Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

23 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

When did he say it? Is she the one who dropped out the day before the release ? 

"Well Carly fell at the last minute because of I don't know what story. I hope she comes back soon, I love it.
The distribution by days will be shortly, some last minute problems that arose when the poster was going to be launched had to be resolved. Already solved."

13 hours ago, xxialac said:

I don't mean to sound unkind but I thought Kourtesis delivered an underwhelming set last year (despite liking the music). Maybe it was that the crowd was flat or maybe she has since bolstered her live setup.

Had exactly the same feeling. I guess it had a lot to do with the (early) time slot and dull crowd,

I guess (hope) next year it will be different.

Good evening,

I have posted here in the past but had trouble accessing my other account so made a new one.

Anyway, I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the lineup and it does seem a bit childish - many are judging it based on what's not on the lineup rather than what is there. Too many of us spend our time fantasising about who may be there and obsessing over various rumours/predictions, so we build unrealistic expectations. Then when the lineup finally arrives, we are either disappointed because the acts we had hoped for aren't there, or the acts we want are there but it doesn't feel like as much of a surprise because we've already discussed them loads. I would have loved for The Cure to be there - they are one of my favourite bands ever - but I realise it was just a wish and I have to just accept they aren't playing, and hope they'll play another year instead. I'm not going to get angry at Primavera because of their absence.

If you actually bother to explore the lineup, you'll find there's plenty of good stuff on there to appeal to different tastes. Sure, it might not be as commercial as some of the previous editions (although the likes of Lana, SZA, Mitski etc are still big names) and I've seen people whining about such things as the lack of a Latin headliner for example - but you seem to forget it's only fairly recently that PS decided to go in a more "commercial" direction, and they have since said they are trying to return to their roots. So maybe the real Primavera isn't for you and you should find something else - I wouldn't go to a metal festival forum and complain about the lack of electronic artists on the lineup.

Another issue is that people keep blaming the fest for certain acts not being booked, without considering that there are other factors involved too -  like maybe The Smile aren't available or maybe they didn't want to play or maybe another Spanish festival has booked them instead. Also, I get some people are disappointed because they paid for early bird tickets and don't like the lineup but that's just the risk you took and need to accept that. It's like gambling ain't it?

Anyway, while you lot are whinging that its not perfect, me and my pal @scatteredscreensare gonna be having it large at ✝️ JUSTICE ✝️

Peace out

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

Maybe it’s me but I feel like the festival is not going to sell very well this year (yes I know it’s not sold out most of the times) and I feel like they are going to add some names, not small or boiler room names, but a couple of mid size ones. I just hope, but on the other hand this year the lineup was so packed that I couldn’t see everything. 

Why would it not sell? This has Gen Z and late Millenial Favourites (Lana, Mitski, Sza, FKA Twigs, Troye Sivan), Legacy Heroes (Pulp, PJ Harvey, Beth Gibbons), some best of 2000s Indie (National, Phoenix, Vampire Weekend) and some can't-see-anywhere-else acts (Clipse, Jai Paul, Duster), some indie darlings (American Football, Duster again, arab Strap, Blonde Readhead)

And the undercard hold top notch hardcore/metal bands (The Armed, Gel, Scowl, Brutus, Wiegedood), many of the most interesting female singer-Songwriters and rising pop names (, The Last Dinner Party, Faye Webster, Julie Byrne, Ethel Cain) alongside a very solid Electronic Line Up (Disclosure, Justice, The Blessed Madonna, sofia Kourtesis, Peggy Gou).

And these are just from the 2/3 of the line up I know! 

This is just such a diverse, interesting Line Up catering to many tastes. I don't say its the best ever PS but why on earth would this not sell? 

And if thats the concern: The Smile, Massive Attack or - especially - LCD Soundsystem would not have shifted more tickets than most of the acts in the headline. I think the Brits here tend to overstate the respective acts relevance outside the UK. These are all very good acts, I would've loved to see. But None of them would (or did) sell bigger venues than The National outside the UK

Edited by Quadrophobia

12 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Why would it not sell? This has Gen Z and late Millenial Favourites (Lana, Mitski, Sza, FKA Twigs, Troye Sivan), Legacy Heroes (Pulp, PJ Harvey, Beth Gibbons), some best of 2000s Indie (National, Phoenix, Vampire Weekend) and some can't-see-anywhere-else acts (Clipse, Jai Paul, Duster), some indie darlings (American Football, Duster again, arab Strap, Blonde Readhead)

And the undercard hold top notch hardcore/metal bands (The Armed, Gel, Scowl, Brutus, Wiegedood), many of the most interesting female singer-Songwriters and rising pop names (, The Last Dinner Party, Faye Webster, Julie Byrne, Ethel Cain) alongside a very solid Electronic Line Up (Disclosure, Justice, The Blessed Madonna, sofia Kourtesis, Peggy Gou).

This is just such a diverse, interesting Line Up catering to many tastes. I don't say its the best ever PS but why on earth would this not sell? 

And if thats the concern: The Smile, Massive Attack or - especially - LCD Soundsystem would not have shifted more tickets than most of the acts in the headline. I think the Brits here tend to overstate the respective acts relevance outside the UK. These are all very good acts, I would've loved to see. But None of them would (or did) sell bigger venues than The National outside the UK

Strongly agree about the first part, the lineup is good and people are comparing it to last years instead of this year- when other festivals will publish their lineups it will be easier to see.

But, and I'm saying it as non-brit - you're way off about The Smile, Massive Attack and LCD Soundsystem - their huge, it's not just a brit thing 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Strongly agree about the first part, the lineup is good and people are comparing it to last years instead of this year- when other festivals will publish their lineups it will be easier to see.

But, and I'm saying it as non-brit - you're way off about The Smile, Massive Attack and LCD Soundsystem - their huge, it's not just a brit thing 

I am not saying they are irrelevant, just the often ushered "Massive Attack would make this line up better than the National" sentiment (to which I myseld agree, having never seen MA) and the "this line up will sell poorly" story do not add up. 

LCD Soundsystem actually themselves thought they would sell rather poorly in Europe and only booked quite small venues in 2017 (when the still had reunion bonus). They are a great band, fantastic live act, but commercially their impact in Europe is far below that of many acts on this years line up. The same venue LCD played in Berlin, Mitski sold out twice within minutes. 

48 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I agree with you on most things, I think that the festival started to take a direction that I think it’s should’ve not taken after 2019 by booking a lot of commercial artists, I actually thought that this year Karol G or Bad Bunny or Travis Scott would come. Well, and many other commercial artists. I’m not into them, but I feel like with them it would sell much better. And don’t get me wrong, I like this lineup, it’s not my favourite one and I see a lot of artists that are not here and could be here, but still I like it. Hopefully it does sell good, it’s my favourite festival in the world. Maybe it’s just me, but I think that this lineup will struggle to sell very well. I hope I’m wrong. 

1 minute ago, festivalguy97 said:

I agree with you on most things, I think that the festival started to take a direction that I think it’s should’ve not taken after 2019 by booking a lot of commercial artists, I actually thought that this year Karol G or Bad Bunny or Travis Scott would come. Well, and many other commercial artists. I’m not into them, but I feel like with them it would sell much better. And don’t get me wrong, I like this lineup, it’s not my favourite one and I see a lot of artists that are not here and could be here, but still I like it. Hopefully it does sell good, it’s my favourite festival in the world. Maybe it’s just me, but I think that this lineup will struggle to sell very well. I hope I’m wrong. 

Bad Bunny was never coming to this festival, nonsensical prediction. He's massive in Spain, he'd be paid chump change to headline primavera. He'd probably be their biggest headliner in terms of size in the country he's playing. 

I'm glad Gabi also agrees with me that Karol G is crap. Travis was a semi believable prediction I agree, but he could simply be not doing festivals. Call me ignorant but I'm happy he isn't booked given some of the way he provokes his fanbase. Would have added a negative energy to the fest imo.

59 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

I think you are distinguishing acts as "commercial" on a very subjective basis. I don't really see who on the 2019 line up could've been called "commercial" at that point. The only purely commercial acts I ever saw at PS were Maneskin and Calvin Harris, both obviously part of an effort to implement Madrid and push into more Mainstream audiences for daytickets, a move that is not really necessary now that its just Barcelona again

16 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I think you are distinguishing acts as "commercial" on a very subjective basis. I don't really see who on the 2019 line up could've been called "commercial" at that point. The only purely commercial acts I ever saw at PS were Maneskin and Calvin Harris, both obviously part of an effort to implement Madrid and push into more Mainstream audiences for daytickets, a move that is not really necessary now that its just Barcelona again

J Balvin? Cardi B? Janelle Monae? In some way Erykah Badu and Tame Impala also. 

10 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

J Balvin? Cardi B? Janelle Monae? In some way Erykah Badu and Tame Impala also. 

Definitely J Balvin, Cardi B, in the end Miley Cyrus and I'd add Carly Rae Jepsen. 

But I don't think Janelle Monae and Erykah Badu are particularly commercial names. They're R&B but they're critically acclaimed acts that I'd guess have a lot of "music nerd" fans and most casual music listeners probably never heard of them.

Tame Impala are a typical Primavera booking imo and have a lot of indie cred. We're just now a bit fed up of them at the festival because most of us have seen them a million times. 

37 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

Definitely J Balvin, Cardi B, in the end Miley Cyrus and I'd add Carly Rae Jepsen. 

But I don't think Janelle Monae and Erykah Badu are particularly commercial names. They're R&B but they're critically acclaimed acts that I'd guess have a lot of "music nerd" fans and most casual music listeners probably never heard of them.

Tame Impala are a typical Primavera booking imo and have a lot of indie cred. We're just now a bit fed up of them at the festival because most of us have seen them a million times. 

The festival marked J Balvins great breakthrough, he was a risky booking at that time, just like FE Megan Thee Stallion in 2022. It was all but sure these were gonna be big at the time of booking. Cardi B and Miley maybe yes, but that was the only act on that line up. 

Janelle Monae, Carly are not commercial names, they are popular only with their respective core-audiences. The vast majority of people thinks of carly not as a pop innovator but as a one hit wonder. Erykah Badu is the opposite of a commercial booking. And there is little to none difference between Tame Impala and The National commercially.

6 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

The festival marked J Balvins great breakthrough, he was a risky booking at that time, just like FE Megan Thee Stallion in 2022. It was all but sure these were gonna be big at the time of booking. Cardi B and Miley maybe yes, but that was the only act on that line up. 

Janelle Monae, Carly are not commercial names, they are popular only with their respective core-audiences. The vast majority of people thinks of carly not as a pop innovator but as a one hit wonder. Erykah Badu is the opposite of a commercial booking. And there is little to none difference between Tame Impala and The National commercially.

Yep fair point on J Balvin. I'll take my comment on Carly Rae Jepsen back because tbh I don't listen to her at all so don't know enough about her to speak to it.

I think the big misunderstanding here is that many people regard the Indie-Rock artists beloved on here as relatively non-commercial, whilst they are exactly the ones that safely shift tickets. The fact that many people on here have seen them countless times, simply isn't as important in the wider public.  

And as much as I love Massive Attack, they are firmly rooted in audiences that by now are on average too old to make the trip to PS. As PS has to focus on local audiences much more since the huge increase in travel cost, acts like that can be a risky booking if it means droppig f.e. SZA

Edited by Quadrophobia

8 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

And as much as I love Massive Attack, they are firmly rooted in audiences that by now are on average too old to make the trip to PS. As PS has to focus on local audiences much more since the huge increase in travel cost, acts like that can be a risky booking if it means droppig f.e. SZA

Massive Attack were literally the first name (as headliner) on the Primavera Sound poster for last year!!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Quadrophobia said:

I think the big misunderstanding here is that many people regard the Indie-Rock artists beloved on here as relatively non-commercial, whilst they are exactly the ones that safely shift tickets. The fact that many people on here have seen them countless times, simply isn't as important in the wider public.  

Definitely not true. Massive attack as well as the smile remain core audience material. This is not sziget, it’s a festival with a strong underground tradition and Gabi and the others are music nerds with good taste. This is the reason why we don’t have Karol g but we had Rosalia 

the absence of massive attack the smile and lcd soundsystem implies a change of priorities and it’s correct to discuss it here, since  it might reflect future directions 

12 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

the absence of massive attack the smile and lcd soundsystem implies a change of priorities and it’s correct to discuss it here, since  it might reflect future directions 

Their absence, as sad as it is, might be related to million other reasons like schedules, artists decisions or when they decided to tour, and not necessarily implies a change in priorities from the organisers. Especially when they were not replaced by Karol G or Kylie Minogue, but replaced by other PS kind of bands like Beth Gibbons or Pulp

I'd really love to see all three of them on, but let's not jump to conclusion about future directions from this

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

Definitely not true. Massive attack as well as the smile remain core audience material. This is not sziget, it’s a festival with a strong underground tradition and Gabi and the others are music nerds with good taste. This is the reason why we don’t have Karol g but we had Rosalia 

Change of priorities? It doesn't imply anything at the moment. Have you simply considered the tour routing and exclusive clauses may have been the issue and not a question of whether the festival wants them? Gabi has mentioned wanting the smile but it didn't work out. Massive Attack I'm assuming the reason will be revealed when other fests announce them in Spain, potentially an exclusivity clause at Sonar for example. LCD Soundsystem could simply just not be around, the UK tour dates are yet to be announced and they are in Europe at the earliest so far in July. Again they could also be an exclusive.

I think people are setting themselves up for failure for expecting every act they want on the line up.

• Thanks 3