Changes from 2023>2024

MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

It wasn't a serious suggestion but I would say that having no meat on site doesn't mean that you have bad food choice. 

It being on a dairy farm is no relevance, Shambala is on an estate with a cow herd. 

It would be for me personally . The choice would be reduced . I’ve grown up with a dislike of veggie options sadly , beans , pulses etc . I guess many others could convert and do . 

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

I know you're joking but it's interesting to think whether it would actually stop people attending the event. 

People definitely go for the food and dance music but I think you'd lose more people from stopping dance music then you would if there was no meat available.

It would make me seriously consider whether it was worth going.

What would there be to do after midnight except for listening to annoying "shouty" metal bands

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

It would make me seriously consider whether it was worth going.

What would there be to do after midnight except for listening to annoying "shouty" metal bands

Surely you’ve been enough times to realise that if you don’t like something there’s plenty of other stuff on to entertain ? 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Surely you’ve been enough times to realise that if you don’t like something there’s plenty of other stuff on to entertain ? 

My response was slightly "tongue in cheek", but I would seriously consider not going if all "dance music" was removed.

17 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

It wasn't a serious suggestion but I would say that having no meat on site doesn't mean that you have bad food choice. 

It being on a dairy farm is no relevance, Shambala is on an estate with a cow herd. 

It'd make it overall worse though. There are a lot of veggie options already, you need the same number of food stalls in total, so assuming you're currently taking the best 20% of those who want to trade, with a balance of meat, veggie and vegan - you then have to go further down the list as you lose the top 20% meat offerings and instead have the top 40% veggie/vegan places. 

I was being tongue in cheek but it's the same as if you dropped an entire genre of music. Yeah, you could backfill the dance with "good" indie/rock/guitar bands, but overall quality would drop as you'd be going further down the list.

11 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Having also been to Shambala I think the volume of drinks needed could also be a factor of why it's not been done. The shambala ones weren't branded. 

There's not really a good environmental reason not to do it, the other arguments I've seen put forward seem largely not picking and not an issue for other fests, so I'm not sure why it'd be an issue for Glastonbury. 

I'd like to see them ban all single use beer and coffee cups. I honestly think it'll be something we'd look back on like the ban on water bottles as "why did we ever do that". 

Shambala really brought home just how FILTHY Glastonbury is. 

Just because other places do it doesn't mean it's worth doing for anything beyond the "look at us, we're so green" thing.

The "bring your own container, we'll provide you the facilities to wash it yourself" solution *is* sustainable, scalable, and can work. (Issues with bar capacity/throughput with the big 20-pint pourers aside).

But the "pay a deposit, get a hard plastic glass, we swap it out every time, you take the last one home with you as a souvenir" option is not. Because if everywhere starts doing that, you just fill up people's homes with hard plastic glasses which then end up in landfill as we all start getting ten or twenty of them a year.

It's the scale and long term environmental impact. You make quarter of a million hard plastic Glasto branded cups that get used and swapped out during the festival (if you can sort the washing thing) and then taken home by punters... you're still created quarter of a million hard plastic cups. The vast majority of people are not going to hang onto them their entire lives. They'll eventually get chucked. Yeah, it's no longer the problem of the festival at that point, so it looks good on the festival's green books, but it just kicks the problem down the road. Ultimately, recycling a few million single use cups might be more green than quarter of a million hard plastic ones. I honestly don't know. But it's not as obvious a win as it first looks.

(It's like when phone companies stopped including chargers with their phones for "eco" reasons - while it has made Apple and Samsung's books look far greener, there's mounting evidence that the increased sales in third party chargers and the associated extra environmental costs there have eaten up most real gains)

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But the "pay a deposit, get a hard plastic glass, we swap it out every time, you take the last one home with you as a souvenir" option is not. Because if everywhere starts doing that, you just fill up people's homes with hard plastic glasses which then end up in landfill as we all start getting ten or twenty of them a year

This is not the model Shambala use for exactly this reason. You don't pay a deposit, they charge more for using a cup and you're asked to leave them behind for the festival to sort professionally on Monday. 

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I don’t think there would be if we get rid of all dance music.

Would that include Glade / San Remo / all the SEC / all Silver Hayes / Arcadia

what about main stage acts like Bicep / Chems / Fatboy etc.

Not much left is there. 

Definitely wouldn’t sell out immediately.

(I’m out! 😂)

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

It would be for me personally . The choice would be reduced . I’ve grown up with a dislike of veggie options sadly , beans , pulses etc . I guess many others could convert and do . 

I was like you but it really didn't feel like veggie options tbh. Chips, pasta, pizza, arancini, wraps, chilli, tacos there were loads of options. 

58 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It'd make it overall worse though. There are a lot of veggie options already, you need the same number of food stalls in total, so assuming you're currently taking the best 20% of those who want to trade, with a balance of meat, veggie and vegan - you then have to go further down the list as you lose the top 20% meat offerings and instead have the top 40% veggie/vegan places. 

You're assuming that it would need new stalls, a lot of the stalls from my experience was that they just took two meat options off and replaced them with veggie options. So they brought the same care and quality they were known for to other dishes, that they probably already make! So I don't agree that it would make the festival overall worse.

44 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But the "pay a deposit, get a hard plastic glass, we swap it out every time, you take the last one home with you as a souvenir" option is not. Because if everywhere starts doing that, you just fill up people's homes with hard plastic glasses which then end up in landfill as we all start getting ten or twenty of them a year.

Shambala no longer "brand" their reusable plastic glasses. The reason is that people will be less likely to keep them as a souvenir and will be more likely to return them or just leave them. In theory this means less have to made for the next festival.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

You're assuming that it would need new stalls, a lot of the stalls from my experience was that they just took two meat options off and replaced them with veggie options. So they brought the same care and quality they were known for to other dishes, that they probably already make! So I don't agree that it would make the festival overall worse.

If those options were as good or better than the meat options they'd be doing them to start with.

24 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Shambala no longer "brand" their reusable plastic glasses. The reason is that people will be less likely to keep them as a souvenir and will be more likely to return them or just leave them. In theory this means less have to made for the next festival.

That's a definite step forward. I do worry about how weird people will start to get about obviously previous used plastic glass though. "Why does my glass have bite marks?"  😄

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

That would put me off tbh one thing that’s often mentioned on here is the great choice of food at Glastonbury , it’s also held on a dairy farm … they also might struggle to fill their pitches ? Maybe start with a specific food area that’s veggie / vegan 

Isn't there a strip near Greenpeace thats all vegan? not sure if it officially is but it seemed to all be vegan when i was there this year - not sure if its in greenfields or not?

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

I know you're joking but it's interesting to think whether it would actually stop people attending the event. 

People definitely go for the food and dance music but I think you'd lose more people from stopping dance music then you would if there was no meat available.

see below

36 minutes ago, stuie said:

I don’t think there would be if we get rid of all dance music.

Would that include Glade / San Remo / all the SEC / all Silver Hayes / Arcadia

what about main stage acts like Bicep / Chems / Fatboy etc.

Not much left is there. 

Definitely wouldn’t sell out immediately.

(I’m out! 😂)

It would sell out straight away for 1-2 years due to pent up bucketlister demand then stop selling out i think

would probably put me off

The great thing about the festival is that is caters (sorry...) to everyone, music wise, food wise etc. Nevertheless they do want to for example push some new artists, or a wider range of artists. So maybe some kind of push food wise for stalls to at least offer more vegetarian options. I am sometimes saddened that some meat dishes would work as vegetarian but are not offered (I never dare to ask for it though).

12 minutes ago, gfa said:

Isn't there a strip near Greenpeace thats all vegan? not sure if it officially is but it seemed to all be vegan when i was there this year - not sure if its in greenfields or not?

see below

It would sell out straight away for 1-2 years due to pent up bucketlister demand then stop selling out i think

would probably put me off

8 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

I reckon if they removed all dance music now it would struggle to sell out.

Make the whole fest veggie/vegan and it would still sell out on ticket day imo.

I'm not sure what they would be filling all those fields with if it's not electronic music!

Or indeed why we think dairy farmers would push the vegan lifestyle!

3 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

The majority of Britain still loves to eat is still addicted to meat - when punters have the choice the catering is always going to mirror the demand.

There would be complaints initially but people would soon get used to it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

The majority of Britain still loves to eat meat - when punters have the choice the catering is always going to mirror the demand.

Removing meat from the festival is clearly not going to happen but theres no way it would effect sales

I'm sure some people would complain and some drop out even, but honestly if you (not aimed at you) can't go 5 days without meat thats pretty mad

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

Removing meat from the festival is clearly not going to happen but theres no way it would effect sales

I'm sure some people would complain and some drop out even, but honestly if you (not aimed at you) can't go 5 days without meat thats pretty mad

I agree with this - however if they changed the music composition or the line-up, you'd see more drop-outs in general

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

There wouldn't be a site wide ban on meat, people would still be able to bring their own.

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Of course it would affect sales, and it's not simply about people unable to "go 5 days without meat".

For a lot of people, the food is part of the attraction. If you diminish* the food proposition, you reduce how attractive the festival is.

It's exactly the same as if you stopped selling Lager and only offered Real Ale (or vica versa). People will probably still drink it, but pretty soon some of them are just going to think "nah, I'm not enjoying this enough to pay 350 quid for a ticket and bother with that ticket scrum on a Sunday morning when I can go to Festival XYZ more easily and get what I want for a hundred quid less".

*which is subjective of course

46 minutes ago, gfa said:

I don’t spend masses on food but every meal I have at the festival is meat based … I can go without but that’s actually part of what I enjoy . Purely vegetarian wouldn’t solely be a reason not to attend but a contributing factor