Slam Dunk 2024

Dukey

On 8/30/2023 at 11:18 PM, northernangel said:

Sorry I thought it was Trees thread. 

The show before, is still hosted by Futuresound / Slamdunk I believe. Same with Nofx this year. So, effectively a Slamdunk booking (pretty much). Either way, YouMe@6 is a massively underwhelming booking, but will be plenty going on at other stages I'm sure.

22 hours ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Have they still not actually announced the dates/venues outside of the posters at the event? I find that a bit odd

Wow you're right. The website is still all about 2023, which was over 3 months ago. Do we think maybe they could take a gap year to reassess?

21 minutes ago, Swansea93 said:

The festival had posters up advertising the dates for 2024.

This is true, but if you are someone like me who wasnt at the festival, then looking online would give you absoultely no info about 2024 which is extremely odd in my opinion.

Most festivals would immediately be posting about the next years event as soon as the current one ended (with a lot doing early bird tickets, etc). That being said, I feel like they would have had a terrible reaction to doing that given the various issues they appeared to face this year.

Yeah I saw the poster at the festival too, but the amount of negative feedback could have made them think twice about doing it again at the same site. Site moves take time and a lot of planning, so a year off might suit them. To be honest, the suggestions floating about for bands aren't great either, so now is the best time for a year off and come back somewhere else bigger and better. 

I highly doubt they will. I think we'll end up with the same sites and another shitshow but one can dream. 

On 9/6/2023 at 9:35 PM, RonanM said:

This is true, but if you are someone like me who wasnt at the festival, then looking online would give you absoultely no info about 2024 which is extremely odd in my opinion.

Most festivals would immediately be posting about the next years event as soon as the current one ended (with a lot doing early bird tickets, etc). That being said, I feel like they would have had a terrible reaction to doing that given the various issues they appeared to face this year.

Good point, Slam Dunk have terrible communication.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:58 AM, Gejonimo said:

Yeah I saw the poster at the festival too, but the amount of negative feedback could have made them think twice about doing it again at the same site. Site moves take time and a lot of planning, so a year off might suit them. To be honest, the suggestions floating about for bands aren't great either, so now is the best time for a year off and come back somewhere else bigger and better. 

I highly doubt they will. I think we'll end up with the same sites and another shitshow but one can dream. 

Getting rid of the extra day NOFX did would make a big difference to traffic etc.

I have a slight hunch that Hatfield may try to move to Hylands Park to accomodate better parking options.

They also don't have to think about Creamfields next year there being a week after because the South site has been cancelled.

1 minute ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

A report on the problems is out. Surprise surprise people are still moaning as they can't read properly.

It also mentions the first announcement will be in the next few weeks.

I haven't read it but it but from what from I got the public are essentially being blamed for spending money on things the festival want people to spend money on.

I didn't think South was over sold but it is clearly obvious they although they don't say there is a parking limitatuon, that they don't have space for everyone. I got picked up on a different road this time the other side of the railway bridge due to the sh*t show the previous year and we got out fine. I would not have wanted to drive in though, I sold a ticket to someone coming from Cambridge and they had a nightmare arriving.

5 minutes ago, northernangel said:

I haven't read it but it but from what from I got the public are essentially being blamed for spending money on things the festival want people to spend money on.

I didn't think South was over sold but it is clearly obvious they although they don't say there is a parking limitatuon, that they don't have space for everyone. I got picked up on a different road this time the other side of the railway bridge due to the sh*t show the previous year and we got out fine. I would not have wanted to drive in though, I sold a ticket to someone coming from Cambridge and they had a nightmare arriving.

Yeah, the public, who decided to not read the bit where they took full responsibility for what happened before listing what they'd found caused the problems, and morons just decided they're blaming them even though they specifically stated they're being honest about what caused them but are still taking all responsibility 

1 minute ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Yeah, the public, who decided to not read the bit where they took full responsibility for what happened before listing what they'd found caused the problems, and morons just decided they're blaming them even though they specifically stated they're being honest about what caused them but are still taking all responsibility 

The Facebook comments are dumb. Like you said, people can't read and then the top liked comment says 'Make it smaller and bring it back to Leeds city centre' like the best way to fix the issues is to regress

1 hour ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

I do agree though that, regardless, people should be compensated for car parking or something if they've arrived with plenty of time and were not able to get in to see bands they paid to see.

A festival can't just decide, we were not expecting this. There was no a train problem but there easily could have been.

My view is fairplay for acknowledging your mistakes and striving to do better but compensate those who have suffered in this instance.

Edited by northernangel

On 9/1/2023 at 10:57 PM, Jericode said:

Homesick in full would be pretty sweet.

Still fully expecting Boys Like Girls to get a decent slot now they're back.

The things I’d do for a Homesick full album show. 

Boys Like Girls will definitely be there, I’d assume headlining key club on one side with YMAS on the other side. 

Depending on how sour the relationship is since they keep getting booked and cancel, I could see The Used there doing In Love and Death in full for the 20th anniversary

4 hours ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

I reckon it might be Busted y'know. The "new" album is very much aimed at the pop punk community, went down well the other year as a secret set.

It would piss a lot of attendees off though tbf plus they’ve got to be too big with how well their own tour sold. 

6 minutes ago, jcarb said:

It would piss a lot of attendees off though tbf plus they’ve got to be too big with how well their own tour sold. 

They've always been massive, and take insultingly low billings at festivals for some reason.

I just think they'd fancy it as I reckon they're attempting to reach the pop punk crowd, which less be honest they are a pop punk band, it was because they had Simon Cowell behind them that they got such mainstream attention.

Busted were fine as a novelty booking but really don’t see them being booked as an out and out headliner. There would for sure be a large portion of the crowd who would love it, but I feel like it wouldn’t be a direction the festival would want to head in and would piss off a lot of people too.