SZA

gherkin8r

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Westlife also interested the UK audience.

so did spice girls and lots of glasto goers here, seem to want spice girls good job emily has a bit of imagination this year.

Edited by Neil

Just now, Neil said:

so did spice girls and lots of glasto goers here, seem to want spice girls good job emily has a bit of imagination this year.

Imagination or desperation?

• Upvote 1

SZA must have an appeal to a section of the glastonbury audience, I was ready to write off seeing any of the Pyramid headliners this year, but now the idea of her headlining has got me more excited for the festival! I've been listening to her all day. Going to make the clashes even more difficult.

Does this seem to be nailed on now or are we all, in true efest spirit, acting like it is but it's still up in the air? Is this info legit?

1 minute ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Desperation would be booking a cheap, Glasto friendly indie band like Foals.

I don't think that would happen tho. I'm cool with her booking but her appeal is niche af.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think she'll surprise folk with hew drawing power. Wide consensus of folk on here thought that Adele would walk out to tumbleweeds. 

That was NEVER going to happen. She is hugely popular here. SZA might be and this will undoubtedly help, but right now she is way more niche than Kendrick who drew one of the smallest headline crowds for a while...

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

Cue the 70 million streams in 1...2...

image.jpeg.26d82456988ee50c6c43f4307d9aabc3.jpeg

This year is first occasion I'm seen the streaming stats madness impact Glasters. Thought we were immune, but no.

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

That was NEVER going to happen. She is hugely popular here. SZA might be and this will undoubtedly help, but right now she is way more niche than Kendrick who drew one of the smallest headline crowds for a while...

When you were asked who is playing Glasters and you said "Adele" people didnt scrunch up there noses "Who?"

To suggest otherwise is churlish.

If it's her then in my opinion I'd say she really needs to go Friday night to get the best possible crowd while people are fresh and up for the opening night on the pyramid.

Always liked what I've heard of her somewhat but never really listened in any depth to be honest. Don't think i'd choose her whole set as my headliner. Anyone found any good live footage of her bringing the party, or something really special and moving in terms of vocals and story telling? I'd love to see it...open to changing my mind

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

2 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

If it's her then in my opinion I'd say she really needs to go Friday night to get the best possible crowd while people are fresh and up for the opening night on the pyramid.

Always liked what I've heard of her somewhat but never really listened in any depth to be honest. Don't think i'd choose her whole set as my headliner. Anyone found any good live footage of her bringing the party, or something really special and moving in terms of vocals and story telling? 

I think Other Stage Sunday night or not at all, aka what LDR did. With The National doing Saturday which would be perfect against Dua Lipa.

Potentially C&S, The National, SZA

5 minutes ago, northernangel said:

I think Other Stage Sunday night or not at all, aka what LDR did. With The National doing Saturday which would be perfect against Dua Lipa.

Potentially C&S, The National, SZA

Lana did Saturday tbf. 

12 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Always liked what I've heard of her somewhat but never really listened in any depth to be honest. Don't think i'd choose her whole set as my headliner. Anyone found any good live footage of her bringing the party, or something really special and moving in terms of vocals and story telling? I'd love to see it...open to changing my mind

This live concert is a bit of a vibe, though it is about 7 years old now!

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Kill Bill was one of last years biggest songs. A far bigger hit than any Kenny's ever had.

Yep, but Kendrick has the genius mantle. Pulled in loads of casuals. Just listened to Kill Bill and confirmed I've never heard it and I have Radio 1 on a fair bit.

It's also a bit dull in isolation. Maybe as part of a set it will go well. If she gets the gig, hope she does well, but I can't see it approaching Billie Eilish levels.

Reviews of her most recent UK appearances, sounds like a capital s Show, not sure if she'll be able bring all of it with her but fingers crossed:

https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/music/sza-o2-arena-london-live-gig-review-sos-world-tour-b1088689.html

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jun/14/sza-review-voyage-of-a-lifetime-with-genre-busting-rb-superstar

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's not like she's just popular but doesn't have the goods to back it up. The critical clout is all there too.

https://www.metacritic.com/music/sos/sza/critic-reviews

A calculated gamble perchance. Listen, a stinker is rare on the Pyramid and in one sense it's a good look and maybe people in the US will think it is a good "get", but here, not so much...yet

Crowd will be small.