Elton talks Glastonbury on Radio 2

George_92

On 5/30/2023 at 9:13 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

In all seriousness, not sure what there will honestly be in terms of setlist changes and/or losses. Would put money on the two guests being Kiki Dee and Dua Lipa.

Current show, at twenty-three songs, is coming in at 145 minutes. With an allotted 125 minutes overall, the need to add Don't Go Breaking My Heart in and the fact he is unlikely to lose Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - its position midway through the show allows for a quick break during its elongated intro - reckon we could be looking at something like this.

Bennie and the Jets
Philadelphia Freedom
I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues
Border Song
Tiny Dancer
Rocket Man (I Think It's Going to Be a Long, Long Time)
Someone Saved My Life Tonight
Don't Go Breaking My Heart (with Kiki Dee)
Candle in the Wind
10 Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
11 Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word
12 Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me
13 The Bitch Is Back
14 I'm Still Standing
15 Crocodile Rock
16 Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting

17 Cold Heart (with Dua Lipa)
18 Your Song
19 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

We lose Have Mercy on the CriminalTake Me to the PilotLevonBurn Down the Mission and Sad Songs (Say So Much) - arguably the five least known cuts in that set for a casual fan, which drops about twenty-five minutes out to make two hours. Add in Don't Go Breaking My Heart and, hey presto, that's your 125-minute farewell show.

(I understand the logic of a closing one-two with Your Song and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - but do kind of wish he'd swing for something more wildly energetic to end the encore. Switch out Your Song to go before Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting and put Crocodile Rock after Goodbye Yellow Brick Road to send everybody home in a singalong mood.)

Whole heartily agree but F4aF/Love Lies is my absolute fave. If you needed time (for Kiki) that's where I'd save it. 125 minutes doesn't do it justice!

On 5/30/2023 at 4:35 PM, Skip997 said:

I'm not familiar with his music, but he's a young "upcoming" star and much more fresh than Elton.

He would be a far better headliner IMO.

So you'd put Elton, one of the biggest things in the music industry, in the tea time slot...and then put a person you aren't familiar with in the headline slot because he's young. 

Good. Grief. 

On 5/30/2023 at 4:12 PM, Wherethewildthingsare2 said:

Praying for Kate Bush to sing Rocketman

Obviously the argument against, that Kate doesn’t play live is compelling!

However they do have some history. she covered Rocketman, she was a guest at his wedding, and he appeared on her last album. 

The timing is perfect with the success of Running Up that Hill last year introducing her to a whole new young audience and if he wanted a headline making guest who else would have a bigger impact!

So I too am praying, but realistically not really expecting!

45 minutes ago, Hsr1234 said:

Obviously the argument against, that Kate doesn’t play live is compelling!

However they do have some history. she covered Rocketman, she was a guest at his wedding, and he appeared on her last album. 

The timing is perfect with the success of Running Up that Hill last year introducing her to a whole new young audience and if he wanted a headline making guest who else would have a bigger impact!

So I too am praying, but realistically not really expecting!

Me too! Saw her in 2014 and know how much control she likes over a live show, but one song… we can hope!

11 hours ago, Baby On A Stick said:

Whole heartily agree but F4aF/Love Lies is my absolute fave. If you needed time (for Kiki) that's where I'd save it. 125 minutes doesn't do it justice!

Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding is a beauty. Been lucky to see Elton thrice, but only ticked that one off last year on the tour.

1 hour ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Surely Rod Stewart has to turn up. He’s in Plymouth the night before. 

Oh, that would be a gammon crowd-pleaser. But it would also get a lot of people asking whether he should have been in the Legends Slot over Cat Stevens too, if he could turn up.

On 5/31/2023 at 4:43 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Don't think I've heard his song with Rina S, but can't imagine it warrants taking up valuable setlist real estate when there are already more than enough classics MIA.

Think this is spot on.  It's a slow one too so not one to bang out at the farewell party of the decade.

I think we can expect some big hitters here.  If EJ calls and asks you to guest at his last UK gig, headlining Glastonbury then if you can make it, you say yes.  He'll know that so will have pulled out the stops.

Kiki Dee (unfortunately) is probably nailed on despite the fact she can't sing in tune any more.

I reckon they'll be a megastar duetting Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me.  Struggling to hazard a guess though.  Brandi Carlile would have been great, but she's touring Canada with P!nk.