2025 R&L Festival

Chad888

34 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Just looked up Central Cee after all the talk about him.

Has he peaked where he was at? Was his placing in 2023 actually to high but riding a wave of zeitgeist and he's a cheap booking and the in thing?

I was watching the Gordon Gino Fred do Christmas dinner and it had Professor Green on and it got me thinking, is Central Cee just this generations Professor Green/Chipmunk/Devlin etc. They were charting in a time when you had to physically buy the CD, and YouTube and Spotify listens didn't count.

I see Central Cee appealing to a new generation of chav, and if Pro Green, Devlin, Chipmunk etc got booked as headliner back in 2010, the booking agents would have been shot.

Not even comparable. UK hip hop is a different beast now compared to a decade ago and is infinitely bigger. Central Cee has not peaked yet. 

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Not even comparable. UK hip hop is a different beast now compared to a decade ago and is infinitely bigger. Central Cee has not peaked yet. 

Is it though?

All these UK grime/urban artists are peaking and crashing relatively quickly.

Aitch, Arrdee, Tion Wayne etc were all massive for a week and then others take over. Even Stormzy has dropped off a cliff.

I think time has diminished how absolutely massive Professor Green, Tinie Tempah, Wretch 32, Chipmunk, Example, N Dubz, even Giggs were back in the day.

When we listen back we hear cheesy britpop rap music, a soft female chorus with corny rapping in between (Oopsy Daisy, Read All About It, Don't Go, Written in the Stars, Playing with Fire).

At the time though, they were internationally renowned and I was listening to them across Europe, Australia, America.

7 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Is it though?

All these UK grime/urban artists are peaking and crashing relatively quickly.

Aitch, Arrdee, Tion Wayne etc were all massive for a week and then others take over. Even Stormzy has dropped off a cliff.

I think time has diminished how absolutely massive Professor Green, Tinie Tempah, Wretch 32, Chipmunk, Example, N Dubz, even Giggs were back in the day.

When we listen back we hear cheesy britpop rap music, a soft female chorus with corny rapping in between (Oopsy Daisy, Read All About It, Don't Go, Written in the Stars, Playing with Fire).

At the time though, they were internationally renowned and I was listening to them across Europe, Australia, America.

Prof Green, N-Dubz, Tinie-Tempah, chipmunk etc… (think Giggs might have actually) never played Reading back in the day…

That’s the difference

(And none of them were big in America)

it will be interesting to see the average lifespan of this generation of artists.

The real quality will last. How many will there be before fashion moves on again?

Edited by Benj

4 hours ago, Benj said:

Prof Green, N-Dubz, Tinie-Tempah, chipmunk etc… (think Giggs might have actually) never played Reading back in the day…

That’s the difference

(And none of them were big in America)

it will be interesting to see the average lifespan of this generation of artists.

The real quality will last. How many will there be before fashion moves on again?

It was a different generation though. And Reading was a different beast. Now it's purely zeitgeist popularise year on year. What's big this year is in, and more often than not that ages out most people that haven't turned on Radio 1 in a few months and therefore haven't kept up with the latest wave of artists. And when you look back on a lineup now, those artists have mostly vanished back into the ether.

Those prior named artists made music in 2008/9 for the lads in Lyle and Scott jumpers, Police jeans, school shoes, smoking a rolly on the bus to Spoons before a night out in a pints for a quid club. I remember hanging out down murder mile in Clapton back then and you could really feel the music was made for them kids that didn't have money but just wanted to have fun just like everybody else.

Now the artists make music for the kids on the street in Gucci puffer jackets and YSL jeans, who put on the fakes 'deep' voice to sound more 'gangster', they clearly have money but will stab/shoot you because the music told them they should if you aren't from their postcode. Friend of mine was stabbed and killed just 3 years ago before Christmas because kids come down to rob people outside bars now. Life is just moody now.

But that's all the nihilistic consumerism that is bred in this latest crop of music.

21 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Just looked up Central Cee after all the talk about him.

Has he peaked where he was at? Was his placing in 2023 actually to high but riding a wave of zeitgeist and he's a cheap booking and the in thing?

I was watching the Gordon Gino Fred do Christmas dinner and it had Professor Green on and it got me thinking, is Central Cee just this generations Professor Green/Chipmunk/Devlin etc. They were charting in a time when you had to physically buy the CD, and YouTube and Spotify listens didn't count.

I see Central Cee appealing to a new generation of chav, and if Pro Green, Devlin, Chipmunk etc got booked as headliner back in 2010, the booking agents would have been shot.

Professor Green, Chipmunk and Devlin were nowhere near the size Central Cee is now.

They weren't close to the size of say Dizzee Rascal - who actually did get big slots back then at major fests (subbed a glasto i think)

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

If they had still been going for it, would have suggested RATM as a shout, but... not this time around.

Anyway:

Olivia Rodrigo / SZA

My Chemical Romance / Doja Cat

Foo Fighters / Paramore

Highly doubt there will not be an indie headliner given theres 4 this year and 3 last year

5 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

If they had still been going for it, would have suggested RATM as a shout, but... not this time around.

Anyway:

Olivia Rodrigo / SZA

My Chemical Romance / Doja Cat

Foo Fighters / Paramore

Wouldn't be surprised if it's none of these.

5 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it's none of these.

Speaking of, what are Paramore up to?

There seems to be a lot of conjecture on what them deleting all their social media then re-opening it just to announce they're cancelling an appearance at a multi-act show in LA next weekend all means for them. Especially as just 2 months ago they were saying in an interview that despite now being out of contract with their label, they wanted to continue the band.

MSE: Bring Me The Horizon, Jack Harlow, Sleep Token
MSW: Noah Kahan, Phoebe Bridgers, Muna

MSE: Central Cee, Chase + Status, The Last Dinner Party
MSW: Doja Cat, Beabadoobee, Caroline Polachek

MSE: Green Day, AJ Tracey, Turnstile
MSW: Kasabian, Courteeners, Inhaler

21 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Speaking of, what are Paramore up to?

There seems to be a lot of conjecture on what them deleting all their social media then re-opening it just to announce they're cancelling an appearance at a multi-act show in LA next weekend all means for them. Especially as just 2 months ago they were saying in an interview that despite now being out of contract with their label, they wanted to continue the band.

... Literally the moment I posted this, Variety said that they are not breaking up and that this was something to do with the terms of their split from their old label, and that Paramore still plan to do with their South American shows in spring and supporting Taylor Swift in Europe this summer.

So... maybe they could still be on for R&L '25.

40 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

would be brilliant, the Saturday would be sh*t tho

1 minute ago, RandomEnglishPerson said:

would be brilliant, the Saturday would be sh*t tho

It's a strong undercard imo.

Chase + Status would be a big get in that slot, would be similar if not more relevant to The Prodigy this year.

The Last Dinner Party are on a meteoric rise rn, think their trajectory will be similar to Wet Leg's a couple of years ago only they seem to be a more solid live act.

And Caroline Polachek is one of the most exciting pop artists in the world right now.

15 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Good this. Although I can’t see a world where Sleep Token don’t sub the Main Stage at Download 2025. 

17 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

If Central Cee is MSE, so is Noah Kahan at this stage

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Good this. Although I can’t see a world where Sleep Token don’t sub the Main Stage at Download 2025. 

Could they not do both? Don't really know if that ever happens.

1 hour ago, Benj said:

If Central Cee is MSE, so is Noah Kahan at this stage

Yeah, he might be by then.