Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

Kylie will charge a lot more than Kim. She ain't coming.

I don't think we'll get a direct replacement for Kim either way. Let's be real, in the next couple weeks we'll get a list of names that have had to drop out and some names that will be added. The new names will unlikely be as exciting as the names we're losing, that's just the way it is.

We're unlikely to hear anything until the prices go up. They'll then probably send an email detailing who's in, who's out, and a reminder to buy some Ciutat tickets. 

1 hour ago, Whos3000_ said:

i am wondering if this means that fka twigs is confirmed or if we can't assume that on the basis of PS announcement regarding kim petras

To me, it looked like PS announcement was a direct reaction to KP post.

I'm still convinced that FKA will be there though. Fingers crossed!

7 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

I'd say shes unlikely, her tour starts in Belgium one day later, so she probably flies in from the us then. If its was the middle of a tour, you could probably just fit a date in between or restructure the bus route, but rebooking flights at this point with all things involved like toll and stuff seems like too much of a hassle for a single date.

PS could just pay her an extra fee for rescheduling flight costs and such.

7 hours ago, MKBAB said:

Imagine if we get Kylie Minogue or Nelly Furtado (she's playing in London and Dublin on Saturday and Sunday) as a replacement, that would be awesome. 

They need to replace Kim Petras with a gay icon. 

But the LGBTQ+ crowd isn't owed anything, it sucks for them that Petras cancelled but PS is under no obligation that a replacement act should be similar. 

12 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

PS could just pay her an extra fee for rescheduling flight costs and such.

But the LGBTQ+ crowd isn't owed anything, it sucks for them that Petras cancelled but PS is under no obligation that a replacement act should be similar. 

Primavera Sound is always somewhat unpredictable, but I believe it's not just about maintaining numbers on the lineup, but rather filling thematic niches. If a DJ cancels, they'll likely be replaced by another DJ; if a electro pop second-tier headliner, they'll very probably be replaced it by a similarly sized artist to fill that gap

38 minutes ago, diancieprince said:

Primavera Sound is always somewhat unpredictable, but I believe it's not just about maintaining numbers on the lineup, but rather filling thematic niches. If a DJ cancels, they'll likely be replaced by another DJ; if a electro pop second-tier headliner, they'll very probably be replaced it by a similarly sized artist to fill that gap

Is that so? I recall Caroline Polachek got upgraded to main stage after FKA twigs dropped last year, but I forget who replaced Polachek's original slot.

2019 had Miley Cyrus replacing Cardi B, but pop and hiphop are still different enough.

In 2022 when Massive Attack cancelled, I recall Charli XCX and M.I.A. getting upgraded to main stage, and Fred again.. and The Smile being booked in their original slots. 

From all these, The Smile is the only act similar enough to Massive Attack.

15 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Is that so? I recall Caroline Polachek got upgraded to main stage after FKA twigs dropped last year, but I forget who replaced Polachek's original slot.

2019 had Miley Cyrus replacing Cardi B, but pop and hiphop are still different enough.

In 2022 when Massive Attack cancelled, I recall Charli XCX and M.I.A. getting upgraded to main stage, and Fred again.. and The Smile being booked in their original slots. 

From all these, The Smile is the only act similar enough to Massive Attack.

- In 2023 FKA Twigs was replaced by Sevdaliza ( art-pop / alternative R&B too ). Since Sevdaliza obviously couldn't fill the late night headline spot, another artist from the lineup Caroline Polacheck took that place in Mordor.

-Cardi B was replaced by another big female headliner, which was what they were aiming for in the 2019 edition ( the new normal anthem ).

- In 2022, Massive Attack wasn't directly replaced due to the sold out; artists already present on the lineup (no idea who) took their place in Mordor.

Edited by diancieprince

But the aforementioned artists that took the place of Massive Attack had a respective replacement too, which I what I referred to.

And yeah, a big female headliner is certainly similar, but that was also a case of luck. Most often, festivals cannot just book a comparably-sized act given that schedules are locked months in advance.

3 minutes ago, ibo said:

Maybe they’ll replace Kim with Jessie Ware. But I think they’ll make a list of bands who cancelled and a list of new names. And no one big. Sadly. 

I don't think Sonar would allow JW to play elsewhere in Barcelona. Think you are right with how they will approach this. There will be other cancelled bands we have no idea about. They might add not someone big but someone who has broken through recently.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, diancieprince said:

Do you all think we could get any new info about the lineup before the price change (may 3th friday) or it is a marketing strategy ??? 

I think we will get some news next week but not sure if new names or something else. I don't think you can rule out replacement names coming next week.

Edited by xxialac

4 hours ago, nicolaspepsi said:

They should put the libertines, the release a new record and there are a few rock bands this year 

nah, The Libertines and PS don't fit, as much as I like them. Acts like Libertines, Foals, Kasabian, Franz Ferdinand and so on won't be booked (anymore) they are more of a FIB Benicassim vibe. Its just this specific brand of British Rock that PS avoids nowadays.

PS USP is being the spearhead of European music scene. They won't book someone unless they are rising stars (in their respective scope), absolute legends of their field or have a flawless catalogue (2023 is an exception here bc of the expansion plans). Of course there is always a chance to put yourself back on their radar with a very good record, but you won't see someone like Libertines or - lets say - Noel Gallagher here, who are mostly administering their fame with solid but irrelevant-outside-their-fanbase albums.

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

Technically yes, but there must be contractual obligations that would make that not the ideal for the artist. 

Personally I think she's playing, and probably it will be a light set with a mix of old songs, Caprisongs and some new unreleased material. Also I think that she dropped from Mexico because she probably did not have her set ready by that time and it was her only date outside Europe so maybe did not make much sense. And also if she was cancelling all the concerts, why didnt she cancel it 1 or 2 months before? So in my books she's in for now. Specially after Kim Petras dropping I guess Primavera will push for her to not drop.

• Like 1

The festival has not yet issued an official post on which artists or bands have canceled yet. They have  simply reacted to the news given by the artist through their social media.
The FKA Twigs show is an exclusive act  for Primavera Sound, will be the festival that delivers the bad news, not the artist (similar to what happened at the festival in Mexico).

Nevertheless, I trust that she will still be part of this year's lineup; the advertising and publicity given by ps supports this.

Yeah I am just about allowing myself to believe Twigs MIGHT turn up. I was a denier before but I'm coming round. Still prepared for disappointment but as we approach May I'm willing to be more naive.

• Like 1

Now that I've booked my trip to Way Out West and have tickets to see Arab Strap later this year, as well as going to Best Kept Secret the week after PS, my fear of painful clashes has finally calmed down a bit. 

Now the biggest remaining fear is for FKA Twigs to actually show up and hoping the Friday will have the few acts I'd like to see that day spread nicely over the day. Time for Justice now, sounds great so far.

Edited by Marty76