Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

40 minutes ago, Talcroft said:

They'll be selecting by ballot... All of a sudden my nice guaranteed in has disappeared. I am heartbroken! 

That’s rubbish but there’s plenty of other options - you can join Oxfam and get your guaranteed in back soon enough. 

I wonder if Shelter will still be at the festival in any other capacity - the demographic at the festival is spot on for their activities. 

15 minutes ago, stuie said:

I wonder if Shelter will still be at the festival in any other capacity - the demographic at the festival is spot on for their activities. 

its a good fit but its a bit too much preaching to the converted.

13 minutes ago, stuie said:

That’s rubbish but there’s plenty of other options - you can join Oxfam and get your guaranteed in back soon enough. 

You would hope so.

A lot of volunteers much less keen to work for Avalon than Shelter. Though I've no doubt for every one who decides against it, 10 more will register their interest.

Sigh.

23 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Not massively surprising given the well known problems they've had for the past couple of years. Firstly the late change to mandate coach travel from Bristol in 22, and then overselling places in 23. 

Don't forget the no show of the coach leaving site last year, and Shelter staff leaving site without seeing all volunteers sorted to get to Bristol. Lots missed trains etc and incurred significant cost. Really poor show. Remains to be seen whether that was Avalon or Shelter's doing...

4 minutes ago, Talcroft said:

Don't forget the no show of the coach leaving site last year, and Shelter staff leaving site without seeing all volunteers sorted to get to Bristol. Lots missed trains etc and incurred significant cost. Really poor show. Remains to be seen whether that was Avalon or Shelter's doing...

No way? That's actually incredibly poor form. 

I had no idea that had happened, if I did it might have actually taken them off the list. There's only one org that I don't put on because the volunteer experience seems awful.

On 12/12/2023 at 11:33 AM, stuie said:

I’m still shocked this isn’t the case for all volunteers! Paying to recycle seems nuts to me. 

This year my Oxfam deposit will be 50% of the ticket face value and I’ll get it all back. 

Only half??? Thought it was 100%. I'm assuming that you get it right only if you do all shifts to the required standard and don't show up hangover, etc?

Edited by BluesManP

4 hours ago, BluesManP said:

Only half??? Thought it was 100%. I'm assuming that you get it right only if you do all shifts to the required standard and don't show up hangover, etc?

It's 100% for newcomers, but Oxfam have a deal where people with a track record can put down a reduced deposit.

14 hours ago, Talcroft said:

They'll be selecting by ballot... All of a sudden my nice guaranteed in has disappeared. I am heartbroken! 

19 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

It's not a volunteer role really if you have to pay.

Why stay and do your shifts? It’s a ballot so there isn’t the incentive to stay and do a good job for a place next year.  If you are paying anyway where is the penalty for doing a runner?
Poorly thought out and poor behaviour. 

19 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

Just got an email saying Shelter will no longer be providing workers for bars at the festival.

Avalon Bars will be recruiting themselves instead, register interest via the website address in the screenshot.

Screenshot_20231213_171216_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Glad I spotted this. Haven't had an email myself despite having volunteered with Shelter four times (not since '19 mind).

18 hours ago, Talcroft said:

18 hours ago, Talcroft said:

Email says expressions of interest close in Jan then ballot will be soon after. So at least we know before other volunteering deadlines/resale. But still. Suddenly feel hard done to - worked the proverbials off the last two years, don't have many pals trying for tickets any more, increasingly feels like the universe doesn't want me there.

Is that an email from Avalon? I have registered interest but as of yet have had no confirmation. Couldn't see anything about a ballot.

Also gutted that my nice little "in" has changed yet again (the coach only from Bristol makes it a bit of a 'mare for me).

18 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Not massively surprising given the well known problems they've had for the past couple of years. Firstly the late change to mandate coach travel from Bristol in 22, and then overselling places in 23. 

Details added to the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JAcEC1skr5YsqgyIYUwy6_1HSRh0Fw_Ud0RkQaQIPkM/edit?usp=drivesdk

I never did find out if the coach change was a Shelter or Avalon decision. They cocked up the places in '20 (which became '22) as well iirc.

17 hours ago, Talcroft said:

You would hope so.

A lot of volunteers much less keen to work for Avalon than Shelter. Though I've no doubt for every one who decides against it, 10 more will register their interest.

Sigh.

How will Avalon be different do you think?  

17 hours ago, Talcroft said:

Didn't know about that. Scandalous.

Guessing the coach change was an Avalon decision then as it looks like they are sticking with the annoying Bristol only thing.

On 12/12/2023 at 10:34 AM, stuie said:

Can any other recycling crew confirm that you pay to volunteer at the festival? 

I'm even more confused now why these positions are so sought after at the festival and require personal recommendations to be accepted. 

Come and join Oxfam? 

No- the charity I volunteer for gives all the deposit back minus an admin fee- the festival donates the ticket fee to them I believe.

This year is the same as previous- a charity trying to charge volunteers the full ticket cost seems v wrong....

On 12/12/2023 at 10:41 AM, Skip997 said:

Maybe I'm volunteer crew, maybe I'm a charity volunteer. It's really not that clear, at least to me, but then again I've never bothered asking.

It should be clear- you'll get emails from Fiona if you are direct or from the charity if its a charity place...

Just now, LeeHC said:

It should be clear- you'll get emails from Fiona if you are direct or from the charity if its a charity place...

Neither applies to me. I get emails from someone relatively high up in the festival hierarchy, but not Fiona nor a charity.

Guess that means I'm volunteer crew, but I think there's a charity donation on my behalf.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Neither applies to me. I get emails from someone relatively high up in the festival hierarchy, but not Fiona nor a charity.

Guess that means I'm volunteer crew, but I think there's a charity donation on my behalf.

Aha, always more layers! 

Some of my friends work for Fiona's boss so I know things don't always work that way if you've got connections!

Word on the street is they are changing a lot this year and cutting back some of these routes in so time will tell!

5 minutes ago, LeeHC said:

Word on the street is they are changing a lot this year and cutting back some of these routes in so time will tell!

Always a possibility, we nearly lost a lot of our places this year, until someone high up in GFL intervened, our crew is highly regarded.

I'm not too worried as the people who run Dragon Field have a lot of influence in the festival.

I also have at least two possible alternative ways in.

Edited by Skip997
  • Upvote 1

On 12/14/2023 at 12:42 PM, MrZigster said:

... They cocked up the places in '20 (which became '22) as well iirc.

How will Avalon be different do you think?  

I also never got an email from Shelter but struck lucky previously being assigned with a crew who've been doing it 10 years who did get the emails, so was pleased to have their links. Shouldn't complain I guess - I'm one of the ones who benefitted from their 2020 cock up and it was bound to come back to bite me eventually. 

How will Avalon be different? I personally don't think it will be. But I have friends who worry staff toilets, showers and catering will be significantly worse or not present. They suspect the charity contributions won't be nearly as high and they don't want to work their proverbials off for profit. (They haven't made their mind up about registering their interest. Principles or an in, which do you prioritise?)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Talcroft said:

I also never got an email from Shelter but struck lucky previously being assigned with a crew who've been doing it 10 years who did get the emails, so was pleased to have their links. Shouldn't complain I guess - I'm one of the ones who benefitted from their 2020 cock up and it was bound to come back to bite me eventually. 

How will Avalon be different? I personally don't think it will be. But I have friends who worry staff toilets, showers and catering will be significantly worse or not present. They suspect the charity contributions won't be nearly as high and they don't want to work their proverbials off for profit. (They haven't made their mind up about registering their interest. Principles or an in, which do you prioritise?)

I think it’s possible for you to have both. I used to do loads with Oxfam when i was a student and needed an in but then returning to them for Glasto feels a good fit for my morals and I like to support the charity too. 

6 hours ago, Festival Sounds Podcast said:

If it’s not a charity it impacts your leave.  Volunteering for charity might get you 1-3 extra days off depending who you work for. Less likely to get sign off if it’s for a profit making company.

It's definitely worth investigating, but tbh even if it's a charity you're lucky if you can get days off for festival volunteering.

Lots of places won't give volunteer days to start with, and even amongst those that do plenty will have restrictions - such as the charity being a nominated / approved one, some kind of "community benefit" test, or that the shift hours fall within what would normally be your working hours (which in turn may need to be signed off in advance ie before you get your shifts pattern).

I've checked it out where I work, and while they offer (and in theory encourage) volunteer days, I'd fall short of getting it signed off due to all of the above restrictions which is a bit of a pisser. Ultimately I get the impression that many managers will look at it as taking the piss.

18 minutes ago, incident said:

It's definitely worth investigating, but tbh even if it's a charity you're lucky if you can get days off for festival volunteering.

Lots of places won't give volunteer days to start with, and even amongst those that do plenty will have restrictions - such as the charity being a nominated / approved one, some kind of "community benefit" test, or that the shift hours fall within what would normally be your working hours (which in turn may need to be signed off in advance ie before you get your shifts pattern).

I've checked it out where I work, and while they offer (and in theory encourage) volunteer days, I'd fall short of getting it signed off due to all of the above restrictions which is a bit of a pisser. Ultimately I get the impression that many managers will look at it as taking the piss.

I've tried in the past but I work for a charity so our volunteer days have to be used internally (which is sort of pointless, it's ultimately just shuffling the payroll budget around) except for one specific project that we are involved in. There was talk a few years ago of opening it up more but nothing came of it unfortunately. 

I do know of one friend who's managed to use volunteer days for stewarding though. She's since changed jobs and her new employers don't allow it

4 hours ago, incident said:

At my last place, they even got me to do a company wide presentation on using your two days for Oxfam festival volunteering. Some good businesses out there.

Edited by Festival Sounds Podcast

5 hours ago, incident said:

I use my volunteer days for Oxfam festivals that aren't Glastonbury. It's already dubious that I can use them for a festival (because of the community benefit test) so i don't want to push my luck. Everyone knows I do it for a ticket and ticket checking doesn't feel like I'm making as much of a contribution. When you're actually stewarding inside a festival and there's potential first aid/lost children calls it's an easier "sell" back to the company that you're making a difference.