Your top 3 acts from Glastonbury 2023

fat_man_joe

I'm gonna cheat and give five, as I can't whittle them down!

1. Elton

2. Sparks

3. Charlotte Adigery and Bolis Pupul

4. Richard Thompson

5. Benefits

Genuinely didn't see a weak set this year except for The Damned being a bit pedestrian - wanted to go to Arctic Monkeys after Sparks but was too late and didn't want to walk. Also, I turned into a complete sobbing mess at the start of Sweet Child O'Mine as it's a very personal song to me for several reasons, and seeing it on the Pyramid properly got me in the feels. 

Another amazing year!

2 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Top 3 is so unfair. I saw so many good acts.

But I'll play along nonetheless.

1. Hives.

2. DJ Yoda.

3. Showhawk Duo.

Which showhawk did you manage to catch? I managed to squeeze into Bimble Inn Sat night for their last of many

11 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Which showhawk did you manage to catch? I managed to squeeze into Bimble Inn Sat night for their last of many

Saw the Bandstand one on Thurs. Was buzzing the whole time. Massive crowd, very responsive, great music, great sound, was sensational. Randomly stubbled on them again later on, somewhere near BBC Intro after Hot Chip and I was on the way to Lonely Hearts but the crowd didn't have the same buzz, was much later on, and the speakers were too quiet.

1) Cat Stevens - Absolutely flawed by his voice and lyrics, very emotional. 

2) QOTSA- a given for me, they always bring it and with a very small crowd it felt really intimate.

3) Black Country New Road - great sound especially after the difficulties they've had, bright future. 

1 - young fathers. What I was most looking forward to before the festival, having really gotten into Heavy Heavy in recent months and hearing from friends that they are an incredible live band. Didn’t disappoint in the slightest, their intensity throughout is on another level to most acts I saw, and the crowd was incredibly in to it. 

2 - comet is coming. Couldn’t convince anyone else that jazz rave music was what they wanted to see on Friday afternoon, but so glad I went on my own to this one. Again, just another level of intensity to most of the other things I saw.

3 - Elton. Have never classed myself as an Elton fan, and really like phoenix, QOTSA, alt-J and Rudimental so was wondering about sacking him off. Decided not too and so glad I did, realised that actually his songs are so ubiquitous that I knew all his songs, as did everyone in the crowd. Can’t think of anyone else that can play a set of hit after hit like that that so many people in such a big crowd will know so well. The Beatles probably. Also realised from the multiple WhatsApp groups watching the set that it was so much more than just those at the festival. 

honorable mentions to Cat Burns, Richard Thompson, Badly Drawn Boy, Lizzo, the lightning seeds and the hives, who were all excellent. Friday was a pretty goat day for me, and really I should have listened to my instincts and gone and seen hot chip rather than the arctic monkeys, not that the arctic monkeys were poor I thought, more that as I mentioned for Elton, there aren’t many people who can keep a crowds intensity for a big headline slot like those and you end up with quite a few songs that most people there don’t really know. 

then not sure what to say about Lana Del Rey, apart from the fact that had she pulled it off it would have been incredible. As it was, I don’t see how it can justify the five star reviews I saw in some places for it given a huge amount of people had gone before it started, and then it missed out some of her best songs. What was there was brilliant though.