Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

28 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

The more I look at the poster the more deflated I get. 

So disappointing.

Same, we had a chat and decided we’d seen most of the acts before and the ones we hadn’t (LDR, Bikini Kill etc,) weren’t worth the £££ on flights and accom. Sold tickets to a friend of a friend but now its sunk in I’m absolutely gutted, will miss it this year. 

Just now, festivalguy97 said:

Still surprised with  the lack of rap, regaetton and k-pop. I mean there are some names but very very few. Almost seems like the team behind the bookings was changed. Because this is the first year since 2019 that the lineup feels different. It's not good or bad, but different. 

It definitely feels like a pre-2019 lineup which I don’t think is a bad thing. Some of the crowds on the Dua Lipa last or Rosalia day this year were not the greatest…

1 hour ago, Drums Please Fab said:

I think we need to be honest with each other and ourselves. That’s pretty meh.

It is your opinion. It is not arguably more "meh" than any other festival this year, or most previous years of Primavera. What more would you want (except your favourite headliner)? A few surprise reunions would have been nice, but then again, there might be none next year. Or maybe I just like "meh" bands! I don't go to stadium shows or big festival, I'm happy with seeing some of the same bands again, as long as they release new good material.

It is not like any festival will ever get both the biggest stars and upcoming artists, in every genre, and for every demographic. It seems like the festival has repositioned itself to "our" demographic, which I think is just fine.

3 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

It is your opinion. It is not arguably more "meh" than any other festival this year, or most previous years of Primavera. What more would you want (except your favourite headliner)? A few surprise reunions would have been nice, but then again, there might be none next year. Or maybe I just like "meh" bands! I don't go to stadium shows or big festival, I'm happy with seeing some of the same bands again, as long as they release new good material.

It is not like any festival will ever get both the biggest stars and upcoming artists, in every genre, and for every demographic. It seems like the festival has repositioned itself to "our" demographic, which I think is just fine.

For me, had they brought something different instead of The National and Phoenix, for example Massive Attack and a big rapper or smth like that, I think it would change the lineup as a whole. 

Once again let's wait and see how the other festivals are doing. Cause I have a feeling that next year might be not that good in general. Unless you're into bands like Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam, next year feels kind of meh. 

For me the lineup is missing "something" but I'm not sure what. Underwhelming is the right word. Considering all the rumours about Bad Bunny, Karol G, Travis Scott, Kylie, plus Depeche Mode last year I expected at least one big name. Lana and SZA are very popular but personally I don't see them and think "yeah, I need to be there", you know? But I'm still going!

Based on other tour dates/albums/availability, I thought we'd see the Pet Shop Boys (again), Underworld, Orbital, Chemical Brothers, Soulwax, Jane's Addiction, Danny Brown, The Smile, even Death Cab although that was a push.

But I like the lineup overall. Deftones was a surprise, didn't consider Vampire Weekend at all, and I'd written off Justice - again there were rumours but I didn't think they would be on the lineup. Sandwell District, Roc Marciano and Tim Reaper are a must for me from the undercard. Loads of new bands and artists to check out too.

I think the vibe will be good, 2022 was too frantic at times so I hope next year is more chill and the usual Primavera we know. Idk I'm not super hyped right now but I know I will be next May. I already have an early bird ticket but don't think I'd pay 325 euros.

17 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

We haven't seen most other lineups yet to be fair....

Ah Primavera two years ago puts this is the ha'penny place....come on outta that.

I'll still go, I live in Spain, so barring hotels its no big deal for me, but there won't be many takers among my "gang". Two years ago there was over ten of us. This lineup won't even raise an eyebrow. Will find it hard to give away my spare ticket id say.

I seen the national 4 or 5 weeks ago in the Wizink centre in Madrid. They were great, and I look forward to see them again but its not WOW.

I seen them in Madcool 3 years ago with the Killers, Bon Iver, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure, Tash Sultana, Vampire Weekend, The Hives, Bonobo, Mogwai, Black Midi, John Hopkins. 

That looks like great value now in retrospect compared to this years Primavera poster.

It looks like LCD Soundsystem will be doing Madcool this year now....

Edited by Drums Please Fab

1 hour ago, pipan said:

Instead of heavily rumoured/guessed Travis Scott, Bad Bunny and Karol G, I've got Vampire Weekend (didn't see it coming), Phoenix (missed them in 2022 - twice) and Justice (didn't even dare to hope). So yeah, headliner-wise smaller than expected, but definitely can't complain.

Which are definitely 3 artists who are not relevant in 2024 and the main problem of this line up imo 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

For me, had they brought something different instead of The National and Phoenix, for example Massive Attack and a big rapper or smth like that, I think it would change the lineup as a whole. 

Once again let's wait and see how the other festivals are doing. Cause I have a feeling that next year might be not that good in general. Unless you're into bands like Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam, next year feels kind of meh. 

don't know about big rappers but seeing freddie gibbs/madlib performing pinata is an absolute treat. also saw another interesting hip hop artist called roc marciano which is worth checking out. wouldn't say i am delighted but i am shedding no tears for the absence of massive attack who i've seen several times over the years and whom I have found to have been consistently diappointing (and miserable) live. PS has never been all about the headliners (even though they are usually pretty specular) but about their incredible undercard and ability to shed light on artists that I have not come across before. gotta say that having spent the last few hours digging through the line up, I am super excited. also find it funny that peeps are sad about the absence of j and k pop as i have the impression that when PS introduced this genre into the mix, there was such an outcry that they werent keeping it indie anough. same with PC. haters gonna hate i guess. 

7 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

I don't disagree. The National I haven't seen in 2 years so I'd watch as a bonus if there's no clash, and I'm very likely skipping Phoenix, Vampire Weekend and Disclosure. But that's only headliners and it doesn't change much in the bigger picture.

Like every year, I think it is essentially guaranteed that no other festival will have this quality level of mid- and small-size undercard. Glastonbury are trying, but I feel they are ~2-5 yr too late in booking up and coming bands.

Whats happening now is exactly why I despise the absurd speculations without any basis beforehand. People throw in all sorts of Names without any indication, built up totally unrealistic expectations and then are disappointed if the line up doesn't cater to what simply has always been impossible, because the artists wished for are simply not touring Europe in May/June.

Not to say this line up is flawless or you have to like it, but much of the reactions here imply hopes left unfulfilled, that weren't ever gonna be fulfilled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Why is no one talking about Duster tho. Such an amazing booking, it's their first european date ever I think and they formed in 1997. Didn't release anything or played gigs in between 2000 and 2019 tho. They got some new appreciation lately and kind of reformed 4 years ago, only in the US tho until now. They do have quite some streams on Spotify, Inside Out has 174 mio, which is crazy for a slowcore-indie-rock song from the 90's. I'm so excited to see them.

Just now, Quadrophobia said:

Whats happening now is exactly why I despise the absurd speculations without any basis beforehand. People throw in all sorts of Names without any indication, built up totally unrealistic expectations and then are disappointed if the line up doesn't cater to what simply has always been impossible, because the artists wished for are simply not touring Europe in May/June.

Not to say this line up is flawless or you have to like it, but much of the reactions here imply hopes left unfulfilled, that weren't ever gonna be fulfilled.

I mean I agree that a lot of names that were considered (Karol G, Bad Bunny, Kylie Minogue, Massive Attack) and that ended up not coming maybe disappointed so people. On the other hand the lineup still feels empty for me. But for another reason. For the undercard. Just my personal opinion but I really expected The Smile, Danny Brown, Killer Mike, Sampha and many more. Plus a big lack of rap, trap, regeaeton, kpop and metal. The things that get me very excited tho are William Basinski, Jai Paul, Beth Gibbons and American Football. Very rare artists to see. Other than that I cannot justify 300 euros for it.

8 minutes ago, MrTobs said:

Why is no one talking about Duster tho. Such an amazing booking, it's their first european date ever I think and they formed in 1997. Didn't release anything or played gigs in between 2000 and 2019 tho. They got some new appreciation lately and kind of reformed 4 years ago, only in the US tho until now. They do have quite some streams on Spotify, Inside Out has 174 mio, which is crazy for a slowcore-indie-rock song from the 90's. I'm so excited to see them.

yep there are loads of bookings like this, people on here are just incredibly negative.

sad to see, will be avoiding this thread and instead getting a fat playlist made full of incredible varied music to listen to until June.

6 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

I mean I agree that a lot of names that were considered (Karol G, Bad Bunny, Kylie Minogue, Massive Attack) and that ended up not coming maybe disappointed so people. On the other hand the lineup still feels empty for me. But for another reason. For the undercard. Just my personal opinion but I really expected The Smile, Danny Brown, Killer Mike, Sampha and many more. Plus a big lack of rap, trap, regeaeton, kpop and metal. The things that get me very excited tho are William Basinski, Jai Paul, Beth Gibbons and American Football. Very rare artists to see. Other than that I cannot justify 300 euros for it.

Yeah and there was zero reason to expect them since none of them have any tourdates anywhere near Primavera and you set yourself up for disappointment

1 minute ago, scatteredscreens said:

yep there are loads of bookings like this, people on here are just incredibly negative.

sad to see, will be avoiding this thread and instead getting a fat playlist made full of incredible varied music to listen to until June.

Voxtrot too, really underappreciated Indie Band.

And with Brutus, Scowl, Militarie Gun, Wiegedood and Gel they brought some of the best "Hard" bands currently around.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Yeah and there was zero reason to expect them since none of them have any tourdates anywhere near Primavera and you set yourself up for disappointment

The Smile are literally touring next Spring without Spanish dates, Air touring literally next Spring, Lil Yachty moved all his tour European tour to May (I wonder why). Sampha rumoured to be at UK fests next summer. Plus many many more. Only Killer Mike and Danny Brown without dates, but I'm sure there will be some. My point is that I wanted artists that dropped albums this year (or dropping next year). 

4 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

The Smile are literally touring next Spring without Spanish dates, Air touring literally next Spring, Lil Yachty moved all his tour European tour to May (I wonder why). Sampha rumoured to be at UK fests next summer. Plus many many more. Only Killer Mike and Danny Brown without dates, but I'm sure there will be some. My point is that I wanted artists that dropped albums this year (or dropping next year). 

Yeah and as I keep saying, none of that is ay indication of PS. A spring tour says nothing about PS likelyhood, leaving out Spain doesn't either if they leave out Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Italy too. "Is rumoured" is just someone bringing up a name in 90% of the cases without proper knowledge. I get that you are disappointed but if you allow wild speculations to shape your expectation its something to be expected.

I wouldve loved The Walkmen but there was simply no concrete indication for them so thats that

I think lineup is good as always. However this doesn’t change the fact that it’s the worst lineup of the last editions together with 2019. 
main problem to me are the cheap re bookings that are far from being bonuses, i.e. the national. If the smile are not on this they will problably be touring us at the time. 
I agree it looks like 2019/2020 in terms of budget. Double primavera problably allowed them far more power 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

I think lineup is good as always. However this doesn’t change the fact that it’s the worst lineup of the last editions together with 2019. 
main problem to me are the cheap re bookings that are far from being bonuses, i.e. the national. If the smile are not on this they will problably be touring us at the time. 
I agree it looks like 2019/2020 in terms of budget. Double primavera problably allowed them far more power 

This I really get behind. The National and Phoenix are bands I love, but again after 2022? Same with Disclosure.

However Lana and Sza have never been to PS and for Pulp its been what, 15 years? I think thinking of them as "unoriginal" as is often implied here is just due to them being expected here, not there actual presence at former editions