Searches at the entrance gates

gooner1990

5 hours ago, Evilredzebra said:

I think "subject to search" means that you should be prepared for it but it's not necessarily going to happen. When we were driving into the car park one year, in a convoy of three or four cars, I got pulled for search randomly, said to the security guy "Oh no, going to lose my friends" and he just waved me through. I wasn't trying to hide anything, just didn't want to lose the rest of the group! 

I'm more concerned about the Sticklinch rules. We're only allowed to take in as much alcohol as we can carry. If we can carry it on a sack truck is that OK? It'll probably be one crate of lager and a box of wine!

The car park for Sticklinch is in the next field - its a 5min walk from the furthest tent to the car park.  So "as much as you can carry" could easily be done every morning (or more often than that)!

6 hours ago, Evilredzebra said:

I'm more concerned about the Sticklinch rules. We're only allowed to take in as much alcohol as we can carry. If we can carry it on a sack truck is that OK? It'll probably be one crate of lager and a box of wine!

There were people bringing wheelbarrows of stuff last year, so am sure you'll be fine

2017 was a bit of an outlier as it was just after the Manchester Arena bombings so security was heightened. I doubt this year will be any different to any other year. I've never been searched on the way in and I usually arrive when there are no queues when the opportunity for searching would be greater as there isn't thousands of people queueing.

The only times I've been searched more than a squeeze and a quick peek of my rucksack is when I've re-entered with an EPO band.

Unless you look extremely nervous, clearly under the influence, stink of weed or an arsehole, the security team just don't have the time to do proper searches on people and are more focused on keeping the queue moving.

I have only been searched once in 7 times at the festival but it was pretty thorough, they opened up my tent and even went through my make up bag etc so it took a while.

I think I was just unlucky and picked at random, seemed like I was being used as training exercise as it was 3 security doing it and one was directing the other two. I didn't mind the search itself but the security guard in charge was right up in my face repeatedly saying if I had anything illegal then I better tell them or I was going to be in trouble if they found something which just felt totally OTT. They didn't find anything so I was left to go on my way, it took a while though so I got totally separated from my friends, lucky we always camp in the same spot so I was able to find them again.

• Upvote 1

Only time I've been searched in my 7 festivals is when I was coming back in on the Thursday helping my friends with their stuff from the car parks. Although it was really quick as all I had on me was a small bag with money, cars and phone in plus a crate of their beer.

Every other time I get straight in, probably because we are at the gates for about 5am so are part of the 8am rush. Last year they did briefly set up a searching station whilst the queue was still stationary but they seemed to set that up half way back too so us lot at the front were all good.

I`ve only been searched once properly, they went through the plastic storage boxes on my sack barrow and took my axe off of me, they kept it at the search point and allowed me to collect it on my return trip to the car. I just put it in with my next load and brought it in on the next run 🙂  

2 minutes ago, THEBOILERMAN said:

I`ve only been searched once properly, they went through the plastic storage boxes on my sack barrow and took my axe off of me, they kept it at the search point and allowed me to collect it on my return trip to the car. I just put it in with my next load and brought it in on the next run 🙂  

We usually get asked to submit a list of items we're bringing that are on the prohibited list and get an exemption if we have a good reason for bringing them, e.g. an axe for chopping wood (many live in vehicles have wood burners).

Hasn't happened yet this year.

1 hour ago, goldfishboy said:

searches in previous years have seemed to be pretty random altho if you give off a certain vibe the likelihood probably goes up

Profiling isn't actually allowed, it's all about numbers - not the vibe you give off/the colour of your skin/how ginger you are etc.

The security supervisor at the gate will set a number based on how busy it is.   During busy times that may be 30 and every 30th person will get sent to the search table.  Quieter times and the number may be 5 and every 5th person will be sent to their fate.