Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

My sister got a spot, she's so happy! Loads of pub management experience which I presume helped (or was it a straight ballot)?? Would have liked to join her but I got an Oxfam place so can't complain. Chuffed we will both be back on the farm in a few months 🥳

46 minutes ago, Tr234 said:

I've been one of the lucky ones chosen by Avalon... does anyone know what the shift patterns are like?

I did oxfam last year so wondering if they are the same

A lot of the bars don’t open until Thursday so the shifts are more weighted towards the main days, but you don’t get a full overnight. Usually a 2-3am finish on the late shift, except Stonebridge which went to 5am when I was there, & no mega early starts either.

Shifts are something like: 11am-7pm, 3pm - 11pm, & 9pm-3am as a rough guide.

You are far more in amongst the festival than the vast majority of Glastonbury Oxfam jobs.

22 hours ago, Tr234 said:

I've been one of the lucky ones chosen by Avalon... does anyone know what the shift patterns are like?

I did oxfam last year so wondering if they are the same

Last year I had Wednesday 12 til 8 and 8 til 3 Friday & Saturday nights

I'm back for more this year!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gowerjack said:

Last year I had Wednesday 12 til 8 and 8 til 3 Friday & Saturday nights

I'm back for more this year!

Did most people have shifts like that?

I'm not too bothered about the headliners but love to do a late night out on the Friday or Saturday night so these shifts seem bad tbh

1 hour ago, thekiwi said:

Did most people have shifts like that?

I'm not too bothered about the headliners but love to do a late night out on the Friday or Saturday night so these shifts seem bad tbh

Yeh I agree those are bad. 

Last year I got Wed 17.30-01.30, Fri 11.00-19.00, Sat 19.00-03.00.

Year before was similar Wed 11.00-19.00, Fri 11.00-19.00, Sat 19.00-03.00

Wednesday shifts are rare as not all the bars open. More likely to get Thurs Fri Sat Sun shifts. 

On 2/21/2024 at 9:19 PM, thekiwi said:

Both my boyfriend and I got a spot on bars!! So excited. Have volunteered with FMS before as a Paramedic so serving pints whilst hungover seems a lot less stressful then saving lives 😂

Hoping we get to choose shift partners.

In awe of the people who do FMS and don't know how you manage to have fun on the off shifts! 

On 2/22/2024 at 11:00 PM, Leyrulion said:

In awe of the people who do FMS and don't know how you manage to have fun on the off shifts! 

On 2/23/2024 at 10:00 PM, RandomBunny said:

FMS staff are angels 👼

Great isn't it. I've amazed people at least a couple of times by pointing out that there is an on site dentist team when they were suffering. Had to use them myself once.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/23/2024 at 12:00 PM, Leyrulion said:

Its definitely difficult & I probably wouldn't do it again unless I was desperate.

Glastonbury should be a time to forget about your actual job.

Shortlisted for Avalon this year!  volunteered with them last year as well and the shifts were great! Does anyone know when the page goes live to be able to pay the deposit as I’ve seen someone say something about the 28th Feb but no links on the shortlist email! 

2 hours ago, thekiwi said:

Its definitely difficult & I probably wouldn't do it again unless I was desperate.

Glastonbury should be a time to forget about your actual job.

My best mate and his daughter are paramedics and both do Glastonbury with FMS - they absolutely love it and are straight in there every year, they wouldn’t even bother trying for tickets these days. 

On 2/21/2024 at 12:33 PM, deadponyclub said:

“Those selected will have until Wednesday the 28th of February to submit an application on our online portal with additional details”

fingers crossed in 7 days the people on the waitlist might get some luck!

Can’t find this info anywhere currently, Do we know when the online portal links will be sent out? 

2 hours ago, D W said:

Can’t find this info anywhere currently, Do we know when the online portal links will be sent out? 

The initial email letting people know the process had Wednesday 28th as the date to submit the application by, but from the shortlist email it looks like the payment mechanism wasn't working when it came to the 21st so its just a case of sitting and waiting. I hope it comes through tomorrow because I keep re-reading the email thinking I've missed something.

1 hour ago, deadponyclub said:

A question for Oxfam volunteer folk. If I tick that I'm available for the pre festival shifts (which I know are rare to actually get!) what is the latest I will have to arrive onsite by?

Shifts are Sunday , Monday and Tuesday. My friends had them last year. They had to arrive on Saturday. Before 5 I think but can’t 100% remember the time but it was definitely the Saturday 

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2024 at 6:13 PM, jfc101 said:

The initial email letting people know the process had Wednesday 28th as the date to submit the application by, but from the shortlist email it looks like the payment mechanism wasn't working when it came to the 21st so its just a case of sitting and waiting. I hope it comes through tomorrow because I keep re-reading the email thinking I've missed something.

Aye same here.... don't worry; I'm also a shortlister and not had a follow up email yet. Has anyone?

22 hours ago, Lisanextdoor said:

Shifts are Sunday , Monday and Tuesday. My friends had them last year. They had to arrive on Saturday. Before 5 I think but can’t 100% remember the time but it was definitely the Saturday 

thanks, I've been able to free myself up on the Saturday/Sunday now so am going to put my hat into the ring for this. A remote chance of getting pre festival shifts but will keep my fingers crossed!

4 hours ago, deadponyclub said:

thanks, I've been able to free myself up on the Saturday/Sunday now so am going to put my hat into the ring for this. A remote chance of getting pre festival shifts but will keep my fingers crossed!

Good luck. Someone has to get them. I couldn’t tick earlies last year as I was away until Saturday afternoon. The 4 friends I was going with all got them. I was happy for them but was a bit jealous when all their shifts were done and I still had my three to do. None of us got an oxfam space this year so I’m desperately checking the site as often as I can. 

10 minutes ago, Lisanextdoor said:

Good luck. Someone has to get them. I couldn’t tick earlies last year as I was away until Saturday afternoon. The 4 friends I was going with all got them. I was happy for them but was a bit jealous when all their shifts were done and I still had my three to do. None of us got an oxfam space this year so I’m desperately checking the site as often as I can. 

best of luck, I'm sure as we get closer to the festival people will drop out. Keep an eye on the site around 8 weeks before the festival starts. After this date anyone who wants to cancel their Oxfam spot won't get their deposit back! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thekiwi said:

What are people thought on the 'volunteer agreement'? There's a few surprising things in there including.

"We will be unable to return deposits for places cancelled after 28 March 2024 except in extenuating circumstances"

Doesn't bother me, but I guess that's to stop people dumping them for re-sale tickets or alternative volunteering.

"You cannot swap shifts with other volunteers."

Awwww.... 

"- 3 days x 8 hours or
- 4 days x 6 hours or
- 2 days x 8 hours plus 2 days x 4 hours"

Fair enough

"the system that worked successfully for many years where coaches came into site to pick up volunteers from near the Avalon Bars campsite is no longer viable. We are currently working with the festival to finalise details for a new pick up point, but this is highly likely to be at the Coach park at Yellow Gate and volunteers will need to walk through the site with their belongings to this Coach park."

Oh crumbs..... literally the opposite side of the site to the Avalon campsite.