Why so difficult to get tickets!!

Kazual

Hi all,

Obtaining tickets for tye Glastonbury Festival has always been notoriously difficult but I've known people be successful every time at obtaining tickets whereas I've failed to manage to get tickets since I first tried in 1999.

Is there a secret to increasing your chances of obtaining tickets?

I've tried getting friends and family to apply for tickets at the same time to better my chances but this method has never worked to date.

Any tips would be much appreciated as I'm bewildered as to how many people know seem to bag tickets every time the festival comes along!

Just in case anyone asks, these friends are getting tickets for another group of friends, so yes I've tried to see if they could get me one too but they are always already accounted for. 

Thanks in advance for any tips! 

It's difficult because sh*t like Rick Astley & The Blossoms happens. Greatest show on earth bar none. Nowhere else does what G does. Who else gets GnR on time. Gets Coldplay and Adele the same year.  Gets the Foo Fighters to play a god damn afternoon slot to 80,000 people. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the advice so far. God knows how people get tickets every time! Must just be a luck thing?? I've had as much as 10 different friends/family try at the same timeto get tickets but no luck. I was 19 when I first tried to get tickets and I'm now nearly 44 so I might just give it up as bad job! Lol

1 hour ago, Kazual said:

Hi all,

Obtaining tickets for tye Glastonbury Festival has always been notoriously difficult but I've known people be successful every time at obtaining tickets whereas I've failed to manage to get tickets since I first tried in 1999.

Is there a secret to increasing your chances of obtaining tickets?

I've tried getting friends and family to apply for tickets at the same time to better my chances but this method has never worked to date.

Any tips would be much appreciated as I'm bewildered as to how many people know seem to bag tickets every time the festival comes along!

Just in case anyone asks, these friends are getting tickets for another group of friends, so yes I've tried to see if they could get me one too but they are always already accounted for. 

Thanks in advance for any tips! 

In 1999 you walked into HMV and bought a ticket over the counter. It didn't start online sales til the 00s and it didn't start selling out immediately til the middle of the 00s at that??

27 minutes ago, Kazual said:

Thanks for the advice so far. God knows how people get tickets every time! Must just be a luck thing?? I've had as much as 10 different friends/family try at the same timeto get tickets but no luck. I was 19 when I first tried to get tickets and I'm now nearly 44 so I might just give it up as bad job! Lol

If you've tried every year since, something is going terribly wrong 😂 in the past it was survival of the fittest (or desperate with no other responsibilities), you'd just have to sit hammer F5 for hours (I mean hours) until eventually you got through. At least its not on sale in the evening anymore 🤣

1 hour ago, al_coholic said:

It's difficult because sh*t like Rick Astley & The Blossoms happens. Greatest show on earth bar none. Nowhere else does what G does. Who else gets GnR on time. Gets Coldplay and Adele the same year.  Gets the Foo Fighters to play a god damn afternoon slot to 80,000 people. 

Coachella literally had one of  GnR's first shows back and were on time in 2016. Literally just had the first Blink 182 reunion show  2 months ago mid afternoon and then get Fred/Skrillex/Four Tet to play on Frank Oceans ice rink to close the fest with 4 days notice. Thats along with 3 former headliners on the bill for shits and giggles and 2 were at the headliners requests. 

oh, and regarding difficulty getting tickets. The fest will choose you when its your time. Just dont give up

28 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Coachella literally had one of  GnR's first shows back and were on time in 2016. Literally just had the first Blink 182 reunion show  2 months ago mid afternoon and then get Fred/Skrillex/Four Tet to play on Frank Oceans ice rink to close the fest with 4 days notice. Thats along with 3 former headliners on the bill for shits and giggles and 2 were at the headliners requests. 

oh, and regarding difficulty getting tickets. The fest will choose you when its your time. Just dont give up

I'd rather spend 5 mins at a Glastonbury long drop than a weekend at Coachella tho.

Edited by devli
  • Upvote 11

1 hour ago, irnkrtn said:

In 1999 you walked into HMV and bought a ticket over the counter. It didn't start online sales til the 00s and it didn't start selling out immediately til the middle of the 00s at that??

Weren't they shitting themselves in 2008 because there were still tickets left only a couple of weeks before the festival opened it's gates?

The immediate sellout started in the 2010's

• Upvote 1

I think the BBC’s coverage of the festival aids this. The coverage is in general, excellent, with so many acts you can watch and enjoy. The camera work is brilliant and there seems to have been a shift in the last few years to focus more on the crowd living every minute.  It creates this utopia that you can only feel envious of whilst watching on the tv, and then when you realise that’s not even half of what’s going on, then that creates the demand. So many must watch it and say they want to go again, or for the first time. Who wouldn’t? The biggest party on earth for 5 days. Helped the weathers been amazing the last few festivals. 

1 hour ago, DaveN said:

Restarted. 2004-2007 sold as fast as they were capable of selling the tickets at the time. As has 2011 onwards.

Anyone who wanted them and made an effort could have had tickets for 2008-2010 though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Here's the daily suprefan inserting Coachella when no one mentioned it.

20 hours ago, DaveN said:

Weren't they shitting themselves in 2008 because there were still tickets left only a couple of weeks before the festival opened it's gates?

Yep. I think it sold out fairly quickly the year before from memory - a few hours - but then in 2008 took a while. Ppl blamed Jay Z headlining but not sure that made sense as ticket day was in October. 2008 was a cracking year though! 2005 (was 6 a fallow year? Or do I mean 2006??) was a few weeks from memory. 

18 hours ago, incident said:

Restarted. 2004-2007 sold as fast as they were capable of selling the tickets at the time. As has 2011 onwards.

Anyone who wanted them and made an effort could have had tickets for 2008-2010 though.

Thank god someone actually remembers. All those ticket sales blur into one F5 panic for me!

9 hours ago, Homersexual said:

What’s the best avenue to do this? I don’t mind cleaning the bogs if I have to.

Oxfam or water aid usually pretty good. If you volunteer at another festival you usually get first dibs at Glastonbury with oxfam (or you used to)

9 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Seems as good a thread as any - when’s the next fallow year?

It should have been 2019-2023 on with the fallow year in 2024, but with rona cancelling 20/21 I think it'll now run 2022-2026 with a fallow year in 2027, but this is purely an educated guess 

Edited by verrymerry