First Time

danbailey80

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

They've not announced the food and drink vendors for this year yet, the subsection on the website still says "we're in the process of confirming all our culinary options for 2023, though we imagine many favourites will be returning"

Yeah, saw that. Just thought seeing as the Cider Bus is such an institution, someone might have the inside track on it.

Looking in the thread there was a follow up to say the complaint from the Cider bus was that they were being initially placed in a spot without food nearby and I guess they rely on a certain amount of people to do a food and pint run to get numbers. The Cider bus got what they wanted last year so I wonder if that took a bit more effort than they liked and it generally soured them on the festival.  Might be a bit of talk from the Cider Bus people to get a more preferential setup / rate on the back of a bit of a slight by the organisers.  Hopefully it'll be sorted.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, snipe said:

Looking in the thread there was a follow up to say the complaint from the Cider bus was that they were being initially placed in a spot without food nearby and I guess they rely on a certain amount of people to do a food and pint run to get numbers. The Cider bus got what they wanted last year so I wonder if that took a bit more effort than they liked and it generally soured them on the festival.  Might be a bit of talk from the Cider Bus people to get a more preferential setup / rate on the back of a bit of a slight by the organisers.  Hopefully it'll be sorted.

To answer my own question, I am happy to confirm that the Cider Bus will indeed be in situ this year. I fired them off a quick email this morning and they confirmed that they'll definitely be there. Phew.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stillill42 said:

To answer my own question, I am happy to confirm that the Cider Bus will indeed be in situ this year. I fired them off a quick email this morning and they confirmed that they'll definitely be there. Phew.

Woah, hold on now, I know you're new here, but you can't be bringing facts to a discussion in this place. There could have been 15 pages of argument, counterfactual hypothesis, schism, people calling each other c**ts and all sorts. Instead of which you 'fired off an email' and got an answer? I mean, really, I just don't know.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Woah, hold on now, I know you're new here, but you can't be bringing facts to a discussion in this place. There could have been 15 pages of argument, counterfactual hypothesis, schism, people calling each other c**ts and all sorts. Instead of which you 'fired off an email' and got an answer? I mean, really, I just don't know.

Could've kept us entertained, angry and petulant for a few weeks. 

There was loads of life left in this......

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I see what I've done there and apologise unreservedly. Wild speculation and unsubstantiated waffle from this point on.

• Like 1

I heard the people running the cider bus were *insert scurrilous rumour here*, and the reason they're probably not coming back is because last year EOTR Simon personally *insert even more scurrilous rumour here*

I've heard that the festival is in serious jeopardy because Simon has, personally, cut down half of the woods to accommodate the increased number of punters wanting to see acts on the Boat Stage.

They've also switched out the straw bales for hay bales, but only the pedants in attendance will notice.

I'm tempted to not drive this year, but wondering how easy it is getting a coach from London? Is it all pretty seamless or still a bit of a faff? Drive there is blissful, drive back is always horrendous, but it still feels easy on the Monday morning knowing you're in no real rush to leave. 

1 hour ago, oochie said:

I'm tempted to not drive this year, but wondering how easy it is getting a coach from London? Is it all pretty seamless or still a bit of a faff? Drive there is blissful, drive back is always horrendous, but it still feels easy on the Monday morning knowing you're in no real rush to leave. 

Easy enough from Victoria

Trains are pretty easy to be honest as well

2 hours ago, Neville Street said:

Cider Bus chat reminds me to pack double doses of ameprazole. It’s cold in the late evenings and a hot cider before bed is ideal, but can result in heartburn if I’m not dosed up 🍎🍺❤️🔥

And loperamide to halt the galloping shits afterwards.

• Upvote 1

Tumbleweed in here at the moment, lads. 5 short weeks out! Is nobody as excited as me about what lies ahead? I'm firing videos into the family WhatsApp, no response from the brothers or sister, all of whom are accompanying me to EOTR. Radio silence on efestivals, nothing on EOTR socials bar a message to politely inform me that if am indeed delayed on my flight over and miss the 11 o clock closure of the ticket office, I am indeed sleeping in a ditch. Make an effort folks, get your fingers out, tell me some EOTR sh*t.

I am excited. And also sending music suggestions to my sister and brother-in-law, who are coming for the first time. I know I'm going to have a pretty full-on five weeks at work between now and then, though, so I'm putting it to the back of my mind for the moment.

There's just not a huge amount to say at the moment, other than pointless speculation about the ??? act. It will liven up again when they announce the food vendors.

I guess a lot of us are veterans of the festival, so we know what to expect and therefore some of the "excitement" is tempered somewhat. But rest assured, we are very much looking forward to it

15 hours ago, Stillill42 said:

Tumbleweed in here at the moment, lads. 5 short weeks out! Is nobody as excited as me about what lies ahead? I'm firing videos into the family WhatsApp, no response from the brothers or sister, all of whom are accompanying me to EOTR. Radio silence on efestivals, nothing on EOTR socials bar a message to politely inform me that if am indeed delayed on my flight over and miss the 11 o clock closure of the ticket office, I am indeed sleeping in a ditch. Make an effort folks, get your fingers out, tell me some EOTR sh*t.

I need to stop finding bands! My days are already pretty clasharific (hoping the times coming out will solve some of that).

Speaking of times... when do they normally arrive?

15 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I need to stop finding bands! My days are already pretty clasharific (hoping the times coming out will solve some of that).

Speaking of times... when do they normally arrive?

Oh I hear ya! I'm having some craic with the Clashfinder! I have 3 packed days lined up, hardly a minute to catch my breath. I'm just a tad overheated with the prospect of a new and beautiful festival experience. It's my first EOTR but far from my first festival, I know the deal, I know I need to give myself a bit of breathing space to take the whole thing in, to explore, to be able to stumble across the unexpected. 

9 minutes ago, Stillill42 said:

Oh I hear ya! I'm having some craic with the Clashfinder! I have 3 packed days lined up, hardly a minute to catch my breath. I'm just a tad overheated with the prospect of a new and beautiful festival experience. It's my first EOTR but far from my first festival, I know the deal, I know I need to give myself a bit of breathing space to take the whole thing in, to explore, to be able to stumble across the unexpected. 

I made a pact with myself this year to spend more time at the piano stage in the woods!

6 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I made a pact with myself this year to spend more time at the piano stage in the woods!

Well yeah, someone mentioned earlier that Jeff Tweedy had done a stint there last time Wico played. Imagine missing that? Anyway, suffice to say I won't be bored.

25 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

It's a good pact, but those that do perform there only do a couple of songs. Usually one of theirs and a cover. And it's all filmed by The Line Of Best Fit, so there is a lot of setting up that happens around the same time. Can be a bit of a time drain, but special if you do happen to catch a "set". I, personally, wouldn't chose one of those secret sets over a full set I wanted to see elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, shoebox said:

It's a good pact, but those that do perform there only do a couple of songs. Usually one of theirs and a cover. And it's all filmed by The Line Of Best Fit, so there is a lot of setting up that happens around the same time. Can be a bit of a time drain, but special if you do happen to catch a "set". I, personally, wouldn't chose one of those secret sets over a full set I wanted to see elsewhere.

I agree. I enjoyed the little Magnetic Fields one last year, but was also quite busy by the time I got there so could barely see, and if there's nothing on at the same time you want to see, great, but I wouldn't want to miss a better view and full set somewhere else.

I think the main one I'd have wanted to see this year would have been a Jeff Tweedy one, tbh. So a shame Wilco playing Thursday.

However, I thought Dehd in the van was awesome. So, more secret van sets please (think that was band led though!)

Edited by jplewes