture.

Have a look at the textile industry - we all wear clothes don't we!! Even if only 10% of the world fly it is still worse than flying.

You're thinking UK centric. Just from a quick google around 80% of people have never flown. 

Obv by developed country standards you don't need to be rich to fly though, you can get flights for 50 quid or whatever

Gatwick Airport is basically full of rich scum all getting their Easyjet flights.  It's just like shopping at Harrods, hard to tell the difference really. 

30 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

You're thinking UK centric. Just from a quick google around 80% of people have never flown. 

Obv by developed country standards you don't need to be rich to fly though, you can get flights for 50 quid or whatever

I refer you to the last sentence in the post you replied to where I used a figure of 90% did not fly

""Have a look at the textile industry - we all wear clothes don't we!! Even if only 10% of the world fly it is still worse than flying.""

So I suggest we all look at the parts that are far worse than flying and nit just pick on one small part - and that small part is bad enough but thankfully big changes 'should' be in place within 10 years. Singapore has already begun a change from 2026.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Gatwick Airport is basically full of rich scum all getting their Easyjet flights.  It's just like shopping at Harrods, hard to tell the difference really. 

The distinction is between relative and absolute wealth. By worldwide standards anyone who can fly is pretty well off. Obviously your average person on a ryanair flight isn't rich by UK standards.

• Upvote 1

Yes and alot of the other stuff on list is essential even for poor people.

For example encouraging someone like Neil who is trying to build his body back up after a stroke to cut back on protein is terrible advice.

2 minutes ago, lost said:

Yes and alot of the other stuff on list is essential even for poor people.

For example encouraging someone like Neil who is trying to build his body back up after a stroke to cut back on protein is terrible advice.

Not sure anyone is encouraging it