Isle of Wight 2024

galbani

12 hours ago, charlierc said:

Festivals in Germany and Italy are making announcements at 2pm local today, equivalent to 1pm UK time. So it feels like this is very co-ordinated.

Huh. Turns out this presumption after I'd seen co-ordinated announcements by Rock am Ring and Milano i-Days was bang on.

This actually has a decent undercard as well. I had considered coming for Muse last year but thought the bill below was rubbish.

You can see where the money has gone in nabbing Green Day, the same way IOW have typically splurged for one headliner above the rest over the years.

But The Prodigy and Pet Shop Boys are two outstanding bookings to line up alongside them, even if they are arguably a little smaller. I always used to think of IOW headliners as being on the same curve, size-wise, as your R+L bill-toppers, your VFetival crew, your T in the Park team and your Download chart-toppers. (To me, those five festivals and Glastonbury marked out the biggest in the country.)

Obviously, tastes have wildly diversified over who goes where since, but that feels like two very strong bookers. (Also effectively confirms headlining the Other Stage at Glastonbury as akin to topping IOW.)

21 hours ago, WhatADin said:

I think so. After such lacklustre line-ups in recent years and general meh line-ups this year on all festivals. I reckon it'll have a surge on Sunday after the glastonbury ticket sale

EDIT: I mean it sold out this year with Robbie

20 hours ago, sisco said:

Last year it sold out about a week before the festival.  Maybe you’re right but I’d be amazed 

did it actually sell out though or was it a fake sell out?

I wasn't on site so have no idea - but fake sell outs happen often e.g. for Leeds

If you book too close to the fest the ferries become extortionate - can hit close to £100 each return in a car + petrol etc

Sunday we thought was particularly busy - we noticed the crowds as we were leaving the main stage before RW came on...

I suspect he was a bit of a draw for a lot of people, though they probably expected him to do the singing, rather than just complaining about his life and then pointing the mic at the crowd.

Manics were excellent as were Echo and his bunnymen.

42 minutes ago, galbani said:

Manics were excellent as were Echo and his bunnymen.

This!

The ferry is rather extortionate. We are old fuddy duddies and joined the caravan club to get cheap ferry travel. Even with the discount its £210

Edited by WhatADin

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 5:27 PM, sisco said:

269 I think.  The fact you can do a payment plan is good.  If I don’t get Glasto tickets I think I’ll try it 

As IOW is likely to have the best line up in the UK (and although the headliners are decent, the undercard generally isn't) other than Glastonbury and the fact Glasto is a complete lottery. I'd seriously consider looking at foreign festivals. They are just as east to get to as the IOW in fairness and for the money you will have 1) a much better line up 2) More to do if there is the rare event you dont want to watch any bands 3) better weather. 

Rock Werchter and Mad Cool are good starting festivals. 

4 hours ago, jonnytee1 said:

As IOW is likely to have the best line up in the UK (and although the headliners are decent, the undercard generally isn't) other than Glastonbury and the fact Glasto is a complete lottery. I'd seriously consider looking at foreign festivals. They are just as east to get to as the IOW in fairness and for the money you will have 1) a much better line up 2) More to do if there is the rare event you dont want to watch any bands 3) better weather. 

Rock Werchter and Mad Cool are good starting festivals. 

Yeah they’re both on my radar mate, was always planning one the next fallow Glasto year.  Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.   I’ll get Glastonbury tickets anyway…. I have faith (got them the last 5 years so guessing luck will run out at some point)