2025 R&L Festival

Chad888

4 hours ago, Chad888 said:

To early for it? F**k it. Let's do it anyway.

The Festival Main Stage

Dua Lipa - Olivia Rodrigo - Foo Fighters

The BBC Main Stage

Lewis Capaldi - Queens of the Stone Age - AJ Tracy

can't see them going for Dua Lipa and O-Rod in one year honestly

I know i'm very anti BMTH but getting booked 3 years later so not a huge gap, not being a huge MSE act by any means would they really do very well?

Feel like they should give it a few more years before getting them back unless they get considerably bigger.

30 minutes ago, gfa said:

I know i'm very anti BMTH but getting booked 3 years later so not a huge gap, not being a huge MSE act by any means would they really do very well?

Feel like they should give it a few more years before getting them back unless they get considerably bigger.

I don’t think they’ll be back as soon as 2025 but they will be back and headlining MSE at some point. 

BMTH in 2026, with another crack at Download in 2027.

I assume, given how relentlessly they seem to have toured out of the gate following Covid-19, they'll take 2025 - which may well manifest itself in some kind of solo effort from Sykes, but we'll see.

Honestly, and I have drawn flak for this, but their trajectory might push them into the small bracket of credible "young" British headliners for Glastonbury over the next half-decade. They might ride the trajectory very well, if it keeps up.

8 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Honestly, and I have drawn flak for this, but their trajectory might push them into the small bracket of credible "young" British headliners for Glastonbury over the next half-decade. They might ride the trajectory very well, if it keeps up.

There's so many better choices at present - and no doubt better ones will emerge.

They aren't even top 5 at the moment

44 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I'd be curious who your five are. I've got them fifth behind Dua Lipa, Dave, Sam Fender and The 1975. 

I didn't have an actual 5 just stated it. Them at 5th after those seems fair - they are a significant way behind all of them (3 have done MSE for example and Dua clearly could).

Plus more acts will come along

They will end up the new Foals imo - for glasto at least. they could do MSE eventually maybe

1 hour ago, gfa said:

I didn't have an actual 5 just stated it. Them at 5th after those seems fair - they are a significant way behind all of them (3 have done MSE for example and Dua clearly could).

Plus more acts will come along

They will end up the new Foals imo - for glasto at least. they could do MSE eventually maybe

Ah, fair enough! But yes, I do absolutely concur they are a quite distant fifth behind the rest of the pack. I can definitely see a Foals-style trajectory in the end. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

BMTH won’t ever headline Glasto. There’s no precedent for bands like them doing it. 

There's been no precedent for a lot of headliners over the years, to be fair. 

BMTH are one of those bands that the Festival needs to pump up to headliner, so that we will have established headliners in 10 years that will get the older attendees to keep coming back.

Our generations had Muse, RHCP, Foo Fighters, Eminem, Blink-182, Greenday, Liam Gallagher etc, but they're going to be 70+ soon enough, and long retired/dead.

FR need to push through the next generation of legacy acts now, BMTH, 1975, 21 pilots, Dave, Stormzy, Post Malone, Sam Fender etc will be the next generation

4 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Ah, fair enough! But yes, I do absolutely concur they are a quite distant fifth behind the rest of the pack. I can definitely see a Foals-style trajectory in the end. 

There's been no precedent for a lot of headliners over the years, to be fair. 

I think BMTH are inherently too heavy to headline Glasto. Yes, they’re no longer making Suicide Season and There Is A Hell… sounding material but even their newer stuff is full of breakdowns and extreme vocals. I can’t see a band like that ever headlining Glastonbury. I think they could headline the Other Stage, though. Maybe even as early as 2024. 

They absolutely will headline MSE at R&L though, imo, as well as headlining Download again multiple times. They’re an arena band for the rest of their careers now. They’ve reached that Slipknot level. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see them do their own festival too, something that would go down way better than APE 2019. They’ve reached another level since then. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

BMTH are one of those bands that the Festival needs to pump up to headliner, so that we will have established headliners in 10 years that will get the older attendees to keep coming back.

Our generations had Muse, RHCP, Foo Fighters, Eminem, Blink-182, Greenday, Liam Gallagher etc, but they're going to be 70+ soon enough, and long retired/dead.

FR need to push through the next generation of legacy acts now, BMTH, 1975, 21 pilots, Dave, Stormzy, Post Malone, Sam Fender etc will be the next generation

I agree with what you’re saying for sure. BMTH will become one of those reliable bookings they can have headline every few years. 

I personally can’t see Twenty One Pilots headlining again, not MSE anyway. They were excellent in 2019 but they’ve dropped off a bit since then. That last album went by  pretty undetected compared to Trench, which was massive. 

Edited by Andre91

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I agree with what you’re saying for sure. BMTH will become one of those reliable bookings they can have headline every few years. 

I personally can’t see Twenty One Pilots headlining again, not MSE anyway. They were excellent in 2019 but they’ve dropped off a bit since then. That last album went by  pretty undetected compared to Trench, which was massive. 

Oh absolutely 21P blew their chance, from Stressed Out they had the world at their feet. It was more to note these were the acts that were propped high early on with little to back them, to become the future legacy booking.

Lest we be stuck with Kings of Leon, Kasabian, Fallout Boy, Biffy Clyro for eternity.

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I think BMTH are inherently too heavy to headline Glasto. Yes, they’re no longer making Suicide Season and There Is A Hell… sounding material but even their newer stuff is full of breakdowns and extreme vocals. I can’t see a band like that ever headlining Glastonbury. I think they could headline the Other Stage, though. Maybe even as early as 2024. 

prods in Metallica

But no, I can concur. They've made a very hearty embrace of pop, but it may still prove to be too leftfield for the outright masses.

I did think they would have had a top-ten hit by now though. Am I right in saying Drown is still their highest-charting single?

18 hours ago, Chad888 said:

All of these have headlined, 5/7 on MSE too.

Your basically saying they need to do something they have already done lol

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Guess it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation, but I don't think FR book artists in order to tee up future legacy headliners decades later. That sort of forward planning is unlikely to exist at FR HQ lets be honest. Maybe they should be doing that, if that's what you mean, but I would say they definitely aren't, at least not on purpose.

On 11/21/2023 at 10:30 AM, gfa said:

All of these have headlined, 5/7 on MSE too.

Your basically saying they need to do something they have already done lol

That was the point, I said that FR are pushing through acts to HL now on the back of 1 smash hit, or expected future releases doing well, so that in the future they can do a "these acts headlined before, history with the festival, even bigger now!" like they did with FOB and KoL back in 2018. 

21 Pilots on the back of Stressed Out, and MTS on the back of WAP both doing huge figures, they were expected to only get bigger, and when FR booked them again, they would be legacy headliners and when they announce a MSE of Sam Fender, BMTH, The 1975 nobody will question its strength.

1 minute ago, Chad888 said:

That was the point, I said that FR are pushing through acts to HL now on the back of 1 smash hit, or expected future releases doing well, so that in the future they can do a "these acts headlined before, history with the festival, even bigger now!" like they did with FOB and KoL back in 2018. 

21 Pilots on the back of Stressed Out, and MTS on the back of WAP both doing huge figures, they were expected to only get bigger, and when FR booked them again, they would be legacy headliners and when they announce a MSE of Sam Fender, BMTH, The 1975 nobody will question its strength.

A lot would have to change for this to sell a decent amount of tickets