2024 New Music

Quark

23 minutes ago, uscore said:

I think that's only partly true.

an average band can be pushed further than they arguably deserve.  Repeated airplay gets songs into people's heads.  

It's not a simple meritocracy.  Sometimes a band will get lucky because they have a single at the right time, or is on an advert, or has a link to another famous person or act,  or is pushed harder by a record label that likes them.

A band has to have a certain level of competence to "do well" as you put it, but there are countless other factors at play too.

You’re stating subjectivity again. 

How do you define if a band is average? Or if they “deserve it”?

Me thinking Coldplay are average and don’t deserve it, doesn’t change the fact lots of people like them and want to hear them. 

Wet Leg and TLDP will only be pushed as long as people like them and want to buy their records.

As soon as that stops they’ll be dumped by their record label.  

42 minutes ago, uscore said:

I think that's only partly true.

an average band can be pushed further than they arguably deserve.  Repeated airplay gets songs into people's heads.  

It's not a simple meritocracy.  Sometimes a band will get lucky because they have a single at the right time, or is on an advert, or has a link to another famous person or act,  or is pushed harder by a record label that likes them.

A band has to have a certain level of competence to "do well" as you put it, but there are countless other factors at play too.

Of course there's loads of factors at play and with every single artist in the world who has made it they undoubtedly have had a couple of being in the right place at the right time moments and those who are talented who haven't made it can have had the opposite problem of just being a bit unlucky like maybe too many of the same type of act as them at the same time.

I still think it's harsh to blame the lucky band or artist who actually manages to get what everyone in that industry is looking for. If anything blame the industry.

It's hard to talk about average or good or bad because there are some artists that are supposedly great that do nothing whatsoever for me. There are small artists that I think are criminally underrated but other people would probably think are not that special. Music is an art not a science. There isn't a definitive metric. That's one of the things that makes it special.

• Upvote 1

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Early Pyramid or mid Other for Party and the lads this year?

I'd say so. They seem to be on a Wet Leg trajectory (including the industry plant crap) so I don't think they'll be on The Park and they've already done Woodsies.

8 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Of course there's loads of factors at play and with every single artist in the world who has made it they undoubtedly have had a couple of being in the right place at the right time moments and those who are talented who haven't made it can have had the opposite problem of just being a bit unlucky like maybe too many of the same type of act as them at the same time.

I still think it's harsh to blame the lucky band or artist who actually manages to get what everyone in that industry is looking for. If anything blame the industry.

It's hard to talk about average or good or bad because there are some artists that are supposedly great that do nothing whatsoever for me. There are small artists that I think are criminally underrated but other people would probably think are not that special. Music is an art not a science. There isn't a definitive metric. That's one of the things that makes it special.

yeah absolutely, I wasn't trying to get into a qualitative debate, or blame acts for being successful.  I like pop music and come from an era where the record labels were far more in charge of what we all listen to than they are these days. 

I just wanted to point out that  it's not a simple as "bands are successful because people want listen to them" because what people what to listen to is massively affected by radio airplay etc.  It's not a simple meritocracy.

10 minutes ago, uscore said:

yeah absolutely, I wasn't trying to get into a qualitative debate, or blame acts for being successful.  I like pop music and come from an era where the record labels were far more in charge of what we all listen to than they are these days. 

I just wanted to point out that  it's not a simple as "bands are successful because people want listen to them" because what people what to listen to is massively affected by radio airplay etc.  It's not a simple meritocracy.

It feels like that is what people are doing though by shouting these accusations at the artist rather than the industry behind it. If I had been lucky enough at my work for someone to decide they thought I was the bees knees and fast track me through my whole career so that I ended up with more than other people who started at the same time I can't say I'd have turned it down, even if I thought it was wrong and that others should get the same treatment as me because life's hard and money matters in a capitalist society. Especially when you are female and you get proportionally less of these chances in the first place.

It's obviously not just as simple as bands are successful because people wants to listen to them because there are more people making music than could ever all end up being rich and famous from it. However no matter what opportunities come your way you'll only benefit from it if you put hard work and what talent you have to the best possible use as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah. Tight 45 mins in them.

Enjoyed the show more than the record. 

I'd agree that they are probably better live than the record show. I thought Abigail had real showmanship live and their live energy doesn't maybe come through as much on record but it's not a bad debut album.

7 hours ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

Oh yeah I think I heard those comments around last summer when they were at BST Hyde Park, supporting Pulp etc. 

Think their rise over the last few months has given the 'industry plant' theory a lot more ammo.

It was their first ever gig being at Hyde Park on the same bill as the Stones that started the discussion. The songs are good though!

4 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

It was their first ever gig being at Hyde Park on the same bill as the Stones that started the discussion.

That's not true though, is it?

37 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

That's not true though, is it?

Should have said ‘major’ gig.

It does feel like a lot of the backlash is misogynistic? Also, lots of stuff must have happened when gigs were paused - labels would have had time to really hone these new acts.